Who's interested in a special edition 2012 DDR/HTM Forum Gunhammer?

Bearings it is.... I have the assisted version.. Very FAST!
I'm pretty open on the steel and color.... Do we have "final" choices yet?

The blade is going to be stonewashed for sure, and it is pretty much decided as CTS-XHP on the blade steel, that could change but is not likely at all. The handles will be either shark gray or blue depending on how the rest of the votes go, but blue has a very slight lead by 2 votes.

Blade shape will be either torpedo or bowie (your choice). And either bearings for a manual or a standard pivot for assisted opening which will be your choice also. No bearings with assisted opening as it's redundant.

Hark, do you think it might be possible to get the Evergreen handle sample made up? Or should we stick with the blue/shark grey debate?

And ya know, if you need a place to put the sample, it could always go on my M390 Gun Hammer :D

Hark, do you think it might be possible to get the Evergreen handle sample made up? Or should we stick with the blue/shark grey debate?

And ya know, if you need a place to put the sample, it could always go on my M390 Gun Hammer :D

I'll see what I can do. Can't promise anything.

Thanks for looking into it. I think there's a good chance green will take it away if we can get a decent green.

TBH, I really liked the copper/burnt orange handle that True North Knives had. That'd be my pick, hehe. But, I'm ok with whatever. The blue and gray do both look good from what I can see in the pics.

TBH, I really liked the copper/burnt orange handle that True North Knives had. That'd be my pick, hehe. But, I'm ok with whatever. The blue and gray do both look good from what I can see in the pics.

That would never fly. It's an exclusive to TNK. If Darrel used that same ano again regardless of only doing a 25 run, it would be less exclusive. Pretty sure Neil Ostroff, owner of TNK, also wouldn't be too pleased about that. General rule of thumb is, whatever color is an exclusive to an existing dealer will not be replicated. Same with blade steel for now. This is why this sprint won't be done in m390. m390 is an exclusive to knifecenter.

That would never fly. It's an exclusive to TNK. If Darrel used that same ano again regardless of only doing a 25 run, it would be less exclusive. Pretty sure Neil Ostroff, owner of TNK, also wouldn't be too pleased about that. General rule of thumb is, whatever color is an exclusive to an existing dealer will not be replicated. Same with blade steel for now. This is why this sprint won't be done in m390. m390 is an exclusive to knifecenter.

That makes sense, and I totally understand. I would never want to upset the relationship between Darrel and his dealers. And TNK is a great shop too. I just happen to love the color :thumbup:. If I purchased an exclusive knife, I'd be upset too if it became less exclusive. Whatever we will decide from our options will be great :thumbup::).

He and Neil are great friends. I met Neil a few years ago. Had lunch with both of them this past Bladeshow. They're a hoot. It's like a love/hate relationship between he and Darrel. It's really funny actually. If you've ever watched the medical drama House, he and Neil are like House and Wilson.

This might be a long shot, but what about Duratechs 20cv or Carpenters 204p, both are M390 offshoots with the same basic properties, just different names.

I'd be up for trying either of those out. I am not heart set on CTS-XHP. I just want to try something new. And the same arguments in favor of CTS-XHP I think would apply.

Then I would really be down for CTS 204P. I would much prefer that to XHP. I didn't suggest it in the first place because M390 was out, so I just assumed steels with the identical composition were out also. I think that would satisfy both the Knife center, Darrel, and us forumites. Its also American steel and very goods quality. Since its only 4% vanadium and less than 2% carbon, unlike something like S90V its less of a bear to grind and Darrel already has experience with it (in M390 form) it would be something that could work out well. Bring it.

Summary: Changing my vote to CTS 204P or Duratech 20CV.

I'm inclined to stick with CTS-XHP for this run. But it's nice to know that in the future we might be able to get around the M390 KC exclusive issues by trying one of the other steels with identical composition (although one of the things I like about the Bohler steels is their third-generation PM tech).

I'm inclined to stick with CTS-XHP for this run. But it's nice to know that in the future we might be able to get around the M390 KC exclusive issues by trying one of the other steels with identical composition (although one of the things I like about the Bohler steels is their third-generation PM tech).

If I'm not mistaken, and I often am, I think Carpenter also uses 3rd Gen powder steel technology for 20cp and 204p and others. I have heard this from several people but don't know it to be fact.

But, if you did want to put it in a poll I would be curious to see the outcome. I mainly love its incredible stain resistance and edge holding. I would appreciate it being looked into but I understand if we are to far down the rabbit hole to change.

If I'm not mistaken, and I often am, I think Carpenter also uses 3rd Gen powder steel technology for 20cp and 204p and others. I have heard this from several people but don't know it to be fact.

