Who's interested in a special edition 2012 DDR/HTM Forum Gunhammer?

You said it shouldn't change our minds about what we want. Very clever.

So maybe XHP will be a fantastic choice then. Since Darrel does his own heat treat, I expect he has been doing his homework and this will come with a heat treat worthy of the DDR logo. I'm sold, XHP for me.

Now it all comes together. Love to hear everyone's thoughts, including yours Hark. What has Darrel said about XHP? He must like it or he wouldn't be doing a run in it.

You said it shouldn't change our minds about what we want. Very clever.

So maybe XHP will be a fantastic choice then. Since Darrel does his own heat treat, I expect he has been doing his homework and this will come with a heat treat worthy of the DDR logo. I'm sold, XHP for me.

Now it all comes together. Love to hear everyone's thoughts, including yours Hark. What has Darrel said about XHP? He must like it or he wouldn't be doing a run in it.

Darrel's favorite steel is still d2. He would say something like, "XHP is a great steel" and leave it at that. He's the opposite of wordy.

As for me, I only know of what XHP is on paper. I haven't had the opportunity to use any knives in the stuff. I gravitate toward Bohler steels, but that's just me. Then again, m390 is out of the question for this sprint run, which is what my custom knife will be in. I don't think you could go wrong with XHP. I think Hinderer is quite fond of the stuff if I'm not mistaken.

Interesting read discussing Carpenters process supposedly being improved compared to Bohler. They claim smaller particle size and cleaner steel to boot. Posted on the Spyderco forum (not BFC).

Originally Posted by N. Brian Huegel
As part of my interest in understanding powder metallurgy, I sent an email to Ronald Long at Carpenter Technology Corporation. He is the Commercial Manager of the Knife Blade Products division. He has graciously allowed me to share it with the forum. Here is a portion of our correspondence.

Q: Per this Spyderco forum thread, in what began as a discussion about their latest Mule made with Böhler M390, I have attempted to compare / contrast with your CTS-204P. As part of the discussion, it has been brought up that your powder metallurgy is 2nd generation whereas Böhler’s is 3rd generation.

A: From one of Carpenter’s R & D managers: “The first generation powder product that was originally produced in Sweden by Erasteel and Anval (now CPP AB) consisted of air induction melting in a top pouring furnace followed by pouring the molten metal into a tundish from which the molten metal is bottom poured out of the tundish and is atomized to produce a coarse powder, typically -1000 microns or -500 microns.

The second generation powder product as practiced by Erasteel, CPP AB, and Böhler, consists of the first generation air induction melting process followed by pouring the molten metal into a heated, refining tundish called an “ESH” tundish (Electro-Slag Heated tundish), where the molten metal is heated with graphite electrodes (Erasteel and Böhler process) or a plasma torch (CPP AB). The refining tundish permits the molten metal to be purified (reduce the amount of inclusions). After refining, the molten metal is poured out of the bottom of the tundish and is atomized to produce a coarse powder, typically -1000 microns or -500 microns (the same powder size as the first generation process).

Böhler’s third generation powder product consists of the second generation process followed by a modified atomization process that produces a finer powder, typically 250 microns. Böhler claims the finer powder reduces the presence of coarse carbides compared to the first and second generation, coarser powder.

As noted above, CPP AB uses the second generation powder process. CPP BVL (BVL is our facility in the US and our source for CTS 204P) uses both air induction melting and vacuum induction melting coupled with the use of reticulated refractory filters in its tundish to produce 150 micron powder (finer than Böhler’s powder) for P/M tool steel millform products. CPP BVL’s powder manufacturing process does not directly compare to the European classification system of “first, second and third” generation powder processing. BVL’s vacuum induction melting + filtration process plus the use of -150 micron powder is cleaner than the third generation process. The air induction melting process + filtration process plus the use of -150 micron powder is equivalent to the second generation process with a finer powder than the second generation process.”

From Ron: As you can see it is not exactly an “apples to apples” comparison when one puts the processes side by side.

Effectively, from dimensional perspective, our “2nd generation” process produces a finer, 150 micron powder than their “3rd generation” process which is 250 microns. And I don’t believe they would argue that their 250 micron material would have finer carbides than our 150 micron material.

The other issue is product cleanliness. I have asked for information on product rejection rates for inclusions and have yet to find an example. I am not saying they do not happen; just that folks are having problems finding the last time it did happen. In my short tenure here I have not dealt with an inclusion. I will look to get you a better definition of cleanliness relative to our product.

Regards,

Ronald Long
Carpenter Technology Corporation
Commercial Manager- Knife Blade Products
His only concern in allowing me to quote him and Carpenter is that he does not want to get into a situation where he might sound like, or be accused of, being critical of Böhler-Uddeholm which was not his intent. I do not believe that this will be the perception and I sincerely appreciate his explanation and knowledge on the subject. I also invited him to participate directly with this forum and also encouraged him and Carpenter to consider establishing a forum or sub-forum of their own. Time will tell if this comes to fruition, however, I do believe that the above is a definitive expression of Carpenter Technology’s deep commitment to our industry and the future of cutlery steels.

Its essentially an improved third generation (sort of-see above post regarding generations from Carpenter) powder steel D2 with the stain resistance of 440C and a couple of tweaks to the chemical composition. Its D2 on steroids from what I understand.

