Who has an EDC for sheeple friendly carry, and one for who cares?

Personally, in my area, if I'm doing something that only requires a small blade, I tend to use blades under 3" that are very unassuming in use. If I go into the city, even less, because it is illegal to carry a blade over 2.5" there.

Although I have a couple knives in that range that I really like, my favored EDC knives are a little larger, and often have a discerning "thwack" even when opened slowly. Therefore, I tend to use either a different knife or a secondary blade, i.e. on a small MT, in certain situations.

...Don't kid yourself. We are a tiny minority in society. Our rights can be gone in a flash if there's a groundswell of popular opinion. In our current social media driven era, popular opinion has never been easier to shape.
I do kid myself. I would be willing to say that the majority of adults (American) own knives but a minority carry them regularly. My guess is that there are a lot more knife carrying folks than one would guess. But they aren't knife knuts. The knuts can't be the only ones keeping these manufacturers in business. That doesn't make sense. Maybe I'm just hoping.

Last edited:
I do kid myself. I would be willing to say that the majority of adults own knives but a minority carry them regularly. My guess is that there are a lot more knife carrying folks than one would guess. But they aren't knife knuts. The knuts can't be the only ones keeping these manufacturers in business. That doesn't make sense. Maybe I'm just hoping.
I agree with you. I think people who own some kind of bladed tool are in a large majority. That's not the majority that scares me. The one I'm wary of is the majority who could be convinced that a bladed tool is really a weapon .

I guess you could say I have a low level of regard for the discernment of humans...

I have had to face the decision as to what knife to carry in what situation. I live in a part of the world where having the best tools on you all the time might make a difference. I am 1-1/2 hours minimum from the nearest hospital, good tools are not readily available, and the locals have low education in tools and their uses. Given this I try to be prepared.

Being prepared for me means having a good knife, a multi-tool, and a backup knife. The problem with a knife here is that the size permissible is at the discretion of the police. Does it look dangerous to the particular officer? Then it is a weapon. Where I live, in the middle of nowhere, I can get away with something bigger, like my CH Knives CH 3504, PM2, Ritter Grip, ZT 0566 etc. Even then it could be pushing the size for the comfort of some random police officer.

When I drive to the big city, I know I have to down size. I carry a Rat2, or a CH 3001, or a Delica 4, etc. In the city a knife is almost viewed as a weapon instead of a toll by default.

So who else has this dual EDC requirement?

I have a different dual edc requirement: one for food, the other for everything else. Generally both are within legal size unless the legal size isn't clear to me.

I agree with you. I think people who own some kind of bladed tool are in a large majority. That's not the majority that scares me. The one I'm wary of is the majority who could be convinced that a bladed tool is really a weapon .

I guess you could say I have a low level of regard for the discernment of humans...

As everyone knows, many people are heavily influenced by movies and television. That's pretty much how switchblades ended up becoming illegal over half the planet! When knives are portrayed in a negative light and in a threatening manner in films and on TV, I think many people tend to internalize those portrayals and associate those knives with crime.

When NCIS came out I thought it was pretty cool that they were featuring some pretty high end type folders being carried and used. But then it dawned on me that "non-knife" people would simply feel that its perfectly fine and normal to carry such "weapons" if (and only if) you are an agent of the law or military.

We really need more and more responsible and respected people in their communities to be carrying (and be KNOWN for carrying) a knife for everyday tasks so that people can associate well known, respected members of society with EDC.

Just a few more thoughts.

...We really need more and more responsible and respected people in their communities to be carrying (and be KNOWN for carrying) a knife for everyday tasks so that people can associate well known, respected members of society with EDC...
Agreed. A little more of that and less of this.. I just saw this on the morning news. Have you guys seen this? Bad PR for knife people.
Mods, if this is inappropriate, please take it down or PM and I will. The woman goes on a bit of a political rant. I still thought the point relative to knives and public perception is relevant.

Last edited:
We really need more and more responsible and respected people in their communities to be carrying (and be KNOWN for carrying) a knife for everyday tasks so that people can associate well known, respected members of society with EDC.

We really need more and more responsible and respectful people in THIS community to be carrying (and be KNOWN for carrying) a knife for everyday tasks so that people can associate well known, respected members of society with EDC.

These folks thwacking open their comically oversized pants swords in Applebees for no apparent reason and then coming here and complaining about the "sheeple" there do not move us forward at all.

There is a simple solution to this perceived "sheeple problem"...don't act like an obnoxious 13 year old with your knife, and educate people who show positive OR negative interest.

