Who Makes The Best .....?

My .02 is that a custom knifemaker can develop the skills and invest the time and energy to produce a superior product. It's clear that many of them, including the guys on this tread, do just that. I am also equally sure that many/most of them have not invested the time, and that these actually produce defective knives.

There is nothing wrong with this, it is just part of the natural learning curve. The better makers will get through this, and find a way to retain their customers. Many others will simply disappear. None-the-less in either case the knives are no less defective. Given the choice I would go with either a well proven maker, or a well executed bench-made knife (like a Busse , CRK, or a Randall). I like Walter Brend's knives; but I wouldn't have wanted to be one of the guinea pigs relying on one of his early knives in a desperate survival situation.

Cliff's arguement is absolutely correct. The divison of labor promotes specialization, and expidites and retains the learning process as part of an institution. While I don't think his line of though describes what happens at a major production facility, where quality is usually prioritized below production targets, reducing equipment wear, worker safety, and inventory control, it does apply well to many high end production knives.

Custom knives are not always better, and many or most, may be worse than the bench-made production knives.

N2S

If I'm in a survival situation, I want a knife that was designed, first and foremost, for cutting. I don't care if I can do pull-ups on it, or if it can pry open a deadbolted steel door. I need to make fuzz sticks and shavings, split small branches, possibly chop small branches and clean game. Game that had to be caught using traps and snares fashiioned with a usable sized blade.
Since nothing CUTS better, my first choice will always be a Dozier. Maybe his new Wilderness model, if not my Elk Hunter or a Pro Guide. These are the best size for a true survival situation.
I could happily get by with a CS SRK or a Fallkniven model.

Regards
JET

I apologize for back-tracking, I came across this thread kind of late, but "hanging by your balls from a limb?!" Yeah, I see guys hanging out of trees by their balls all the time! Obviously, something to consider when choosing a knife!

What? Dozier wilderness model?
Where? Please point me in the direction of a photo...please?

Ebbtide,

I don't have a picture to guide you to, but Mr. Dozier described it to me, and faxed a rough picture. Best way to describe it is a beefy version of Pro Guide, w/5+" blade of thicker stock. I think the point is quite a bit different, too. Should be on the web page soon, so my poor description can soon be forgotten.

It looks awesome, to be sure, and I will definitely own one!!

Regards

JET

Back