Why do I hate Cold Steel?

Cold Steel knives are definitely up there among the better knives in terms of pure cutting performance. And in the experiences I've had with the CS knives I own, the heat treating processes used by CS's manufacturers/contractors are very good. Although my main experience with CS steels are their AUS-8 and CTS-XHP.

That said, I still never really bond with CS's knives enough to make them a regular part of my EDC. I don't know why. I feel the same about Kershaw and ZT. There's some really good designs there, too, but I've never seemed able to bond with their knives, either, for whatever reason(s). Even though most of them also perform very well at what knives are meant to do: cutting.

Jim

Last edited:
Agreed, American Tantos are perfect for killing packing tape. Easiest shape to open packages with. :thumbsup:

I've been considering one of the Micro Recon 1's for this very purpose. I just placed an order.

cold-steel-micro-recon-1-knife-tanto.jpg

Last edited:
As he is a self made man, I respect LT's accomplishments. I also respect his training ethic. I don't dig trophy hunting, personally, but he idolizes the Teddy Roosevelt type and he romanticizes the late colonial era so I can understand his mentality. He has surrounded himself with people who will put up with his braggadocio because they want something he has or can bestow on them or because they like the feeling it gives them to be around such a forceful personality. That is the sort of person it takes to compete in a tough market. He's not on my list of dinner invitees, though.

Zieg

Well said. Truly.

Over the years I have worked with a lot of very successful people that are as obnoxious as hell. Some good ideas, their obnoxious bragging and self centered ways got them noticed and in the game. And maybe a factor was that so many were waiting for them to fail. But what keeps them in the game is their continued ability to deliver on their claims. The best of intentions and dedication can't guarantee that. Only luck, skill, determination, dedication and more luck can do that.

This thread has caused me to think about Lynn and his silliness in marketing. For me, this thread has made him less offensive to me as a marketing shill. CS is his company and and has his hands unashamedly all over it. Regardless of all the moral tears shed over him being a hunter and fisherman, the screaming from desk/cubicle "operators" that can't stand his testing methods, and the disgust over his designs, he presses on flying his own flag. I have never heard him say anything nearly as vitriolic in response to his detractors as they have said about him.

He has found a way to do what any marketing genius does, and that is to keep his name out there in the public eye.

We are a strange group in America. We like eccentrics (unless they aren't successful, they they are just weird), we admire and adore terribly successful people of all stripe and occupation. We respect and glorify our athletes, we honor and revere our titans of business, etc., etc. But only as long as they act the WE think they should, conduct themselves in the way WE think is appropriate. And after reaching certain heights, they must develop a sense of humility and thankfulness to "all the people that got them there". To be popular, they even need to stick their toe in the dirt, hang their thumbs in their pant loops and say "aw shucks" every once in a while. Yessir, we like our successful people to have a sense of humility about their success, no matter their sacrifice.

I have to say though, that his marketing techniques are successful NOT ONE SINGLE person I know has ever seen one of his "offensive" videos. Or any of his videos for that matter. I am part of a knife carrying profession (construction) and I hunt, fish, hike, and always have a couple of knives on me and knives are almost always part of the conversation. All the boys like my American Lawman but they don't know Lynn, aren't aware of his antics, and wouldn't think of taking the time to look him up to watch a video. I have described the videos, and my boys just aren't interested. Maybe it is kind of a select group that takes his videos so closely to heart, I don't know.

To me, they are just knives. Or in Thompson's case, knives of all shapes and sizes, swords, shovels, baseball bats, sunglasses, throwing stars, spear points, and on and on.

Robert

I have small hands and I prefer sub 3 inch blades, as such none of their knives are for me. That and I'm not sure about this, but do they evee make a FFG folders?

I have small hands and I prefer sub 3 inch blades, as such none of their knives are for me. That and I'm not sure about this, but do they evee make a FFG folders?

They have some smaller folders actually, but choices are limited. I really wish the tuff lite came in CTS XHP... what an easy to sharpen slicing machine that would be.

Yeah, but the blade has "BROKEN SKULL" on it.. LOL! :D
Yeah, that's pretty bad. I still have an orange one I use in the woods though. It's good for hacking thorns off hiking trails. I wasn't going to get one because of the big lettering on the blade. But, after using a friend's and seeing how well it worked I figured why not, nobody ever looks at my knives anyway besides me. (That is unless I show them and even then most people don't want to look at them)

Reactions: 353
I definitely do now, but for a long time hated the company because of how the videos alone made me want to buy. Knowing that I as a naive teenager was lured in like a bass to a crankbait just didn't sit right with me.
I want to want a knife because of what it is not because of how badass it's marketed to appear.
Thank God no other products advertise like that....automobiles, beer, jeans,phones, beef jerky...

My favorite CS knife is the Broken Skull. I do think the wording on it is tacky, but I don't dislike it enough to remove the DLC finish on mine. Like Jill said, nobody ever looks at or cares about my knives, and if anybody ever does, one knife looks like the other to them. I sometimes use my Beoken Skull doing yard work. It's so light and thin that I just carry it unclipped down in pocket, like a regular pocketknife, rather than use the horrible, pocket-shredding clip. Cuts like crazy.

As for LT, he's certainly been doing something right. CS has been around for how long? Nearly 40 years now?

Jim

My love/hate relationship ends with not liking their pocket clips. Bad positions and awkward curves.

Probly worth watching some of Lynn's videos where he talkes about his child hood and why he does what he does. I'm not so much defending him but at least you can see where he is coming from.

I have many CS knives but I definitly lean toward the work knives and not toward the swords and mayhem stuff.
I don't know . . .Thompson and the boys make some good stuff, they are passionate about it . . . if it was all crappy knives and hype it would be different but they do a good job for me. Designs that work and heat treats that can carve burs off mild steel and not ever chip on me . . .
I'll at least defend that.
I can understand this, but what stops me dead in my tracks is his thinking that he owns the term "San Mai" and has sent out numerous cease and desist letters to custom knife makers for using the term.

Anyone that has That big of an ego, is not going to get one cent from me.

Last edited:
Tuff Lite and the Voyager are the only two knives from them i care about

I've sworn them off since the San Mai debacle.

Back