Which Spyderco are you carrying today?

Info on those scales, please!

Aramis "Swift" CF scales + backspacer, custom ordered for knife sans clip (this is a 204p 2017+ Millie). Love them - makes the knife light and sturdy and improves blade/handle ratio (quarter inch shorter than stock scales).

C0guxfc.jpg

^^^^Mine just arrived today, David, and immediately into the pocket it went. Lovely knife.

After wandering somewhat randomly thru my Spyderco collection recently, pocketing whatever knife appealed to me on a certain day, today I chose a knife that has appealed to me from day 1, the Tropen.

c237gp.1.jpg

It's been a controversial knife ever since it was released in Jan, because of the fear mongering over the dreaded 1/2" of exposed edge in the closed position but I have yet to be cut on that edge (or in any other way) by this knife. The blade shape is also off-putting for a lot of people who don't "get" what this knife is all about.

This is knife designed specifically as a SD/fighting knife. You can see this from the upswept blade, designed well for both slashing and stabbing. The shallow swale on the spine which can used for certain block/capture knife fighting techniques. The long handle, both ends of which can be use to make non-bladed blunt force strikes (like you would w/a kubuton) when closed, the rear end only when open; and, of course, the wave tab, which enables quick out of pocket deployment. It is also notable that the handle was designed so that it could be held comfortably and securely in both a conventional and reverse hand grip; just another indication of its actual purpose.

Lastly, I like the fact that the knife can be opened in 5 different ways; far more than any other folding knife that I know of (whether made by Spyderco or not) using: 1) the flipper, 2) the wave tab from the pocket, 3) the Spydie hole or wave tab w/the thumb, 4) a vertical gravity flick or 5) a horizontal wrist flick; the last 2 methods enabled by a relatively (but not too) light detent common to Taichung made Spyderco knives. The very attractive polished G10 (reminiscent of "old school" micarta) and the polished clip (reducing evidence of pocket wear) are just extra cherries on top of all of the other great features designed into this knife.

Definitely one of my favorite knives made by any company, not just Spyderco, and I'm going to carry it for more than just a day or 2, like I have been doing w/the others. :)

Last edited:
I tracked down a discontinued Byrd Robin in it's serrated form and have been rocking that and putting through a lot of work in the last week or two I've had it. It amazes me it was discontinued it's such a great little knife in serrated form.

I'm thinking I may need a serrated h1 dragonfly in the normal leaf shape blade or hawkbills now.

I tracked down a discontinued Byrd Robin in it's serrated form and have been rocking that and putting through a lot of work in the last week or two I've had it. It amazes me it was discontinued it's such a great little knife in serrated form.

I'm thinking I may need a serrated h1 dragonfly in the normal leaf shape blade or hawkbills now.

Try the hawkbill, I think you'll be impressed.

I started with the Byrd Hawkbill, good blade I just hate the ergonomics. I'm still torn on what blade design I like more.

Well the dragonfly is the same, straight or hawkbill as ergos go. I like the regular blade fine but the hawkbill serrated is an awesome cutter. If youre going to go serrated then hawkbill is the way to go on that knife imo.

Back