Test ad

Which of my knives should I not carry on me?

DMG

Gold Member
Hello, I am new to the forums, and I look forward to hearing your thoughts. I currently have 7 blades that are either on me (5 or 6) or close by (1 or 2) and although I have the various knives I do for specific reasons (I will explain) I am unsure if I am carrying too many. Also, because they all make sense for me to carry, I figure it makes more sense for me to ask you all which ones I shouldn't carry (and why) rather than which ones I should; however, if you prefer answering in the positive rather than the negative, it won't bother me. So here goes. I have an 8in custom bowie with the back half of its spine being saw teeth, and the bottom 3in of the blade closer to my hand (sorry I don't know the terminology for that location) is a scandi grind: this is my main 'survival knife' (it is on my belt in its sheath unless I am somewhere that is not ok and then it is in my car). I have a Condor Bushlore in my left inside jacket pocket: this is my bushcraft primary knife. I have a Kabar Mule (Tanto, half serrated) clipped inside my right pants front pocket (I would call it my secondary 'survival knife'). I have a Condor Otzi neck knife around my neck, under my shirt (its a small blade utility knife). I have a John Deere multitool in my right inside jacket pocket. I have an 'Omniblade' in my backpack which is a kukri/saw/hatchet combination. And lastly, I have a Boker Magnum Rustic lockback pocket knife loose in my left pants front pocket (this is the one I usually let others use when they ask if someone has a knife). In a lot of ways this doesn't feel like a lot to me, and its not uncomfortable, but also, I do sometimes think it is excessive... what are the thoughts of you who are reading this?

as I was reading my way down the list I was expecting to hear that you keep a Opinel in your prison wallet.

Hello, I am new to the forums, and I look forward to hearing your thoughts. I currently have 7 blades that are either on me (5 or 6) or close by (1 or 2) and although I have the various knives I do for specific reasons (I will explain) I am unsure if I am carrying too many. Also, because they all make sense for me to carry, I figure it makes more sense for me to ask you all which ones I shouldn't carry (and why) rather than which ones I should; however, if you prefer answering in the positive rather than the negative, it won't bother me. So here goes. I have an 8in custom bowie with the back half of its spine being saw teeth, and the bottom 3in of the blade closer to my hand (sorry I don't know the terminology for that location) is a scandi grind: this is my main 'survival knife' (it is on my belt in its sheath unless I am somewhere that is not ok and then it is in my car). I have a Condor Bushlore in my left inside jacket pocket: this is my bushcraft primary knife. I have a Kabar Mule (Tanto, half serrated) clipped inside my right pants front pocket (I would call it my secondary 'survival knife'). I have a Condor Otzi neck knife around my neck, under my shirt (its a small blade utility knife). I have a John Deere multitool in my right inside jacket pocket. I have an 'Omniblade' in my backpack which is a kukri/saw/hatchet combination. And lastly, I have a Boker Magnum Rustic lockback pocket knife loose in my left pants front pocket (this is the one I usually let others use when they ask if someone has a knife). In a lot of ways this doesn't feel like a lot to me, and its not uncomfortable, but also, I do sometimes think it is excessive... what are the thoughts of you who are reading this?

Are you a ninja? If not that is too many knives.

Hurrul

Gold Member
This always cracks me up. People before civilization didn't have so called formal training. It's called natural instinct and common sense. Throw your behind out in the wilderness unexpectedly and see how quickly you start learning to survive. Humans have persevered for a reason.
Your post cracks me up.
https://bladeforums.com/threads/well-its-time-to-start-thinking-about-knife-storage-sigh.1783391/
I think if your common sense can't help you determine on your own, what sort of box you could use to store your knives in, then you should certainly not throw your own behind into any remote wild areas. Not without some actual training and practical experience from others possessing skills and abilities passed down to them. That training might give you some insight into surviving for a week and further, some glimpse into how it could be possible to thrive on the land for many generations as a tribe/community/society would have done in the past.

WValtakis

Hand Engraving, Ti anodizing, and mods
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
What is the knife directly to the right of the pearl handled knife and what is the 3rd one to the right of it? If you don't mind me asking...
Screenshot_20210405-183956_Chrome.jpg

These two? Tommy Ware (Wano Knives) bolster release auto engraved by me, and a Woods/Irie Mk2 "Classic" Swing-lock.

Humans persevere because they are taught to by those who have experience and didn't get eaten by saber-toothed tigers. Let's be real, a lot of people have not survived. And I find the people that aren't trained bring a lot of useless junk with them, like 8 knives for example.
Are you talking shit? Why? I was not rude, you have no reason to be. You can read something else if this thread bothers you.

Carry what you want to carry. As long as it’s not so much you feel it’s an inconvenience.

Personally, I carry a couple SAKs; one small one (either my Executive or Alox Minichamp) and a medium one (either my Spartan or Pioneer). Then I carry one clip knife (lately, my Spyderco PM2). I mostly wear cargo pants. The SAKs carry easily in RF (small SAK) and left cargo (medium SAK) pockets, and the clip knife in my RF pocket. Those handle pretty much anything I need in an urban/suburban environment. Often more than I actually need. But that’s me.

