Why do we love knife so much? Seriously why?

I enjoy using good tools and having a knife is one more tool that serves a purpose. I’ve learned over the years, you get what you pay for. For me having a quality tool/knife will be more reliable.
Plus it gives me an excuse to buy more knives. You don’t just have one screwdriver now do you ?
It’s also moved into a hobby for me and with this generation of knives, how can one be satisfied without trying different types of knives that are available.
I’m just an older kid with a bigger allowance.

Well when I was just a little pup (lil pup dad use to call me) he would always just tell me about knifes and so I really started liking them about then,, but that was so many decades ago now,, but I guess I just never lost the love

First I use knife on a regular basis during the day so it makes sense to me to have my own tool so I am sure it will work fine

I also like the material and craftsmanship that manufacturers put into some models

I grew up with one in my pocket. Got my first knife, a BSA knife at 6. It wasn't a real BSA knife but a Montgomery Wards knockoff.

That knife went everywhere and did everything from my own adventuring, camping, goofing around in the woods, went fishing, and anything you could imagine using a knife for until I was about 10.

Then my Dad got me a CASE trapper which rarely left my pocket. About 2 years later I bought a large CASE stockman. Now I had three knives! That stockman did everything from starting campfires to scraping off old gasket material and cleaning off corrosion on the ignition points as needed on my '59 Ford one ton truck.

More years go by, more knives. I am a contractor that grew up in the trades, so there has rarely been a day that I wasn't carrying a knife for work. It is still that way. If I leave home without a knife in my pocket, likely I will return for one. Never, ever do I go a day without at least one knife.

I grew up with them, I use them to help make a living, and I just plain love having a well made, hard working tool in my pocket. For me, it's part of who I am.

Robert

Last edited:
Because sometimes I need to cut things. I might need to open a package, remove a zip tie, or cut a loose thread from a garment. I occasionally have to trim something, from a rough piece of wood down to the callus on my foot. You never know and having a knife means being prepared.

Being prepared means being prepared in any situation. As I just said in another thread: "I've had family members ask why I have a bunch of different pocket knives. It's because our situation isn't always the same. Sometimes we might be wearing shorts and a Hawaiian shirt, maybe coveralls, a winter coat, maybe a suit and tie, etc. We also might be doing different things. Having the right knife for the situation is priceless... That's why "budget gems" matter. They help people with limited resources to have a great EDC rotation."

This is why I've been so happy to see the Tangram line of knives. In my experience, they seem to be well made. I think Acuto 440 is an excellent budget steel. Versus other budget steels like 8Cr13Mov and AUS-8, Acuto 440 holds a nice edge and is much more resistant to corrosion. With all the budget D2 on the market, I'd really like to see more knives in Acuto 440. I'd love to see some new flippers and fixed blades from Tangram.

Because it is hard-wired in our brains, I believe... Besides knifes I collect stone-age tools and my oldest ones are 80.00+ years old.
5h2n8cjrwbdl.jpg

I love knife so much because I do. That's enough for me. Ask me "why do you love pasta al sugo so much" and I will answer just the same.

Knives have been a fascination of mine most of my life. I really don’t use my knives much so they are more of a luxury item than a necessity. I like knives that are fun to fidget with like ones equipped with the axis lock, or ball lock such as the one on my Manix 2.

Because it is man's oldest and most useful tool. If you don't understand a man's love for tools then your upbringing was a failure. I feel very fortunate that at some point in my development my Father told me that it was time I learned how to fix my stuff when it broke because he wasn't going to do it any more. He taught me how things worked and to respect and appreciate quality tools. He also allowed to use his tools while I started building my own set. Woe to me if I did not replace a wrench exactly where he kept it. And now I am almost 70 and have a shop with stacks of tool chests filled with tools I have collected over my life and no matter what tool I need - I know EXACTLY which drawer it will be in. The military also taught me the importance of having an organized shop so that no time was wasted looking for the tool needed.

I like nice tools. Knives are tools. I like nice knives. I have a lot, but not as many as some. I enjoy them all, from my first "real" knife, my Kershaw Tone, to the more recent Benchmades and Bucks.

I don't always need to cut something, but I always have at least one knife on me at any time, and more often than not two. It is a fun, but expensive, hobby!

I don't know why I love knives so much just like I don't know why I love hammers so much, but I do know what I love about them.
They are man's first and most important tools, whey were perfected long ago, and old examples still get the job done just as well today as they ever did.
As long as man walks this planet he will need to cut things and he will need to hammer on things, I can't think of anything else besides fire that has been or will be around as long.

Back