• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Who wants to be a guinea pig? One Light Chopper prototype, 3V

Nathan the Machinist

KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Please understand what this is before buying it. This is a rough prototype of a new camp knife light chopper prototype. It has a coarse hand grind and tumble. The new heat treat hasn't been fully finalized yet. There are still some tool marks and heat treat scale on it. There are Rockwell hardness test marks on it. It has cut several nails along its length. If you want a nice shiny new knife, this isn't it.

It's made of CPM 3V at HRC 60.5 with a preliminary version of the newest heat treat that I believe is the finest heat treat for this material available anywhere. It's a little rough, but this is an exceptional knife with a combination of toughness and edge retention that will blow your mind.

The hand grip works great as a camp knife when held towards the front with good balance and dexterity. When held towards the back it fully fills the hand and offers control and reduced hand fatigue for extended hard chopping.

It has a forward lanyard hole (as used in competition cuts) and a hidden rear lanyard hole.

This was a collaboration with Lorien Arnold and Dan Keffeler. It is an exercise in geometry, weight distribution and ergonomics to make a light weight chopper that hits well above its weight. It's a large woods knife, with a 10" blade that weighs 17.1 oz that is somewhere between a machete and a camp knife. It's light enough to be carried on a long hike without weighing you down and it's engineered for performance when you go to use it.

This is a rough prototype without sheath. $SOLD. I guarantee you will love this knife. You can return it for a full refund at any time in any condition for any reason.

1.jpg~original

2.jpg~original

3.jpg~original

4.jpg~original

5.jpg~original

6.jpg~original

7.jpg~original

8.jpg~original

9.jpg~original

10.jpg~original

11.jpg~original

Dan doing what Dan does, with an early prototype:

[video=youtube;TvUsh5FijcY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvUsh5FijcY[/video]

~16 total length, ~10" blade, 3/16 thick, 17.1 oz, balances at the plunge. Edge is sharpened 20 DPS.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Good get xxwarderxx. I was going to wait 30 seconds, just in case someone more qualified at testing was on this one. Mike

Damn!! That went fast. If another one materializes somehow I want it ;).

Noooooooooo!!!!

Will be anxiously waiting in line for the first production batch Nathan.

Amazing how accurate Dan is with his cut/chop placement. Same spot, easily. It would probably take me a number of tries just to connect with that golf ball. The skills of a world champion. Mike

Wow, I think this a precursor to the demand for such an awesome design and execution!

I would have grabbed this if I saw it earlier. Nathan, your work is outstanding. The demand for your knives speaks for itself.

Me, me, me.....

Too late?

Way..

This one was something similar to jeopardy.. 3 people pressing the little button at the same time.. exactly at 4:00 pm.. look at the time stamp

No big deal for me.. he'll have some for sale

Like I mentioned in the other post.. I just hope this one doent end up like the A2 prototypes.. not goo high res pics.. no detailed test.. Ive suggested on the other thread what needs to be done.

Back