Our knife carry habits can be as unique as our fingerprints.

Jim

View attachment 1540988

These two? Tommy Ware (Wano Knives) bolster release auto engraved by me, and a Woods/Irie Mk2 "Classic" Swing-lock.
The other one I was asking about was the one between those with no bolster that looks like it could open front flipper or thumbstud. Yeah i guess that was confusing i meant 1st and 3rd from the pearl knife.. Thanks for the answer. Also your engraving looks awesome

Last edited:

Steely_Gunz

Got the Khukuri fevah
Threads like this always help me decide which forum members I want to have in my foxhole and who I would lobby to eat first in an emergency.

I just feel bad spending all those summers growing up learning how to ID plants, make snares, and dig fish corrals in the creek. I didn't know I could just know stuff. What a wasted youth.

To tie this back to the OP, if you find use (or even just find joy) in carrying that many knives in your edc, go for it. Im more about doing more with less these days. Hell, my old man has been working in the dirt, walking in the woods, and even protecting himself with a Buck 110 for going on half a century. He just has never felt the need to carry anything else.

I personally like a little specialization, but I find the most joy in carrying a tool set that I know how to use and will use. There was a time not too long ago where I carried a kit of all kinds of stuff: multitool, knife, back up knife, SD knife, firearm, 2 magazines, emergency kit, etc. It just got to be too much, and I found myself being held hostage by fretting about what I put in my pockets or stapped to my belt. These days, I roll out of house with about 1/3 as much stuff. I've never felt lacking, and my back certainly appreciates it. There is a bit of catharsis to liberating yourself from stuff.

However, at the end of the day, whatever floats your boat. Enjoy the journey.

Personally I carry just 2 on me. A Stockman (Case, Schrade USA or Buck) and a Farmer. In a small pack that goes everywhere with me I carry an original Leatherman ( only used it a few times) and a Fieldmaster. I also carry a small fixed blade that varies in make, model and size

When I think of the subject of "carrying too many knives" I think about a conversation at work one day (shipping dock).

We were sitting around at lunch and the topic of "how many knives do you carry?" came up (knives being a common tool at work). One guy said he carried four. Another guy, who was inclined towards being a jerk started to ridicule him for being silly and carrying so many. I knew the guy (the jerk) and so I asked him how many knives he carried. He proudly said "Just two", then pointed out the fixed on his belt and the folder clipped to his pocket.

So I then asked him about the big Leatherman multi-tool on his belt (with a knife blade), and the little SAK and mini Spyderco folder on his massive keychain (I guess he forgot about those). His response was "Oh, yeah".

That was a total of FIVE knives he was carrying. Plus the box cutter/utility knife issued by the company that I often saw him carrying around work (six).

I never heard him say another critical word about how many knives other people carried.

WValtakis

Hand Engraving, Ti anodizing, and mods
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
The other one I was asking about was the one between those with no bolster that looks like it could open front flipper or thumbstud. Yeah i guess that was confusing i meant 1st and 3rd from the pearl knife.. Thanks for the answer. Also your engraving looks awesome
That's a Rockstead Higo-x in desert ironwood, with a hollow regrind and repolish:)

16176787491446926760778150032488.jpg

Henry Beige

Gold Member
If it were me, I’d ditch the sawback bowie. For me, it’s a question of esthetics and comfort. I don’t like to wear a knife on my belt, especially a great big one. For you, it could be because saws on the backs of knives are usually crap. A folding silky saw will saw a lot better, and won’t take up any more space than your knife.

As for your other knives, I can’t cavil. I carry three knives, and two of them are redundant. I just carry them because they are fun.

unwisefool

Gold Member
Are you talking shit? Why? I was not rude, you have no reason to be. You can read something else if this thread bothers you.
I wasn't being rude, merely making an observation. 8 knives for a "survival" situation doesn't make sense. If you somehow feel personally attacked by that statement, that's on you. I think you know carrying 7 or 8 knives on your person is overkill, or else you probably wouldn't have started this thread.

Mako109

Gold Member

Too many? Nah...
TlOOzYrh.jpg

Last edited:
I max out at four or five blades, including a multitool and a swisscard. A folder in the pocket, a fixed blade and a MT in the backpack. A Chaparral with a SwissCard in the wallet. But all this is only when I leave home and even then, I leave the backpack at home most of the time.
A three to four inch folder is all I really carry.

edit: I did a few challenges, when I would use only one knife for literally everything for a full month. Even just picking 'The One' is already a lot of fun, with so many things to consider. Then you learn to use that one knife in different ways, really getting to know it both strengths and limitations. It is all fun and kinda empowering.

Also, I usually picked knives with good edge retention steels, the edge would last me for weeks, even with hard daily use. One reason to carry a lot of knives is when they dull quickly.

Last edited:

Adamas

Gold Member
I thought maybe the OP was trolling, but maybe not. Anyway, yes that is too many knives to carry in my opinion. Way too excessive! The joy for me is picking which one to carry.

Mr.sig239

Gold Member
I usually have 3 in my pockets. Plus I have 2 bigger ones in my truck along with a hatchet.
pockets.JPG