Who likes Chinese???

I was only speaking in broad terms. Really different car companies have different models being built all over the place. For example the Camaro and Lexus RX were being built in Ontario for a long time. (Not sure if they still are)

All I was saying is that the “American built car” may not be as American as an uninformed consmer would think.
That's fair enough!

What about companies like Brous blades who admits that he uses Chinese screws for his American made knives. (Though there is debate about where his knives are made that is a topic for a other thread.)

Or knives like the Boker Patriot which are made by Boker in America?

361A6974_20170707091415.jpg

I understand though that “Made in USA” has sort of become a brand and it seems companies that go to the length of doing everything stateside seem to demand a premium.

Well, Chinese knives anyway. My inspiration came a few years ago when I came to the realization that high quality knives can actually come from China. Previously, my opinion was badly tainted from past experiences with low quality Pakistan and Chinese made cutlery, so I automatically assumed all of their products must be this way. Then a decade or two later, my opinion changed when I found a thread on here dedicated to WE knives.
Since then I have owned several quality Chinese made knives from both US based companies such as Kershaw and Spyderco or Chinese companies like Kizer or Ruike.
I would like to encourage folks to give these products a try. You may find yourself surprised like I did. I just purchased a new Ruike P121-B yesterday and the f&f on this thing is outstanding. I wouldn’t have been a bit surprised if it had an 80$ price tag on it, instead I walked out the door with a knife I paid less than 35$ for.
I haven’t yet, but I would also like to give Reate and WE a try. They are a little pricey but I really like some of their designs.

I carry a Spyderco Gayle Bradley made in Taiwan China as my EDC. I have a very fine Kizer S35Vn also. Like anything else in this world every country makes both good and bad quality items. You have to figure it out yourself or take recommendations from knowledgeable people like the members of this forum. I didn't buy my knives because they were cheap but rather because the fit and finish came highly recommended.

I'm not entirely against owning Chinese knives, currently have some, but I have found on the low end you aren't getting a great tool but that is regardless of origin mostly. With regards to the upper end I find that the F&F in my experience has been spottier than F&F from Italy, Germany, Japan, or America and I know there are other places but my experiences is mostly limited to those 4 and China. I also have the moral and ethical issue of China's treatment of it's work force and the fact that China is a major source of counterfeit goods including knives. These things put me off from Chinese knives it doesn't mean I won't have any in the future but it does mean I am more hesitant to buy from China and more likely to buy from the other 4 I mentioned.
Just curious what you define as "upper end Chinese knives" because I'm having trouble wrapping my head around this statement using my definition of Chinese upper end.

I've been really impressed with some of the offerings from Reate and Kizer. My problem is that I don't ever want to buy another flipper and I don't really like any of their non flipper designs so far. I'm hoping Reate continues their collaboration with Kirby Lambert and produce more of his models.

I remember when I said the same thing about Japanese made products. Now I hate seeing "Made in China" on nearly everything I buy. I don't expect to figure that one out anytime soon.

Where Reate makes their knives is irrelevant to me and each one of these has a soul. Would have a hard time picking a favorite.

R1 - Copy.jpg

That is easy - WE, Reate, Kizer - those 3 at least I'd put at the top of the Chinese list
If that's the case and he was referring to Reate as high end, I can't think of many Japanese, German, Italian and USA made knives at a similar price point that consistently beat Reate for fit and finish.

Taiwan is not "in" China, and depending on who you talk to/listen to, is not part of China. Anyway...

You are not correct. Taiwan has been a part of China for many centuries and most countries consider it a part of China these days. The United States does not support Taiwan's claim as an independent country. See attached from the State Department.

https://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/35855.htm

Why the hell would you encourage a country that has made billions by selling the rest of us cheap crap that breaks, doesn't last or is poisonous to eat for decades? Screw 'em, I say. I avoid Chinese made products as far as possible / realistic, and I encourage others to do the same. Disclaimer: I do own one Chinese made knife, a Spyderco Tenacious, which was on sale at my local place, about a decade ago. Its OK, but not as good as a Spyderco made in the US or Japan.

Why the hell would you encourage a country that has made billions by selling the rest of us cheap crap that breaks, doesn't last or is poisonous to eat for decades? Screw 'em, I say. I avoid Chinese made products as far as possible / realistic, and I encourage others to do the same. Disclaimer: I do own one Chinese made knife, a Spyderco Tenacious, which was on sale at my local place, about a decade ago. Its OK, but not as good as a Spyderco made in the US or Japan.
Because you'd want a nation that's destined to be the "supplier to the developing world" in the next generation to perhaps benefit from some positive reinforcement when they do the job right?
Because part of voting with your wallet is knowing when not to buy...but also when to buy?

Hey, but what's it to you if China "poisons" people you don't know, right?

Geez, with attitudes like this, how the hell am I supposed to sleep at night without drugs...

If that's the case and he was referring to Reate as high end, I can't think of many Japanese, German, Italian and USA made knives at a similar price point that consistently beat Reate for fit and finish.

Hold a Reate Future in you hand and tell me who can match it in quality and fit and finish.

Last edited:

When I think of Chinese made goods, I don’t necessarily think “quality item”.
But I don’t think its fair to blame an entire country for it.
If a manufacturer, no matter what country they open shop in,
Dedicates themselves to making a quality product and adheres to a
Moral and ethical ethos, they should be judged on those merits and not
Mass hysteria.

Because you'd want a nation that's destined to be the "supplier to the developing world" in the next generation to perhaps benefit from some positive reinforcement when they do the job right?
Because part of voting with your wallet is knowing when not to buy...but also when to buy?

Hey, but what's it to you if China "poisons" people you don't know, right?

Geez, with attitudes like this, how the hell am I supposed to sleep at night without drugs...

Wait, its possible to sleep without drugs?

Maybe some Chinese taichi qui gong master.

I gotta stay up or I might fall asleep with a knife in my hand.

Back