They think knife users are childish, overcompensating, stab-happy nutjobs? Prove 'em wrong. Stop proving 'em right.

In my opinion, of course.

We really need more and more responsible and respectful people in THIS community to be carrying (and be KNOWN for carrying) a knife for everyday tasks so that people can associate well known, respected members of society with EDC.

These folks thwacking open their comically oversized pants swords in Applebees for no apparent reason and then coming here and complaining about the "sheeple" there do not move us forward at all.

There is a simple solution to this perceived "sheeple problem"...don't act like an obnoxious 13 year old with your knife, and educate people who show positive OR negative interest.

They think knife users are childish, overcompensating, stab-happy nutjobs? Prove 'em wrong. Stop proving 'em right.

In my opinion, of course.
Agreed. We certainly do not need more childish knife wielders around! If people are going to act like children, then we will ALL end up being treated like children in a nanny state.

ETA: I was assuming most of the members here are responsible and respectful knife users in public, but we all know what's said about assumption.:oops:

Last edited:
ETA: I was assuming most of the members here are responsible and respectful knife users in public, but we all know what's said about assumption.:oops:

I believe they are. And I get the feeling the responsible and respectful knife users in public aren't the ones surrounded by mobs of "sheeple" you know?

Not to get too political, but my city, my job, my coworkers would probably be considered "sheeple ground zero." And I have never had anybody bat an eye when I pull my knife out of my pocket and use it anywhere. Never.

I believe they are. And I get the feeling the responsible and respectful knife users in public aren't the ones surrounded by mobs of "sheeple" you know?

Not to get too political, but my city, my job, my coworkers would probably be considered "sheeple ground zero." And I have never had anybody bat an eye when I pull my knife out of my pocket and use it anywhere. Never.
Agreed. I have yet to pull out my knife, cut what I need to cut and put it back in my pocket and anyone say anything about it.

I also do not see people running around in public, whipping out their knives out and screaming look at me.

Agreed. I have yet to pull out my knife, cut what I need to cut and put it back in my pocket and anyone say anything about it.
I also do not see people running around in public, whipping out their knives out and screaming look at me.

Yeah...I am wondering where all these sheeple are! If they are not where I am hassling me and looking at me askance in the "blue state, knife terrified big city," where the heck are they? Are they in rural, small town America? I thought that is knife country! o_O

Ya, I guess sometimes its easy for us to get caught up in perspectives that don't actually reflect reality.
Reading the news too much can give you the impression that everyone is just out to get everyone else and you are lucky to be alive just walking to your door from the bus stop.

Maybe if everyone would just relax a little :) I'm OK , you're OK

True that!

Here's what I think. Said it before...I know there are folks out there with an irrational attitude towards knives. They typically can be "turned" with a calm discussion and by showing them a sweet reasonably sized knife. (They always wanted a cool pocketknife.) And if they can't....what're you gonna do.

But, I think the vast majority of the time, I think folks misinterpret peoples' reactions and call them "sheeple." I mean, if it's legal for you to have some giant ass folder, then it is. But if you go whipping it out at Olive Garden or the doctor's office or picking up the kids from swim class, etc, you ARE gonna get weird looks.

But I'm sorry to break it to some of you guys, those looks are not from folks who have an irrational fear of knives. They are from people who think you are ridiculous.

Sorry. Somebody needed to tell you.

I think ya all are hitting on to something important. There probably are a lot less "knife sheeple" out there than you think. Some times the "looks" you might get when you get out your knife to use are people who think the knife "a bit much" or just plain silly for the circumstance. But, of course that's probably the only knife you have with you. So, you use it.

I was at the large knife store in East TN, an associate and I were talking a bit about knives and I whipped out my large 112 mm SAK. Her response was "wow, that's a big one." So.... there was a reaction.... but it wasn't so much a negative reaction as a reaction to the size of the knife. Maybe if a lot of us carried smaller knives, there would be fewer reactions. But just because you get a reaction, it doesn't mean they're anti-knife, a sheeple, or whatever... They might just think your knife choice is silly.

I have been known to react to a large fixed blade carried by somebody along a trail. I think sometimes they are just a bit silly and I like knives. But big ones are fun. So, even knife knuts might react to somebody's knife choice.

I would imagine that the reactions of some people to a 'knife knut' whipping his large knife out in public places with an unnecessary flourish are the same types of reactions many 'knife knuts' have toward so-called 'mall ninjas'.

Jim

Back