Who has an EDC for sheeple friendly carry, and one for who cares?

I was speaking very generally when I used the word "gentleman", and I was not giving a definition or saying what one would carry on their person on a daily basis. I said why I choose to use a Texas Jack instead of a 110 or pm 2 when I'm around certain people or in a specific environment if I can. It's crazy to me that people get offended by other people being offended. Have fun with this one guys..... I'm out

I understand and respect your viewpoint. But I don't look at it that way. It is not about being manly or whether one is or isn't a gentleman. We live in a society now where the mere sight of an opposing political hat to shirt gets people spit on and beaten. Where we cannot even show our patriotic pride for our country and flag without being called a racist or a nazi. Where school kids are taught chanting USA or displaying the flag is offensive to others.

I'd like to see a link to any of this..

My gut tells me that I'm the kinda guy that you think prevents all of this.

I carry a knife I like unobtrusively in my pocket. Take it out when something needs cut. Use it as a tool without fanfare. Put it back in my pocket. All while I go about my day respectfully and without calling other people names or dehumanizing them. Seems to work for me.

I personally don't care what "sheeple" think. I always have a large folder on me and that's all. If they get scared by knives they'd stroke about my ccw in my waist band.

I've been contemplating starting to carrying a 2nd cheaper knife to let people use if someone needs to borrow one. Last week at work a co-worker asked to borrow a knife. I got it back 5 min later and it looked like he tried cutting barbed wire with it. Required alot of diamond work to get the chips out. Good thing I never carry my favorites at work.

I'd like to see a link to any of this..

My gut tells me that I'm the kinda guy that you think prevents all of this.

Seriously? When I was outside of conus I was able to get the news and follow current events. Now you kids have the internet. When I was in we had to read newspapers, listen to radio, or watch the tube.

I'll let you google your own examples. There are many. Here are a few:

https://www.google.com/search?q=sch...9QH0QeZ5Q_1:-5,uid_WcHaTwAFLLUKY9QH0QeZ5Q_1:0

https://www.google.com/search?q=tru...jose&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari

Your last sentence makes no sense. I'm not sure what you mean about your gut and preventing these things.

At any rate I was just sharing my opinion. Didn't mean for people to get all upset about it. I use the word sheeple. Sue me. I've been called worse. I'm out too :)

I normally carry a larger Spyderco of some sort (most recently a Byrd Cara Cara 2 combo edge) for the big stuff and a SAK Super Tinker or traditional Barlow for small or odd jobs. If I think the Byrd would cause a negative reaction, I try to use the SAK/Barlow. Neither of those have invoked reactions negatively. More often I get "hey is that a real Swiss Army Knife? Cool!" Or "That's just like my Grandpa's pocket knife when I was a kid". Old timers especially compliment my traditional choice. Apparently seeing a younger generation respecting a piece of history it scores you some points!

I don't avoid carrying what I like, but I do try not to be a douche about it either. They're tools, and your demeanor and proficiency getting a job handled can help change some of those negative viewpoints.

I understand and respect your viewpoint. But I don't look at it that way. It is not about being manly or whether one is or isn't a gentleman. We live in a society now where the mere sight of an opposing political hat to shirt gets people spit on and beaten. Where we cannot even show our patriotic pride for our country and flag without being called a racist or a nazi. Where school kids are taught chanting USA or displaying the flag is offensive to others. I carry a knife as a tool not as a status symbol. Always have always will. It comes out when I need to use it. From skinning an animal in the field to cutting open a box a work. It doesn't come out for show. I recently posted that I have only carried three knives for 39 years. If the sight of it offends you, then maybe you are the one with the problem. My question is where does it end? If we go full on UK with the viewpoint on all knives, will you willingly turn in all of your knives or hide them to be a "gentleman" and not offend others? I won't. Being a gentleman is being polite to others I meet and such, not reacting and changing my lifestyle to appease someone's offense or fear of inanimate objects. It has nothing to do with who is or isn't a badass. A knife is a tool. If you don't like the size of my hammer, don't look because I carry the tool I feel I need to get through my day. Thankfully I live in a rural area where everyone does the same and rarely venture into cities but when I do, I don't change my lifestyle as long as I am legally able. Just my opinion.

I like posts like these, it brings obscure information into the arena. If you truly use the knife as a tool, I agree, there should be no issue. Unfortunately, people have learned the hard way that the only way to determine if someone is unfit to use a knife is AFTER they have committed a crime. Therefore, as a preventative measure, we have our current laws.

Also, the effects you refer to (underlined above) are due to natural trig. I won't say anymore though, but political discussions do not belong in general discussion. Interesting nonetheless, but wrong location.

