Where Spydercos Fall Short

OH one more . . .

I want to like Spyderco knives, really want to. As someone else mentioned, the "pocket obstruction" factor of most of their knives make them not work for me which is frustrating.

Everybody knows a "REAL" knife goes in a sheath or belt pouch.
Everything else is just a sucky compromise. Part of the reason I keep buying folders with "super steel" and then putting full thickness handles on them and then they wind up in a belt pouch.

It boils down to do you/we want something thin and slab sided that admits pocket traffic or a knife that actually feels good in hand with a versatile handle. Compare Griptillian (good out of pocket) to many titanium slab sided knives (good in pocket but kind of tippy and slick in hand).

Spyderco hits a pretty fair medium; thinnish but many have traction surfaces on the slabs.

I see where the OP is coming from, I don't think anyone should take offense either, especially if your relationship with Spyderco is simply as a consumer.

Sometimes I wish their blades were less stubby but I've gotten over it for the most part.

I want to like Spyderco knives, really want to. As someone else mentioned, the "pocket obstruction" factor of most of their knives make them not work for me which is frustrating. I do have a Bradley Air on the way and I really hope it will be slim enough (from spine to handle when closed). I'll be machining a pocket clip for that if it is.

Totally not Spyderco's fault but i always picture grown men thinking it's cute and talking in a faux child's voice when I read people referring to their knives as "Spydies" or "Millies".

Tip up, those blades tuck nicely on the side of my pocket.

I feel the exact opposite... Compared to many Cold Steels, China titaniums, ZT's, some Benchmades, and many Customs.... Spydercos actually makes plenty of slim knives that disappear in the pocket compared to some of those brick pocket hogs (even with their wide blades). Of course, it depends on the model but you can't tell me that a 4 inch Endura or Military compared to a 4 inch Voyager or ZT Brick takes more space.

Especially in hot climates where I minimize weight and bulk, many Spydercos work well.

This is so odd now that I switched from a Cold Steel Ultimate Hunter and my camp pocket carry, to a Delica. I love the small blade, small handling feel of it when just cutting paracord or packaging, etc. at a campsite. That said, I've recently experimented with a ZT0562 as well, and if I could only carry one folder, it would be the 0562 or an XM18, but the Delica is great when you have a decent fixed blade around.

My PM2, meh. Feels ok, flips open nicely, and like any Spydie, it's an amazing slicer, but at that size I'd reach for the XM18.

Anyway, now you have me shopping for another Spyderco, thanks. LOL

I'm surprised at how many negative replies this thread has gotten, probably because the subject is Spyderco. A "catchy" title caused Spydie fans to construe it as an attack on the brand.

I think the OP presented a well-framed discussion of something he values in a knife. Considering all the navel gazing that is done about other metrics here, I think folks should be a little more accepting of the OP's discussion, and should contribute in the vein of the thread, or just resist the urge to bash him.

A ton of people basically said, "If I like a knife I buy it". Well, what the OP did was take a hard look at WHY he likes WHAT he likes. What's wrong with that?

No, it's not the Spyderco bashing I object to--this is the internet, trolling is like normal behavior. What's "wrong with that" in my eyes is trying to use numbers to support an argument that is entirely unrelated to the numbers in question. Essentially, his argument boils down to: 1. These are the ratios I have looked at 2. Knives are better when this ratio hits a number I consider maximized. There is no well-framed discussion here, it is a simple statement of opinion. So essentially it is a bash thread, and it is no surprise that others have replied in kind.

No, it's not the Spyderco bashing I object to--this is the internet, trolling is like normal behavior. What's "wrong with that" in my eyes is trying to use numbers to support an argument that is entirely unrelated to the numbers in question. Essentially, his argument boils down to: 1. These are the ratios I have looked at 2. Knives are better when this ratio hits a number I consider maximized. There is no well-framed discussion here, it is a simple statement of opinion. So essentially it is a bash thread, and it is no surprise that others have replied in kind.

Agreed. The OP was nothing but an opinion masquerading as a statement of fact. Others just chimed in with their opinions. No bashing at all except maybe 1 or 2 posts.

Everybody knows a "REAL" knife goes in a sheath or belt pouch.

