Who likes Chinese???

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Pointy81, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Lapedog

Lapedog

Dec 7, 2016
    I think the Chinese companies are really raising the bar for what to expect at what price. I think before long the only reasons to buy an American knife will be design or made in usa status.

Some Chinese companies there isn’t much value compared to their US and international counterparts such as Reate and Rike. Others like WE somewhat but especially Kizer really offer a great value. Thing is there are always more companies like Bestech that come in to try and lower the price bar on high end material knives. As these companies grow in reputation they seem to wise up and raise prices as they can.

One thing for sure is these chinese companies have learned that people are willing to pay for high quality stuff.

When I first saw Kizers first knives hit the market I was actually offended if not abit intrigued. No way these knives could be what they were purporting to be. Since then if anything they have gotten even better in quality.

ZT with the KAI megacorrp behind it seems to be the only stateside market that can keep prices competitive. The Chinese companies are even learning they need representation stateside for warranty work.

But I agree many Chinese companies overdesign their knives and for a long time everything from Kizer was a grey contoured lump.

W. Anderson and Pointy81 like this.
  2. SpySmasher

SpySmasher Lead Guitar

Sep 1, 2016
    I only buy Chinese-made knives and I really prefer it if they are from the mainland.

gazz98, Lapedog and Pointy81 like this.
  3. scottyj

scottyj

Jan 29, 2009
    This. I love my Recon 1, but I cringe every time I see Taiwan on the blade. Sure CS is an American company, but I wish their best sellers like the Recon 1 were made here.

4. ScooterG

ScooterG You mean Ireland? Yeah, it’s mine. Gold Member

Mar 15, 2016
    Cringeworthy
    F40E138C-DF20-419C-BE35-86E521DB6D36.jpeg

5. Stelth

Stelth

Jul 15, 2007
    I won't buy or own Chinese knives.

Crosier and angryirish87 like this.
  6. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    I feel the same way about my KA-BAR Dozier.
    It's not keeping me from using it but the thought lingers.

euthymic and scottyj like this.
  7. moshow9

moshow9 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 28, 2010
    Hackenslash said everything I wanted to say. An original well built knife is a well built knife.

vox801 and Pointy81 like this.
  8. scottyj

scottyj

Jan 29, 2009
    That's a lot of cringe there brother. Badass knives though. :thumbsup:

ScooterG likes this.
  9. Pointy81

Pointy81

May 22, 2018
  10. angryirish87

angryirish87

Dec 20, 2016
    Like I said, the quality is there. I just prefer my money stay here, then again I am a small business owner so maybe it’s just wishful thinking that others will do the same.

Torrin and Stelth like this.
  11. Monofletch

Monofletch Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jan 14, 2010
    High quality knives for sure.

Pointy81 likes this.
  12. HappyDaddy

HappyDaddy Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Some of my favorite knives are designed by Russians, sold by Russians, and made by the Chinese (Reate) - CKF. Deal with it.

13. needler420

needler420

Apr 29, 2011
    Almost every American knife company has outsourced to China. Kewshaw, Case, SOG, Buck, Spyderco, Schrade, Gerber.

Companies that haven't as far as I'm aware of Blade runner systems, benchmade, Swiss army.

Lynn Thompson of cold steel even stated in a interview that a lot of his made in Seki Japan products have been outsourced to China because a lot of blacksmiths are not getting into the industry in Japan due to the hard work and low wages. Very similar to the American manufacturing industry.

14. Pointy81

Pointy81

May 22, 2018
    Benchmade did outsource to China for a while when they offered the Redbox line, which of course was their budget line. They were decent knives, but they discontinued it several years ago.

15. dirc

dirc

Jan 31, 2018
    I'd like to address this from a far more philosophic perspective...
    take everything to the n'th degree to see if you really think that works out best:

assume $ is re-based to crypto or something, and suddenly it's feasible to switch over to US population only buying USA made goods:
    assume the USA can even immediately(magically meet this demand) - for arguments sake
    Overnight, great for jobs, everyone has factory/refinery/mining jobs & work - 100% local only production cycles from start to finish to fuel a huge existing demand.
    People are then forced to LIVE near said industry - everywhere, intertwined across the country, ideally near all the big population centers to minimize transport costs
    if you actually care, go look up what said industry did to the lives of people forced to live near it. Following a complete simplistic Laissez-faire approach to everything is surely disaster, but so too is draconian communism, the path of balance (wisdom (imho)) is somewhere between. The devil is in the details, and nothing in life can be black and white but you still need to deal with reality.
    I do not have Chinese heritage - but I immensely respect their culture and history, and work ethic - it's deep, and they were making steel far before the rest of the world: and they had this guy
    ancient Chinese wisdom:
    “Be careful what you water your dreams with. Water them with worry and fear and you will produce weeds that choke the life from your dream. Water them with optimism and solutions and you will cultivate success. Always be on the lookout for ways to turn a problem into an opportunity for success. Always be on the lookout for ways to nurture your dream.”
    ― Lao Tzu (about 2500 years ago...)

Historically, (my belief anyway), is that early US leaders saw the negative impacts of heavy industry, and were okay with having it go off shore (even encouraged it). (I personally think they showed foresight with this, even tho it did hurt jobs for some time/in some ways, etc)

I prefer to treat each Chinese company individually for quality, as I would any other factory from other countries. Each country seems to have some nice premier quality manufacturers these days, I think that is awesome, and I try to support it. : -)~
    (also, don't let this constant demagoguery succeed - they get you riled up intentionally to force black and white, dem's vs rep's, us vs them mentality and shut down intelligent thought & discussion - just don't let yourselves be trolled like this constantly, I think it's the #1 modern social ill to fear these days, ... but what the h&ll do I know)

Mako109, Natlek, willc and 2 others like this.
  16. GIRLYmann

GIRLYmann

Nov 7, 2005
    If only those high end mainland sinic cutlery companies become bold enough someday
    to set up shop in the US... As in a US based manufacturing subsidiary or something.
    That might perhaps bring in more likes for sinic brands states side?

Mako109 likes this.
  17. ATJ999

ATJ999 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 12, 2013
    Just like knives everywhere else in the world. Some are good, some are bad.

18. Lapedog

Lapedog

Dec 7, 2016
    I had always heard that Kevin John was doing alot of the work for CKF. That is why he isn’t making clones anymore.

19. dkb45

dkb45 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 16, 2012
    If he goes legit, that's awesome. He makes good knives, they just use stolen designs which aren't cool. Reate apparently got their start in counterfeits too, but they went legit and are now almost universally beloved. Well, except by me BECAUSE THEY WON'T MAKE ANYTHING WITH A LEFTY CLIP!!!

20. Bimmer1

Bimmer1 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 30, 2000
    It’s impossible not to buy something “made in China” these days. One might boycott Chinese made knives while at the same time they are buying other goods manufactured in China and never even stop to think about it.

Edgeoflife, willc and ScooterG like this.