....When I'm in front of other people and the 110 is not a necessity (which it rarely is) I'll use my smaller knife. It has to do with being a member of a society, and as uncool as it may sound to some, I do care about what other people think. I agree that the general public has become too sensitive and politically correct but that does not make me feel the need to give everyone the finger and say f-you all....

I can relate to your point of view. I normally carry one knife so I don't have the option of pulling the second blade like you do.

I like a drama free life so that may be why I don't carry big, flashy fixed blades. I also don't need a bunch of drama from LEOs or the people around me.

I guess one reason why I care about what other people think is to save myself the problems that come with the need to give others the finger and tell the world to F-off.

I do draw the line though. I may choose a knife based upon who I will meet during the day but, I will still pick a knife that I will enjoy to use and is legal to carry. In other words, I am not going to buy/use a SAK Compact just because others say it's PC and all I need.

Last edited:
Hi. I usually don’t carry different knives for different contexts, I normally carry only the one I have in rotation during that specific week. Sometimes it’s a gents folder, sometimes it’s something more substantial :D. Sure I prioritize, in my considerations, the tasks ahead during the week, to choose more wisely my tool (e.g. office work vs. factory floor; food prep vs. wood working, etc.). I use knives as tools and I’m urban, polite, respectful, casual and discreet when I use them. But I am also very considered about people around me and the different contexts I operate in. While always being aware of legislation, my rights and duties, I also take into great consideration what I call “customs and traditions” of the people around me. It’s for me really two sides of the same coin. In my own experience, when I only focus on one, I might get some unexpected/unwanted reaction, either from authorities or from the general public (i.e. non-knives people). This has nothing to do with political correctness, in my opinion.

I try to better describe this with the example of the so called dress code. Dress code is precisely a code, not a legislation. If I don’t conform, I am not committing an offence/crime but, by failing to comply, I am breaking a written/non-written rule belonging to “customs and traditions”. Where I live it’s not forbidden by any legislation to walk around the streets shirtless but, while this behaviour is perfectly fine e.g. at seaside (I can even go to a beach bar for a cocktail or do some shopping in a minimarket/shop in my swimsuit only), the very same it’s considered weird and frowned upon when in a city/town centre or, even worse, in a museum. Same goes for knives and knives carry: what I am allowed to carry by legislation not always is “appropriate” for the specific scenario/environment I operate in and for my interactions with other people. I believe it’s up to everyone to make his/her own decisions: I can decide to be considerate of “customs and traditions”, blend-in, conform and have “smooth” social interactions or I can completely disregard these, make a statement with my behaviours that I don’t “give a damn about what sheeple think or feel”, “stick out”, etc. By doing this consciously, nevertheless, I need to accept to have fingers pointed, potential quarrels, “tough” social interactions, attract unwanted (for me at least) attentions, etc.

As for myself, I don't let other people dictate my knives carry choices but, on the other hand, I try to be an “ambassador” for the knives people/community, by acting in a way knives could be more and more considered from the general public, as purposeful, useful tool and even, why not, “trendy” items, cool to carry, rather than reinforcing the conviction it’s only thugs and lowlives who carry knives. Life, for me, it's always a kind of balance and compromise it's not necessarily always a defeat. Just my thinking.

Hi. I usually don’t carry different knives for different contexts, I normally carry only the one I have in rotation during that specific week. Sometimes it’s a gents folder, sometimes it’s something more substantial :D. Sure I prioritize, in my considerations, the tasks ahead during the week, to choose more wisely my tool (e.g. office work vs. factory floor; food prep vs. wood working, etc.). I use knives as tools and I’m urban, polite, respectful, casual and discreet when I use them. But I am also very considered about people around me and the different contexts I operate in. While always being aware of legislation, my rights and duties, I also take into great consideration what I call “customs and traditions” of the people around me. It’s for me really two sides of the same coin. In my own experience, when I only focus on one, I might get some unexpected/unwanted reaction, either from authorities or from the general public (i.e. non-knives people). This has nothing to do with political correctness, in my opinion.

I try to better describe this with the example of the so called dress code. Dress code is precisely a code, not a legislation. If I don’t conform, I am not committing an offence/crime but, by failing to comply, I am breaking a written/non-written rule belonging to “customs and traditions”. Where I live it’s not forbidden by any legislation to walk around the streets shirtless but, while this behaviour is perfectly fine e.g. at seaside (I can even go to a beach bar for a cocktail or do some shopping in a minimarket/shop in my swimsuit only), the very same it’s considered weird and frowned upon when in a city/town centre or, even worse, in a museum. Same goes for knives and knives carry: what I am allowed to carry by legislation not always is “appropriate” for the specific scenario/environment I operate in and for my interactions with other people. I believe it’s up to everyone to make his/her own decisions: I can decide to be considerate of “customs and traditions”, blend-in, conform and have “smooth” social interactions or I can completely disregard these, make a statement with my behaviours that I don’t “give a damn about what sheeple think or feel”, “stick out”, etc. By doing this consciously, nevertheless, I need to accept to have fingers pointed, potential quarrels, “tough” social interactions, attract unwanted (for me at least) attentions, etc.

