Which Spyderco are you carrying today?

INSt3ng.jpg

This is one of those knives that'll never be sold. I was cutting some cardboard the other day at work and a couple of people were actually alarmed at how sharp it was.
I wasn't being weird with it or anything. It just was clearly miles sharper than the razor knives they were using.
It's an outstanding arrangement - the steel, the blade geometry, the build... it just does what I want it to do without a whimper.
It laughed at the 2x4s that I had to take the bumps off of.

I recently bought two plain edged Gen 1 Endura Clip-its (C10PBK) off of eBay; they're the old FRN Enduras w/the molded plastic clips on them.

Bought them because I already owned a pair of vintage Enduras w/combo and fully serrated blades that I bought in the 90's and wanted to complete the set w/a plain edged version.

The 1st one I bought is the one at the top of the photo. It was used w/a dulled tip. Got a good price for it because of its poor condition. It wasn't a perfect match to the other Enduras because it did not have the steel type stamped on the blade, which meant that it actually preceded the ones that I already had which were each stamped AUS-8.

Sent the 1st one to Spyderco to reshape and sharpen the blade. They did a good job of it, as you can see in the photo. The tip looks brand new but, what you won't really notice, is that they had to shorten the blade about 1/16" of an inch to do it. They also were unable (or didn't bother) to try to remove some discoloration (not sure if it's corrosion or not) from the blade that you can see in the photo. So, the knife is just a user (rather than a collector piece) for me.

Since I wasn't entirely satisfied w/the 1st one, I kept looking and found the 2nd one at the bottom of the photo which actually is a perfect match with the other 2 knives because it's also stamped AUS-8. So, now I have a complete vintage Gen 1 Endura knife set, as well as one that I can use and abuse.

Long story short, I'm carrying the user Gen 1 Endura at the top of the photo today. ;)

attachment.php

Last edited:
I carried my Benchmade Valet today but when I checked my mailbox my Mantra was in! I look forward to carrying it tomorrow, what a great knife! First few flips were duds but I'm getting used to the action and really like it. It was a tough choice between the Mantra and Mantra 2 but I'm glad I picked this one!

Back