But, if you did want to put it in a poll I would be curious to see the outcome. I many love its incredible stain resistance and edge holding.
Unless Carpenter has updated their PM tech very recently, the CTS steels like 20CP, 204P, XHP, etc. are second-generation PM tech (with CPM being first-generation). Still really good stuff regardless.

I love M390 as well; it's my favorite general-purpose stainless steel. Part of the motivation for XHP, as discussed earlier when Elmax was being tossed around as a possibility, is that with quite a few knives appearing in Elmax and M390 lately, XHP will make the knife a bit more unique.

Interesting read discussing Carpenters process supposedly being improved compared to Bohler. They claim smaller particle size and cleaner steel to boot. Posted on the Spyderco forum (not BFC).

Originally Posted by N. Brian Huegel
As part of my interest in understanding powder metallurgy, I sent an email to Ronald Long at Carpenter Technology Corporation. He is the Commercial Manager of the Knife Blade Products division. He has graciously allowed me to share it with the forum. Here is a portion of our correspondence.

Q: Per this Spyderco forum thread, in what began as a discussion about their latest Mule made with Böhler M390, I have attempted to compare / contrast with your CTS-204P. As part of the discussion, it has been brought up that your powder metallurgy is 2nd generation whereas Böhler’s is 3rd generation.

A: From one of Carpenter’s R & D managers: “The first generation powder product that was originally produced in Sweden by Erasteel and Anval (now CPP AB) consisted of air induction melting in a top pouring furnace followed by pouring the molten metal into a tundish from which the molten metal is bottom poured out of the tundish and is atomized to produce a coarse powder, typically -1000 microns or -500 microns.

The second generation powder product as practiced by Erasteel, CPP AB, and Böhler, consists of the first generation air induction melting process followed by pouring the molten metal into a heated, refining tundish called an “ESH” tundish (Electro-Slag Heated tundish), where the molten metal is heated with graphite electrodes (Erasteel and Böhler process) or a plasma torch (CPP AB). The refining tundish permits the molten metal to be purified (reduce the amount of inclusions). After refining, the molten metal is poured out of the bottom of the tundish and is atomized to produce a coarse powder, typically -1000 microns or -500 microns (the same powder size as the first generation process).

Böhler’s third generation powder product consists of the second generation process followed by a modified atomization process that produces a finer powder, typically 250 microns. Böhler claims the finer powder reduces the presence of coarse carbides compared to the first and second generation, coarser powder.

As noted above, CPP AB uses the second generation powder process. CPP BVL (BVL is our facility in the US and our source for CTS 204P) uses both air induction melting and vacuum induction melting coupled with the use of reticulated refractory filters in its tundish to produce 150 micron powder (finer than Böhler’s powder) for P/M tool steel millform products. CPP BVL’s powder manufacturing process does not directly compare to the European classification system of “first, second and third” generation powder processing. BVL’s vacuum induction melting + filtration process plus the use of -150 micron powder is cleaner than the third generation process. The air induction melting process + filtration process plus the use of -150 micron powder is equivalent to the second generation process with a finer powder than the second generation process.”

From Ron: As you can see it is not exactly an “apples to apples” comparison when one puts the processes side by side.

Effectively, from dimensional perspective, our “2nd generation” process produces a finer, 150 micron powder than their “3rd generation” process which is 250 microns. And I don’t believe they would argue that their 250 micron material would have finer carbides than our 150 micron material.

The other issue is product cleanliness. I have asked for information on product rejection rates for inclusions and have yet to find an example. I am not saying they do not happen; just that folks are having problems finding the last time it did happen. In my short tenure here I have not dealt with an inclusion. I will look to get you a better definition of cleanliness relative to our product.

Regards,

Ronald Long
Carpenter Technology Corporation
Commercial Manager- Knife Blade Products
His only concern in allowing me to quote him and Carpenter is that he does not want to get into a situation where he might sound like, or be accused of, being critical of Böhler-Uddeholm which was not his intent. I do not believe that this will be the perception and I sincerely appreciate his explanation and knowledge on the subject. I also invited him to participate directly with this forum and also encouraged him and Carpenter to consider establishing a forum or sub-forum of their own. Time will tell if this comes to fruition, however, I do believe that the above is a definitive expression of Carpenter Technology’s deep commitment to our industry and the future of cutlery steels.

Well, I would be happy with either of those. I was one of the people who deferred to other people's expertise, but it does sound like we'd still get a very unique knife from the 204p, and either way, XHP or 204P, it would still be my first foray into carpenter steels.

Back