Who's interested in a special edition 2012 DDR/HTM Forum Gunhammer?

Haha, it's tough keeping up with Darrel. Like Hark said, he's always innovating, improving, and trying new materials. :D

I'm coming around to the idea of using S90V or another 9% Vanadium steel as the blade steel, and going with forest green as the handle color. Those two things will really help to set the knife apart.

That won't work, just visited GP Knives, that's their new exclusive. :eek:

No I'm kidding.

20CP with Green anodizing, stonewashed blade and Maxx Glide bearings. Why is my mouth watering? That makes no sense.

Storm troopered out, huh? Not a big coated blade fan here. I will see you at the polls.

Good day, sir.

I have been referring to it as the 'Tuxedo' layout. I'm not a big fan of coated blades either but CPM M4 would certainly add o the uniqueness of the knife and it needs DLC.

This sounds really cool too. Honestly, I'm up for anything as long as it's distinctive.

That's what I'm going for. At this point I think we've lost out on a bit of the distinctiveness so we really should go bold. I think the white handles will really be a conversation starter (in a good way).

I think for the next poll we need to vote on complete packages to come up with the final design.

Example:

Blue handles w/ stonewashed ELMAX- basically what won the polls

Some form of green (with the implied risk of it looking strange) + a 9% V steel, stonewashed + $50 bucks extra

White handles, DLC CPM m4

whatever anyone else wants to suggest.

I have an idea.

Instead of CPM M4, this:

UDDEHOLM VANADIS 4 EXTRA Data Sheet Link
Third Generation powder metal tool steel with excellent toughness. Harden and temper to 64-65 HRC for better edge retention, but still retaining a toughness level that exceeds powder metal M4. Best for high impact use.

It's Bohler's M4 class steel. 3rd gen. powder technology, and it's available in sheet form from Bohler specifically for knife making. It will offer improved toughness and edge retention over Crucible's M4, and will give us the quality that Bohler is known for. Better yet, it's rare as can be, but not super expensive compared to the 9% Vanadium steels.

I think my vote will fall here. Anyone know of any knives that use this? I can't think of any really. This steel is a bit different from standard M4 in that it is optimized for cold work jobs instead of high speed. This means in layman terms that it is better for knives since they rarely deal with the extreme heat that high speed steels are used in.

This stuff run at 64-65 Hrc will still be much tougher than D2, and have much greater wear resistance. I am sure if it's run that hard, we would be looking at more than M390 wear resistance, and a steel that is much tougher than XHP or ELMAX (more wear resistant than these also).

Maybe someone with a bit more knowledge can jump in and confirm what I am saying, but this looks to be one heck of a steel with the price range right where it needs to be. Ithink this would be a steel worthy of an HTM Gunhammer, and a better choice than CPM M4.

For me this pushes all the right buttons: rare(by name and by chem. properties), extremely tough, extremely wear resistant, Bohler quality, optimized for cold work like knives and specifically available for knife making stocked in warehouse in Washington.

I think this is the ticket. It also isn't going to be an extremely high dollar steel like S90V or 20CP I think. Plus it will be easier to work than those.

Last edited:
I'd rather just redo the steel and handle color vote than vote on packages. Because none of those packages really look like what I would want most.

I agree with Crimson, plus white handles sounds bad. I just picture it getting dirty looking quick. I may be wrong as I have never had anything anodised in white.

But, what do you guys think about Vanadis 4?

But, what do you guys think about Vanadis 4?
I really like it. It was among the steels I mentioned to Darrel a while back when I sent him a list of exotic (at least in the knife world) steels that I'd be interested in ordering a custom Gunhammer in if the Bohler, Carpenter, etc. folks ever send some sample bars his way. Not sure what the availability or pricing would be like on it, though.

Assuming this first forum-designed HTM Gunhammer is successful, I bet we can do more later on with other exotic steels (i.e., ones that Darrel doesn't have on hand and/or that have never been used in production or semi-production knives). This time around, I think it's best to keep it a bit simpler; as Hark has mentioned before, we want sure this doesn't become a burden on Darrel.

I just want to know where to pre-order :)
I've been wanting a Gunhammer for a while and this project is the only thing keeping me from buying one right now this second!

I just want to know where to pre-order :)
I've been wanting a Gunhammer for a while and this project is the only thing keeping me from buying one right now this second!
Haha, I'll be putting up an order thread as soon as we finish hammering out the details of the knife. I'm eager to get the setup finalized and order one too!

Gamble Green, huh? I like that name. Unless I lose, but I suppose losing a gamble doesn't exactly pay.

I am cool with whatever handle color except maybe white unless someone can prove that it won't get dirty looking easily. If it doesn't show dirt badly then anything is cool with me.

I hope those that are voting for S90V are at least considering picking up one of these knives. I would hate to see people get priced out of the knives because a bunch of voters clicked S90V but had no intention of buying the knife. Did I say that right?

Because information is paramount and I don't want anyone to feel cheated for any reason, I was just informed that HTM Max GLIDE assisted Gunhammers are shipping to dealers as we speak. I don't know what blade steel (guessing s35vn). I just figured I should let people know. I'm guessing it will be a standard config Gunny in the black anno.

I'm itching for a new knife. Any idea who these went to? I haven't seen any pop up yet.

Back