Who made your favorite puukko?

Anybody have experience with Helle Knives?

I want a good puuko that is a step up from a Mora but not a custom.

Can any of y’all recommend a knife like that?

Have a look in the Educate me on the Puukko thread both for further explanation of why @kamagong said neither makes puukkot and for a bunch of examples.

I’m a newbie when it comes to puukkot

Love the design. Almost looks like it shared DNA with some of the Japanese swords/knives.

anyone know the history of the design?

Have a look at the Puukko Purist Questions thread. IIRC, there’s good stuff there.

Thanks, Jer. I hadn’t heard of that maker before. :thumbsup:

... and another mention of Iisakki Järvenpää. I’ll have to find out more.
Iisakki Järvenpää is probably the most prolifc maker of puukkot in Finland and the name you are most likely to encounter. Järvenpää started making knives in about 1870, worked as a manager in the first puukko factory in Kauhava for a few years then opened his own shop. Iisakki Järvenpää Oy has been in business ever since and is as far as I know still run by his descendants.
A couple old Järvenpää puukkot
o7ki3kK.jpg

I carry this old Järvenpää all the time
1ucW0Xq.jpg

Iisakki Järvenpää is probably the most prolifc maker of puukkot in Finland and the name you are most likely to encounter. Järvenpää started making knives in about 1870, worked as a manager in the first puukko factory in Kauhava for a few years then opened his own shop. Iisakki Järvenpää Oy has been in business ever since and is as far as I know still run by his descendants.

Much appreciated! :thumbsup:

I’m a newbie when it comes to puukkot

Love the design. Almost looks like it shared DNA with some of the Japanese swords/knives.

anyone know the history of the design?
While barrel handles and back stitched sheaths were already used during the Viking Age (790-1066) the rhombic blade profie was most likely properly developed sometimes during the 17th century.

Fennoscandic knives during the Middle Age looked more like this, with a full flat blade and more or less convexed edge. This particular blade is laminated, giving the illusion of 1/2 height bevels.
xkjFUM6.jpg

I don't have one single favourite puukko, but few specimen (1 birch bark handled and 4 maasepan) I use most often due to their feeling and proportions. All were crafted by Pasi Hurttila, before he slowed down significantly his production. He now seldom posts few pieces for sale on his blog every now and then.

Among the currently working puukkomakers I'd pick Arto and Jari Liukko anyday. Here is Jari's maasepan I use.
07.jpg

Arto and Jari Liukko's puukko look a lot like the two I have by Kay Vikstrom. Nice Knives.

Rich

If the standard production Mora Number 1 counts as a Puukko, I'd have to say "Mora."

If it don't count then I gotta say "I dunno." since if the Mora don't count, I've never owned a Puukko.

afishhunter

Sorry, Mora are Swedish, Puukko are Finnish. Lots of companies make puukko-style knives, but "real" puukko are Finnish made.
BTW, I have several older Mora and love them, especially the laminated blades.
They are part of a broader group "Nordic Knives": Swedish, Norwegian, Finnish
and Denmark (although I've only seen a couple Danish Scout/Sailors knives). I don't know why there aren't more Danish knife companies.
Rich

Last edited:
I've only recently been getting into puukko knives. Though I've always liked them, I've only admired them from afar until somewhat recently.

I still have a lot to learn about the knife, its history, and its merits as a tool. That said, I have been carrying and using one daily ever since I scooped up my first a couple of months ago. To say that I have become rather enamored would be an understatement.

The two I have are both of Finnish make - one by the maker Tommi Mäkelä (using a forged Saku Honkilahti blade) and the other is a Harri Merimaa design made by WoodsKnife. I am already seeking my next puukko and would like to find one with a stacked birch bark handle - I've heard good things about such construction.

I am eyeballing work from both Tommi Mäkelä and Saku Honkilahti - I like some of the things that Saku has written with regards to the puukko and I've enjoyed following the work of both makers - at least, in the short time that I have been doing so.

SaV2MBp.jpg

While barrel handles and back stitched sheaths were already used during the Viking Age (790-1066) the rhombic blade profie was most likely properly developed sometimes during the 17th century.

Fennoscandic knives during the Middle Age looked more like this, with a full flat blade and more or less convexed edge. This particular blade is laminated, giving the illusion of 1/2 height bevels.
xkjFUM6.jpg

I don't have one single favourite puukko, but few specimen (1 birch bark handled and 4 maasepan) I use most often due to their feeling and proportions. All were crafted by Pasi Hurttila, before he slowed down significantly his production. He now seldom posts few pieces for sale on his blog every now and then.

