Who else uses a scythe?

It does definitely have a "frowning" spot just forward of the heel. You'll want to knock that out with a few firm but gentle blows of a hammer along the top of the spine, with the blade sitting atop a good anvil surface. Should come out without too much trouble. Might need to take an excessive "smile" out of the forward end, too. In the event that you have any wrinkles in the web of the blade in spite of the back following the correct gradual rise, you can gently use a monkey wrench to tweak the web back into alignment. Just be careful, though--the fact that that blade does have some bends means it's not likely to be a problem, but some Kelly-marked blades are crazy hard and you want to make sure you're being sensitive to the amount of strain the blade's willing to take.

It does definitely have a "frowning" spot just forward of the heel. You'll want to knock that out with a few firm but gentle blows of a hammer along the top of the spine, with the blade sitting atop a good anvil surface. Should come out without too much trouble. Might need to take an excessive "smile" out of the forward end, too. In the event that you have any wrinkles in the web of the blade in spite of the back following the correct gradual rise, you can gently use a monkey wrench to tweak the web back into alignment. Just be careful, though--the fact that that blade does have some bends means it's not likely to be a problem, but some Kelly-marked blades are crazy hard and you want to make sure you're being sensitive to the amount of strain the blade's willing to take.

Thank you fortytwo :thumbsup::thumbsup:

...WPA stamped in along with a word or letters I can't make out stamped in after and below WPA...
It looks like KELLY is stamped on the tang. Also looks like the tang was bent intentionally to properly set the tang steepness, as Lieblad mentioned.

20171212_220848.jpg

It looks like KELLY is stamped on the tang. Also looks like the tang was bent intentionally to properly set the tang steepness, as Lieblad mentioned.

20171212_220848.jpg

Thank you Steve, I wasn't sure if that is what Lieblad meant and if the Tang he referred to was this part or something else. I needed to call it a night last night though.
I need to learn about the different parts of the scythe before i ask any more questions and later this morning I will affix the Kelly Blade to the handle and see what she looks and feel like, and post a picture or two to get some feesback.

Thank you Steve, I wasn't sure if that is what Lieblad meant and if the Tang he referred to was this part or something else. I needed to call it a night last night though.
I need to learn about the different parts of the scythe before i ask any more questions and later this morning I will affix the Kelly Blade to the handle and see what she looks and feel like, and post a picture or two to get some feesback.

As far as terminology goes, this may help. :)

As far as terminology goes, this may help. :)

That more than may help...it fully helps. Very detailed, you answered my questions as i read on and the index of the scythe' s parts and terms is excellent...the pictures help greatly :thumbsup::)

Thank you:cool:

I lost my morning to other priorities but hope to assemble and post some pictures later this afternoon of the Kelly Blade on the snath;)

Did I come across a video of yours earlier in the fall demonstrating the use of the scythe?
I did see the video of the barefoot girl beating the landscaper with his weed wacker:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:I liked that one:cool:

That more than may help...it fully helps. Very detailed, you answered my questions as i read on and the index of the scythe' s parts and terms is excellent...the pictures help greatly :thumbsup::)

Thank you:cool:

I lost my morning to other priorities but hope to assemble and post some pictures later this afternoon of the Kelly Blade on the snath;)

Did I come across a video of yours earlier in the fall demonstrating the use of the scythe?
I did see the video of the barefoot girl beating the landscaper with his weed wacker:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:I liked that one:cool:

You very may well have. I've done a number of videos with them, though my earlier ones are clumsy compared to my skill level now. It also sounds like you're perhaps combining two videos in your head--the one against a weed whacker was probably the one with Simon Damant, while the "barefoot girl" one would be of Ashley Vido, and I don't think she's ever engaged in such a race. :)

Please do bear in mind that I need to edit and add a whole bunch of stuff to the written guide to reflect my more recent experiences and discoveries. It's not too far off what it should be, but there are a few things I need to change.

You very may well have. I've done a number of videos with them, though my earlier ones are clumsy compared to my skill level now. It also sounds like you're perhaps combining two videos in your head--the one against a weed whacker was probably the one with Simon Damant, while the "barefoot girl" one would be of Ashley Vido, and I don't think she's ever engaged in such a race. :)

Please do bear in mind that I need to edit and add a whole bunch of stuff to the written guide to reflect my more recent experiences and discoveries. It's not too far off what it should be, but there are a few things I need to change.

Yes you are most probably correct that I am combining memories of of videos LOL!

I am certain that whatever videos I have watched of you using the scythe, will only help me. No where but up from the ground level start point I am at :thumbsup:

Thanks fortytwo, very helpful.

I managed to take some photos, unfortunately by the time I did get to assemble the blade to the snath i lost my daylight for natural light photography.
After assembling and picking it up I confirmed that the nibs, at least the upper nib will need to be repositioned.

20171213_183456.jpg

20171213_183612.jpg

Here i was not sure yet where to place the tang at the heel plate. So I chose and tightened;)

20171213_183359.jpg

20171213_183325.jpg

20171213_183353.jpg

20171213_183523.jpg

20171213_183330.jpg

It's picture heavy but I wasn't sure the lights were showing what we needed.

My excuse for not having time this morning...

20171213_112429.jpg

:cool:

Last edited:
You'll want to start off by putting the swing socket heel plate back in the middle position by loosening the retaining bolt and then moving the plate over and retightening. Also, check to make sure there's no wiggle in the collar. The blade looks like it will definitely need some bend/twist correction, but nothing too difficult or drastic. :thumbsup:

is that a collins factory?

I should have taken a picture but the small yellow roof building to the right of the factory is a tavern/pub, calling themselves The Crown and Hammer.

The Canton Historical Museum sits behind me from where I took the pictures. It houses much Collins Co artifacts.

I did not have enough time today to wander thru both. Nor did I take enough pictures today.
I will return, take more photos.

You'll want to start off by putting the swing socket heel plate back in the middle position by loosening the retaining bolt and then moving the plate over and retightening. Also, check to make sure there's no wiggle in the collar. The blade looks like it will definitely need some bend/twist correction, but nothing too difficult or drastic. :thumbsup:

Great thanks Fortytwo!
I needed to bounce back to your terminology link, I haven't put It all to memory yet and I was stumped on what the swing socket might be:thumbsup:
I will probably make those adjustments tomorrow, and if i do, will check the collar and all fittings afterward as well as looking into tweaking the blades bend and twist it's got going on.

Do you think the tang was intentionally angled as an adjustment made by it's previous user(s)?

The swing socket heel plate is the toothed gear-like thingy with the holes you put the knob of the tang in. The heel plate is the part where the holes to receive the tang's knob are, and in this case it's a swing socket one for additional adjustment, rather than fixed.

As far as the tang angle, I'd say it's safe to say in this case that it was done intentionally. You sometimes see twists to the tang on pretty mangled blades where it clearly wasn't the result of purposeful adjustment, but those don't look as tidy as this. :)

Just managed to obtain this roughly early 1900's catalog from the company that would later become Falci Tools of Italy.

01-Falci-Catalog-743x1024.jpg

02-Falci-Catalog-743x1024.jpg

03-Falci-Catalog-743x1024.jpg

04-Falci-Catalog-743x1024.jpg

05-Falci-Catalog-743x1024.jpg

06-Falci-Catalog-743x1024.jpg

07-Falci-Catalog-743x1024.jpg

08-Falci-Catalog-743x1024.jpg

09-Falci-Catalog-743x1024.jpg

10-Falci-Catalog-743x1024.jpg

11-Falci-Catalog-743x1024.jpg

12-Falci-Catalog-743x1024.jpg