Oh hell no; I hate having crap all over my belt.
I recently had to wear a heart monitor for 72 hours, and even more annoying than all the wires stuck to me was having to wear that damned thing on my belt.

Pocket knives are great for pockets...even a 10.2 ounce one goes in my pocket rather than on my belt.
Fixed blades go in a pack, or get carried baldric style.

Did I mention that I hate having stuff on my belt? :D

If OP does want a Spyderco with better ratios, the Sliverax is now available and would be at 0.435 by the math you're using.

I agree totally. Ergos along with an ample cutting edge trump put pure cutting edge every time in my opinion.

I when through a period where I was carrying larger blades, but for general usage I found that 2" will generally be more than enough for most EDC tasks.

Two inches? Not me, I've found the SAK Cadet is as small I want to go at 2 1/2 inches. Even then, I would prefer something with a 3-3 1/2 inch blade. I really don't see how a 2" blade can truely meet someone's EDC needs.

One of my all time favorite folders is the US made Kershaw Zing. Three inch blade with a four inch handle. Fantastic ergos, too.
More than once I have found my self having a desire for a slightley longer blade than the Zing offers but, always have been hindered by pocket real estate issues.

The solution for me was the Benchmade 531 with the Volli as a runner up. Both sport a 3 1/4 inch blade which, for me, is a nice compromise when compared with other knives on the market. Both knives also offer decent size handles. Always a plus in my book.

If I hade to buy again, there's a good chance I'd buy a Bugout.

Totally not Spyderco's fault but i always picture grown men thinking it's cute and talking in a faux child's voice when I read people referring to their knives as "Spydies" or "Millies".
Agreed, especially when they're eating sammies in their camies.

One of my all time favorite folders is the US made Kershaw Zing. Three inch blade with a four inch handle. Fantastic ergos, too.
More than once I have found my self having a desire for a slightley longer blade than the Zing offers but, always have been hindered by pocket real estate issues.

If I hade to buy again, there's a good chance I'd buy a Bugout.

You won't be disappointed with the Bugout. It's a fantastic carry, and a genuine joy to use.

I bought the Kershaw Zing when I saw it on sale for under $20. It's a great little introductory framelock. I agree, the ergos are actually pretty good.

I looked at that Silverax that Insipid threw out there. Great ratio indeed, and I ax-ually like the design. Friggin' wire clip though.

You won't be disappointed with the Bugout. It's a fantastic carry, and a genuine joy to use.

aaaaahDnO . . . looks like a blue envelope with a knife blade in it. Thin . . . flat . . . rectangular . . . a good last resort but EDC . . . ? Why ?

The antithesis of my Grail which . . . Stabman . . . is pretty great loose in the bottom of my pocket . . . too much crap in my pockets :( though so I don't want to beat up my knives that way.
can't win o_O
:)

I bought the Kershaw Zing when I saw it on sale for under $20. It's a great little introductory framelock. I agree, the ergos are actually pretty good.

I looked at that Silverax that Insipid threw out there. Great ratio indeed, and I ax-ually like the design. Friggin' wire clip though.
I think your Zing is all stainless. If so, it is a different version than mine. Google the Zing and look at the US models. Orange or black handle, fluted blade.

As for the Bugout, it's close to the 531. I already own one of those. If I loose the 531, I will replace it with the Bugout.

Yeah, Sabre, mine's all stainless. Didn't see the US made one when I purchased this one.

Wowbagger... "Why?"... 'Cuz the "C" in "EDC" is for "Carry". And it carries awesome. I like it better than the 530 it replaced, anyhow.

Yeah, Sabre, mine's all stainless. Didn't see the US made one when I purchased this one.

Wowbagger... "Why?"... 'Cuz the "C" in "EDC" is for "Carry". And it carries awesome. I like it better than the 530 it replaced, anyhow.

I have to agree with Velitrius on this one. The Bugout is an amazing knife even if it is a little high on the price. Decent steel, Axis Lock, and super lightweight at 1.8 oz. IMHO, it is a better knife than Benchmade's 530, 531 or the Volli. The closest knife to it is the exclusive REI 531 at $165.00. The street price of the Bugout is $115.00. Name another American made, slim, super lightweight knife on the market with comparable blade steel and egos.

Back