Who has an EDC for sheeple friendly carry, and one for who cares?

I personally don't care what "sheeple" think. I always have a large folder on me and that's all. If they get scared by knives they'd stroke about my ccw in my waist band.

I've been contemplating starting to carrying a 2nd cheaper knife to let people use if someone needs to borrow one. Last week at work a co-worker asked to borrow a knife. I got it back 5 min later and it looked like he tried cutting barbed wire with it. Required alot of diamond work to get the chips out. Good thing I never carry my favorites at work.
should be a Gibbs rule "Rule 9 (a) never loan your knife"

Sheeple (a portmanteau of "sheep" and "people") is a derogatory term that highlights the passive herd behavior of people easily controlled by a governing power which likens them to sheep, a herd animal that is easily led about. The term is used to describe those who voluntarily acquiesce to a suggestion without critical analysis or research in large part because the majority of others possess a similar mindset.
Got It thanks. There was an episode on Law And Order SVU with Robin Williams that was just about this subject.

I live in a rural area where everyone does the same
...is a literal description of the lifestyle of sheep.

We live in a society now where the mere sight of an opposing political hat to shirt gets people spit on and beaten. Where we cannot even show our patriotic pride for our country and flag without being called a racist or a nazi. Where school kids are taught chanting USA or displaying the flag is offensive to others.
No, we don't. The news stories you (almost) linked to do not support your claims, nor are they representative of society; they are "news" because they are exceptions.

Also, the internet is not located in the United States...

I don't understand where this thread has gone...

So...you're saying you need to carry a big knife to protect you from people who'll beat you up for the t-shirt you wear?

I can't tell if this thread belongs in Current Events or Practical Tactical :D

So...you're saying you need to carry a big knife to protect you from people who'll beat you up for the t-shirt you wear?

Make it a sticky!:p

More likely the political arena. Of course it seems like the majority of the participants haven't coughed up the necessary cash to participate there, so maybe they should, instead, shut up and read the rules they agreed to follow when signing up for the site.

I carry a knife I like unobtrusively in my pocket. Take it out when something needs cut. Use it as a tool without fanfare. Put it back in my pocket. All while I go about my day respectfully and without calling other people names or dehumanizing them. Seems to work for me.
Me too.

However, I think this thread has missed the more important point:

I don't often use a knife in front of strange people out in public, but I have no problem cleaning my nails with a function on my Vic while waiting at a doctors office or something.

Do you maniacs actually clean your fingernails in public?

SpySmasher said: "Do you maniacs actually clean your fingernails in public?"

Fingernails? No.

Toenails? Yes?

And every time some "sheeple" looks at me funny regardless of what knife I use!

Guess some people are just disgusted by knives!
Yes, only toe nails and nose picking (with a knife of course) while waiting at the the doctor's office. ;)

I personally refuse to let other people's irrational fears dictate what I carry. I firmly believe that irrational fears can in reality cause much more dangerous outcomes than what the person is originally afraid of. It would be a shame if any of us didn't have the tool we needed in a given situation just because of the possible reaction of what are, frankly, ridiculous people.

People with an aversion to knives and those who consider the carrying of knives to be uncivilized need to realize that they hold an absolutely ludicrous point of view. The fact is, the edged tool was one of the most vital innovations in human history, to the point that it actually shaped human evolution, and without blades there would likely be no civilization in the first place. From this standpoint, it would actually be more rational for us to be aghast at those who don't carry knives.

I will continue, come what may, to carry and use whichever knife I see fit to carry. Furthermore, I refuse to let the possible reactions of misguided judgmental people have any influence whatsoever on my right to do so. Let them judge me by my actions, not by what I choose to posses.

I personally refuse to let other people's irrational fears dictate what I carry. I firmly believe that irrational fears can in reality cause much more dangerous outcomes than what the person is originally afraid of. It would be a shame if any of us didn't have the tool we needed in a given situation just because of the possible reaction of what are, frankly, ridiculous people.