Wait, does this essentially take away some of the rarity of our knife now? I mean the only difference will be stone washed blade, bearings if you want it, and the color of anodised handle. Hmm, now I'm confused. Thoughts?

Yeah, if the super secret 600 run steel is XHP, that will sour me on it a little.

I want something exclusive!

Its essentially an improved third generation (sort of-see above post regarding generations from Carpenter) powder steel D2 with the stain resistance of 440C and a couple of tweaks to the chemical composition. Its D2 on steroids from what I understand.

Wait, does this essentially take away some of the rarity of our knife now? I mean the only difference will be stone washed blade, bearings if you want it, and the color of anodised handle. Hmm, now I'm confused. Thoughts?
Yeah, that's why I was suggesting that we go with whichever steel isn't going to be used on the 600-piece run. So Elmax is one of the options on the table. Any other ideas that would still keep the price at the $310 point Elmax or XHP would (i.e., no 9% vanadium steels).

Yeah, that's why I was suggesting that we go with whichever steel isn't going to be used on the 600-piece run. So Elmax is one of the options on the table. Any other ideas that would still keep the price at the $310 point Elmax or XHP would (i.e., no 9% vanadium steels).

Okay, that's what I thought. I was afraid to hear that, but I'm thinking the same thing scurvey and neuron. Dang.

Problem is, I also have an ELMAX flipper in my pocket right. Its not a Gunhammer though...

Any other ideas? I am open to ELMAX though, just not crazy about it. I mean I love the steel, just want to branch out.

My only other immediate thought is Duratechs 20CV which again is an M399 equivalent steel. I know 204P was shot down because of quality issues, maybe this is okay?

Last edited:
Gimme a list of steels you want me to ask Darrel about. Duratech 20cv, anything else?

What about CTS-40cp?

I don't think there are many knives out there in that. It can be heated over 60HRC. Rick Hinderer says it is easier to sharpen than S30v but has comparable edge retention.

Haven't read through the whole thread so these may well have been mentioned but S90V or Elmax or CPM-M4 (with DLC) would totally rock my world.

Gimme a list of steels you want me to ask Darrel about. Duratech 20cv, anything else?

Hark, I know it's a long shot, but would you ask him about 20CP, S90V etc... and see how much he thinks it would bump up the price? I know everyone is a bit hesitant (understandably) about paying another $50 for this stuff, but what if it could be done for $20-30? Can't hurt to ask right? I am thinking that due to increased usage of S90V at least, prices must have come down somewhat, right? I don't know, I am just throwing it out there, whatever 9% Vanadium steel is cheapest I would be curious about knowing how much it would raise the price.

But I would definitely say ask him about 20CV, M4(63-64Hrc would make this an animal) possibly (we've decided on a stonewashed blade-would probably need another poll if people wanted M4 plus DLC), ELMAX is obviously in the running, CPM 3V would be kinda cool and run pretty hard would be tough to beat, DLC poll comment applies (not stainless).

Sorry Hark if it seems like I am just throwing Hail Mary's, but I am.
Maybe Darrel has some suggestions also, like something he has wanted to try or?

If we go with DLC coated CPM M4, I would like to resubmit the 'tuxedo' scheme.

DLC blade with white markings, White anodized handle with black hardware.

How is that for UNIQUE!

I asked him about all these steels and what he recommended. He just said Elmax. That's what he recommends.

Haha, he is not very wordy, huh?

I am not anti ELMAX. I know some of us, myself included, gave it the boot due to similar knife setups using it, but if it's a Gunhammer exclusive that would sweeten the deal quite a lot. I bet with DDR's heat treat, he can make this a monster of a steel. Maybe like 61-62Hrc? Phil Wilson said 62 is the sweet spot. I'm sure Darrel knows what he is doing so he doesn't need input, but for those interested, ELMAX run hard can be nearly M390 wear resistance with significantly more toughness.

Also, just curious, so 20CV isn't out necessarily, he just recommends ELMAX instead right?

Maybe Neuron can throw up :barf: another poll soon and we can settle on something.

I'm not sure how people have had experience with ELMAX, but I have just one lonely knife in it. It happens to be another bearing operated flipper (you guys know what it is).

It's a fantastic steel. It's extremely tough for it's level of wear resistance, tougher than S30V in my book. I actually used it to chop and baton my way through 3/4" 2000PSI rated hydraulic hose that is braided steel reinforced. I rolled the edge in a couple of spots, but not a single chip. The rolls in the edge were actually very insignificant and only took me a few minutes to sharpen out since they were so small. My edge still shaved arm hair after the hydraulic hose and before I sharpened it.

It is also extremely stain/corrosion resistant. I really cant see this steel ever rusting under normal usage, I just don't think it's possible but I could be wrong.

It also holds a very good working edge for a looooooong time and takes a very keen edge. I have also been able to polish the edge with a ton of success. It's quite possibly the best stainless steel out there. It also has very good edge stability in the knife I have it in. I'm not sure I even like M390 any better when I factor in how tough ELMAX is.

But...and there is always a but...I already have a knife in it. Until we see what is in the poll, I am undecided.

Back