As for myself, I don't let other people dictate my knives carry choices but, on the other hand, I try to be an “ambassador” for the knives people/community, by acting in a way knives could be more and more considered from the general public, as purposeful, useful tool and even, why not, “trendy” items, cool to carry, rather than reinforcing the conviction it’s only thugs and lowlives who carry knives. Life, for me, it's always a kind of balance and compromise it's not necessarily always a defeat. Just my thinking.

I think that is the best-written post in the whole thread. Much more polite than anything I posted

I also feel the word sheeple is kinda rude and condescending. But for people who are fearful of knives, I definitely carry something smaller like my grey delica 4 or benchmade mini grip. Or depending on the occasion I'd carry my sage 2.

If I'm at work, like I am now, I'm carrying my pm2, gerber suspension and my kershaw link for the coworker who asks to borrow my knife.

I feel like tradition slipjoints are always perceived as non threatening though

This is the perfect knife to use around non-knife people in polite society!:)
The Kershaw Toucan. A small knife and small scissors in one nice shiny little package. Guys think its neat and women think its cute!:cool:
R8eHkOH.png

Boy this thread has legs.

In public I'm respectful of others, but not timid.
I'm somewhat friendly, but not overbearing. The differences I see in most of these posts, is a diversity of daily environments that we frequent.
What would pass as normal behavior in one area, would be acting like a horses ass in an other. And visa versa.
I say follow your judgement, and don't fling any thing out there, that you don't want flung back.

Unless you really like that sort of thing.:D

Last edited:
....Same goes for knives and knives carry: what I am allowed to carry by legislation not always is “appropriate” for the specific scenario/environment I operate in and for my interactions with other people. I believe it’s up to everyone to make his/her own decisions: I can decide to be considerate of “customs and traditions”, blend-in, conform and have “smooth” social interactions or I can completely disregard these, make a statement with my behaviours that I don’t “give a damn about what sheeple think or feel”, “stick out”, etc. By doing this consciously, nevertheless, I need to accept to have fingers pointed, potential quarrels, “tough” social interactions, attract unwanted (for me at least) attentions, etc.

I don't try to "stick out" either in terms of what knife I use or carry. I have my favorite knives and they tend to be pretty conservative in terms of design. But I also like the assisted openers which to the uninformed are "switch blades" and only carried for human to human interaction.... protection or criminal intent... I just think they're kind of fun. But they certainly aren't my dominant choice for regular carry. Just something to change things up a little from time to time for me. I am a little careful as to when/where I pull an assisted knife out of my pocket to use.

I don't make political statements with what knife I choose to carry. I choose because it's either fun or useful. The same applies to firearms IF I choose to carry one whether in the woods or on the street. I can tell you that a knife is far more useful in my daily life than any firearm I have ever carried in an urban area. Firearms are intended for extreme circumstances if they develop around us only or of course for target shooting, hunting, and other recreational pursuits.

I do "give a damn" what other people think whether it be about my house and yard or the knife I choose to carry. Honestly, I would probably stop carrying an assisted opener if I commonly got "negative reactions" from other people. Why? Because it's no big deal to me and have been quite comfortable with slip joints.

Sorry if I seem ignorant but what does "sheeple" mean.

According to the Urban Dictionary, the word sheeple is the compression of two words, sheep and people, to form one word meaning a mass of ignorant, unoriginal humans that herd together and follow mindlessly.

According to some folks on this forum, it is an objective and neutral word describing those who are unnecessarily and weirdly fearful of knives in any size in a public place.

I like to carry a Spyderco Urban LW, which is one hand opening, but is non-locking. I also often carry a Victorinox Pioneer. They are ubiquitous and in many places viewed as a tool.

Many people need to get out more. Not every place is knife friendly and laws in many places are not like they are, or as many think they are, around their home. In many places, especially former British colonies, it is up to the policeman and his or her mood as to whether a knife is legal or not. So, in many real world places, the more non-threatening, the better.

Sorry if I seem ignorant but what does "sheeple" mean.
Sheeple (a portmanteau of "sheep" and "people") is a derogatory term that highlights the passive herd behavior of people easily controlled by a governing power which likens them to sheep, a herd animal that is easily led about. The term is used to describe those who voluntarily acquiesce to a suggestion without critical analysis or research in large part because the majority of others possess a similar mindset.

Back