People with an aversion to knives and those who consider the carrying of knives to be uncivilized need to realize that they hold an absolutely ludicrous point of view. The fact is, the edged tool was one of the most vital innovations in human history, to the point that it actually shaped human evolution, and without blades there would likely be no civilization in the first place. From this standpoint, it would actually be more rational for us to be aghast at those who don't carry knives.

I will continue, come what may, to carry and use whichever knife I see fit to carry. Furthermore, I refuse to let the possible reactions of misguided judgmental people have any influence whatsoever on my right to do so. Let them judge me by my actions, not by what I choose to posses.
I agree conceptually, but there might be a difference between people's perception of an auto knife and a slip joint of some sort and both will probably do the job. But the auto would certainly be better for personal protection. The dangerous weapon aspect is what people react to typically or what they think is a dangerous weapon.

I might add that you can't please everyone regardless. So, we do what we feel is right for us and life goes on.

Last edited:
I am 1-1/2 hours minimum from the nearest hospital

The problem with a knife here is that the size permissible is at the discretion of the police.

So who else has this dual EDC requirement?

Amazing what the choice of a single word in a title can do to a thread direction.

So the question is - does anyone else face a situation where they are mandated by law and circumstances to carry different things in different situations?

For me, the answer is no. Where I live, I can legally carry knives of any length, concealed or otherwise, except in specific areas like public schools which have their own special restrictions. And I do not have such a broad range of situations. I live in a city, work in the city, and commute through that city. My pocket knife needs are fairly simple, and more of a convenience than a true need.

The knives I carry are already "people-friendly" so I really don't have to worry about it. A SAK and a small to medium slipjoint, out of sight in a pocket unless I need to cut something, then back in the pocket.

I agree conceptually, but there might be a difference between people's perception of an auto knife and a slip joint of some sort and both will probably do the job. But the auto would certainly be better for personal protection. The dangerous weapon aspect is what people react to typically or what they think is a dangerous weapon.

I might add that you can't please everyone regardless. So, we do what we feel is right for us and life goes on.

Good point, and I don't disagree. I would just like to add that what they fail to realize is that for us personal protection goes much further than a weapon for self defense. It also includes being prepared for an emergency, such as the need to quickly cut ourselves or our loved ones out of a seat-belt, or for use in an unforeseen natural disaster.

I've used this example a few times in threads about knives in theme parks. I'll try to keep it short. Once, when I was a kid visiting Disney World, my shoestring got caught at the bottom of a very crowded, unusually tall escalator. It instantly twisted my ankle, pulled me to the ground, and cinched my shoe so tight that the holes for the opposite sides of the laces were touching, trapping me. People scrambled at the bottom to avoid stepping on me, and I was stuck there struggling for a minute or so before the shoestring finally gave way. It is humorous in hindsight, but in actuality I could have easily been trampled or caused a human pile up. This experience instilled in me the importance of always having something to quickly and easily cut myself free should I get caught up in anything.

This just goes to your point about each of us doing what we feel is right for ourselves, with which I wholeheartedly agree.

I'm not trying to derail the serious topics being raised now that the thread is back on track, but I felt that somehow these two pictures needed to be in this thread...
SAK Classic:
IMG_0105.JPG
Cold Steel Espada XL:
IMG_0104.JPG
All joking aside, your personal freedoms allow you to carry any bladed tool up to the limits of the local law. No problem. No argument there. Carry away to your hearts content!

The problem arises when irresponsible exercise of those personal freedoms endanger the rights of your knife carrying brothers and sisters.

It's easy to say "to hell with what people think!", but be aware that your actions may result in the legislated erosion of our knife rights and freedoms.

Don't kid yourself. We are a tiny minority in society. Our rights can be gone in a flash if there's a groundswell of popular opinion. In our current social media driven era, popular opinion has never been easier to shape.

Back