Why do we love knife so much? Seriously why?

It's more fun than collecting coins.

Indeed. Or stamps. And try as I might to collect either, I just can't make it work.

Invariably, I have to pay a parking meter or get a gumball out of the gum machine... there go the coins...

Then eventually I have to mail something like a bill or birthday card or such and, well, there go the stamps...

Knives just seem to hang around the house longer.

Why I love knife so much? Staying power I suppose.

Cause I need to cut things, and sometimes things need stabbing. I don’t wear a watch or other expensive “man-jewelry”. Also it tends to freak people out when I walk around with my gun collection .

Because I can’t get my hand sharp enough to cut with. Tried using my fingernails but they break and tear to easy. My teeth aren’t long enough and some things taste really bad. Lol

I don't know why I love knives so much just like I don't know why I love hammers so much, but I do know what I love about them.
They are man's first and most important tools, whey were perfected long ago, and old examples still get the job done just as well today as they ever did.
As long as man walks this planet he will need to cut things and he will need to hammer on things, I can't think of anything else besides fire that has been or will be around as long.
Add some duct tape to the mix and you can accomplish damn near anything!

As long as I can remember I've been facinated by metalworking, weapons, tools, machines and engineering. I grew up in the 70s and 80s and it seems like a thousand years ago as that country doesnt exist anymore. We still played cowboys and indians and cops and robbers even in the big city We idolized our WW2 grandparents and uncles and built glow plug powered balsa wood Stukas and P47s. We were taught to fight back if we were bullied in the schoolyard and to bloody our tormentors nose. We were the good guys and the Russians were the bad guys and strength, strength alone could support freedom.

I'm getting off on a rant here but I guess for me its the combination of pleasing lines, sense of tradition and small bit of self reliance that a good blade gives you. I love it when someone says "anybody got a knife"?

Last edited:
They are useful.
They can connect us to previous generations, and friends who are no longer with us.
For example, when I use a stockman or Barlow, I cannot help but think of my (maternal) great grandfather (1892-1974) who carried and used those patterns. When I use a Buck 110 or similar knife, I remember a friend who was killed in a motorcycle accident not a week after High School graduation.
A Old Hickory "kitchen" knife reminds me of my grand mothers, great grandmothers, and (maternal) great-great grandmother (c.1870-1960) and even grandparents I never met, since they would have had the same knife.
I'm sure my 5th great grandmothers would have used simple carbon steel knives and cast iron pans, just like I did when I was still cooking for myself.
Some knives have a certain grace and class.
Personally, I especially like multi-blade knives because they are more versatile.

There are numerous things that can spark ones interest in history, or technology, or aesthetic art. How wonderful it is to discover that knives are rich in all three areas. It is a simple tool that has been crucial for our survival since prehistoric times. Yet, despite the simplicity knives remain intensely personal and show no tendency to flow towards a singular optimized solution. If that fails to grab you, there is that simple self-realizing discovery that most of us learn in early childhood, which is that life without a knife is difficult.

n2s

I grew up estranged from my ethnic family roots and had no knowledge of their culture yet I carried knives and played knife games including full contact pen knife duels from my earliest memories without anybody influencing me into it.

Then I met with my primitive Sicilian mountain village cultural roots and everything made perfect sense.

For me it’s just a hobby (like any other- exercising, reading, movies, music...). It suits me indoor and outdoor, That is putting it mildly, keeping it simple.

Last edited:
Back