Among the currently working puukkomakers I'd pick Arto and Jari Liukko anyday. Here is Jari's maasepan I use.
07.jpg

Thanks for that bit of history. :thumbsup:

My favorite was made by Pasi Hurttila, too. I’ve been fortunate to be able to purchase two from him. I don’t remember whether it was you who first made me aware of him, but your reviews of his knives played a large role in my decision to purchase one as my first hand-forged puukko.

Thanks for the recommendation of Arto and Jari Liukko. Your maasepan looks great!

I've only recently been getting into puukko knives. Though I've always liked them, I've only admired them from afar until somewhat recently.

I still have a lot to learn about the knife, its history, and its merits as a tool. That said, I have been carrying and using one daily ever since I scooped up my first a couple of months ago. To say that I have become rather enamored would be an understatement.

The two I have are both of Finnish make - one by the maker Tommi Mäkelä (using a forged Saku Honkilahti blade) and the other is a Harri Merimaa design made by WoodsKnife. I am already seeking my next puukko and would like to find one with a stacked birch bark handle - I've heard good things about such construction.

I am eyeballing work from both Tommi Mäkelä and Saku Honkilahti - I like some of the things that Saku has written with regards to the puukko and I've enjoyed following the work of both makers - at least, in the short time that I have been doing so.

SaV2MBp.jpg

Well said, Dylan. I still have a lot to learn, too. Fortunately, that’s a big part of the fun of this hobby for me and, I’d bet, for you, too. :)

Looks like you’re off to a great start!

I suppose it’s about time I share my favorite from my small collection, which, as I mentioned above, was made by Pasi Hurttila:

569TBw6h.jpg

As Frederick said, the proportions work well for me. I like the feel of the stacked bark handle and the blade performs marvelously for a variety of tasks.

Last edited:
Arathol and/or Frederick89

Why didn't Denmark develop a cutlery industry? The only one I'm familiar with is Erling Vangerdal (scout and mariner knives).
Thanks for any insight or info.
Rich

Dylan Pàdruig Pàdruig - you will find the stacked birch bark handle to be a revelation of comfort and practicality. Just stay away from the ones that have been varnished. This is a handle style that excels with oil and wax - and only needs those to help keep it clean.

Last edited:
Arathol and/or Frederick89

Why didn't Denmark develop a cutlery industry? The only one I'm familiar with is Erling Vangerdal (scout and mariner knives).
Thanks for any insight or info.
Rich
I guess it was a combination of having little raw material on Denmark ground, especially to develop a metallurgic industry, while having the german centre of cutlery production (Solingen) relatively near, a couple of knife production centre in Norway (Geilo) and Sweden (Eskiltuna) closer than Solingen, still mantaining a relatibely lively forging tradition, even when in the neighbour coutries the knife production was almost completely factory made.

But I have to say that has always been quite difficult to find a danish smith willing to talk about his craft and history.

I only have this one. Its awesome. D2 acidwash, antiqued bronze fittings, acacia burl, rhombic cross section.
Fella named Gregori Menchev, found it on the exchange a while back. Would you believe it stayed there long enough to get price dropped twice? I didn't. So I snatched it up.

lba6pIT.jpg

I think I probably posted this pic already but oh well.

Frederick89

Thanks for your insight. I guess there is no point of "re-inventing the knife" when all the nations near have great knife making traditions and you
ease of access to their cutlery.
Rich

Dylan Pàdruig Pàdruig - you will find the stacked birch bark handle to be a revelation of comfort and practicality. Just stay away from the ones that have been varnished. This is a handle style that excels with oil and wax - and only needs those to help keep it clean.

Thank you, Ray, for the reaffirmation. The only experience I have with varnish on stacked material is the Estwing hatchet. They varnish the stacked leather and it's terrible for the leather as it is bone dry and the varnish only exacerbates that. I imagine the same would be the case for stacked bark.

Thank you, Ray, for the reaffirmation. The only experience I have with varnish on stacked material is the Estwing hatchet. They varnish the stacked leather and it's terrible for the leather as it is bone dry and the varnish only exacerbates that. I imagine the same would be the case for stacked bark.
Varnish on birch bark is not necessarily a bad thing...it depends on what you call varnish. Todays stuff is a lot different that what was used years ago, its more like plastic. The older birch bark handles with the reddish finish are actually quite nice, not all that different than the natural finish.
O8ZDQ4h.jpg

4Q9fFl3.jpg

Yeah, the difference between your Estwing stacked leather and your Redmeadows. They can hardly be compared as related other than as very far distant cousins.

One of the cousins should be kept in the closet.;)

Back