Why do ya love SwampRats ?

When I first got into knives I tried to seek out the toughest, most reliable knives I could and stumbled upon SwampRat knives.

The one I constantly drooled over was the Howling Rat, never did get one but did get a Ratmandu,Chopweiler, Swampwarden and a Bandicoot.

I'm afraid to say I let the Bandicoot go and often wish I hadn't !!!!

My taste in knives changes every week but for some reason SwampRats are always the ones I seem to come back to, I trust them 100% and they feel like reliable old friends that will never let me down.

What got you all into SwampRat knives and why do ya love em so much ?

I really like the pretty simple designs, incredible toughness and the value for what you get. I like the stuff I buy to last a lifetime and I know these will.

For me, they are simply perfect.

The Camp Tramp, Howling Rat and Battle Rat...how could they really be better?

I could have stopped with them, scored a SAK and folder and be set for life.

So many things!

The design appeals to me more than the Busses usually, as the Rats tend to be plainer and less combat centric. The ergos are great. The warranty can't be beat (warranty is whatever you think is reasonable, which is mildly unhitched :D). Tough as nails. SR101 is a Beast!

-- Adam

I too am obsessed with finding the highest quality knives available that won't fail me in tough use. My first Rat was a Ratmandu and I wasn't too keen on it and traded it. In all I have had at a ratmandu, chopweiler, two ratweilers and a Waki. I can now say that I really regret getting rid of my black user ratweiler, the thing was amazing but I traded it for a new ratweiler in muddy brown because I didnt think I cared what color a knife was and a user for a new one sounded like a good deal. IMO muddy brown is ugly as sin and I cant wait to get rid of it. I repurchased a ratmandu and I think I am going to hold on to my waki. Ive realized that out of all the brands Swamp rat knives are the ones I admire the most. They are built so tough that I never have to worry about breaking them. I am buying every swamp rat offering from here on out. The best thing is that you dont feel bad spending money on them because they are such an excellent investment. :D I know that even if I beat the living poo out of one it will still likely never fall below its original cost. Ive tried ESEE, Cold Steel, SOG, and Gerber fixed blades and not to say that they aren't quality but they simply are not on par with the stuff that comes out of the swamp for the asking price.

Swamp Rat for life, I wouldn't have it any other way :D

For myself, it started with wanting to buy an indestructable knife that had a great working design and a company that backed their product. I found all those with Swamp Rat (and Busse). But, I have to say that once I actually held my first Swamp Rat blade (RatManDu), it was the grip I'd been looking for in a knife design....it was perfect for me.

I quickly realized that I needed to make room in my collection for more Rats. Soon after, I bought an "HRLM" and a custom M9. And, I can't wait to add more Rats to the family..:D

I am fairly new to Busse and SwampRat however, once I got my hands on them, I knew I was holding something out of the ordinary, and I have owned many brands. Normally, anything decent in this world, is reserved for the rich, Not so with the SwampRat brand. Great product at a price a poor man can afford, How unusual is that in these sad times we are in?
I don't feel like I have to be careful and can actually use it without breaking it. Imagine that! That is a refreshing feeling, as more and more junk products roll out of China and plague our stores. How wonderful, some actual American Men and Women, building a quality product and standing behind it, priceless!! I will never purchase another sub par knife or deal with any knife manufacturer associated with China ever again. Busse/Kin prove that American's can indeed market a solid product, make a profit, and earn a living contrary to the spin we hear everyday! Whoooooo

Kinda off topic here but i think that is a bit extreme. A lot of junk comes out of China, but as Spyderco has proven, reputable companies can produce high quality knives there.

FYI, that computer you just posted on, the VAST majority of it was made in Taiwan, part of China.

-- Adam

Adam,
are you referring to this computer that has been repaired twice since the rinky dink warranty expired?? :) You are missing my point my good man, and I will leave it there. Yes, I am excited about these knives and that's the way I feel about them so..........................

HAHA, yes, that's the computer I'm referring to.

I work in IT and see a LOT of broken computers, i have no illusions there!

I respect that you vote with your wallet, I try to do the same. I'm not trying to sway your opinion here, just adding that its up to the company to produce a quality product, not the country its produced in.

I think we probably agree about this more than disagree. Either way, SRKW knives are GREAT and its a big plus that we are supporting other Americans working for an American company.

Lets give SRKW the credit they deserve for being a top notch company, not just a top notch American company (also nice :)).

Thanks,
Adam

I love the steel, heat treat, and warranty. Oh, and the knives as well!

Because SR101 is some of the toughest steel that I have ever encountered.When I got my Battle Rat I had to reprofile the edge.It took me longer than any knife I ever owned,and I've owned a few hundred.It's probably the sharpest knife I have,and one of the toughest.Anyway,it's BADA$$!!

Adam,
I was not trying to sound political, after re/reading, I can see where one might think that from my post. I was expressing my aggravation at many kinds of products that fail all the time and had no knife manufacturer's in particular, in mind at the time. I own several American manufactured knives that I like just fine however, think Busse/Kin are on another level. I was expressing my satisfaction with the products, something I don't seem to be able to do much anymore. Guess I got a little excited......... :rolleyes:

The Howling Rat was first for me - I still have it. For me, overall perfection in a do-it-all blade is still the Ratweiler in SR101.

The ergonomics. Smart designs for those who want a useful, usable knife. Comfortable in the hand. Usable choils. Sensible blade profiles. Good balance. Excellent steel. Reasonable price.

I spent a lot of time checking out all different kinds of fixed blades before I finally stumbled on the Ratmandu. As soon as I saw it I bought it and im totally digging it. I had a beautiful leather sheath made by Dwayne Puckett (review coming soon) and now this is my go to blade for anything outdoors. I was out at my buddies house grinding some knives were making and I was using the Ratmandu to split wood for the stove. He recently had a barn torn down so were using that wood to burn. While batoning through a piece I hit a nail with the Ratmandu and didn't realize it was a nail, thought I was in a nasty knot. I kept pounding and pounding and it wasnt splitting. When I noticed the nail I was like ohhhh crap. After inspecting my edge I was amazed to find no damage.

Great blade...everyone should own one.

in over 30 years of using and abusing knives,I got pretty good at "judging a knife by it's cover",and can gauge fairly well how far a knife could be pushed...
every knife I've owned and/or used had a boundary beyond which lay doom.
...except Swamp Rat/Bussekin.
Ever used a 2 pound Estwing framing hammer to pound your knife through a sheet of 1" thick paper-faced forming plywood,and then "baton" the blade with the hammer until you cut a 10" circle out of it?
I did,with my HRLM.
More than once.
**DO NOT TRY THAT AT HOME: I'M A PROFESSIONALLY TRAINED IDIOT
AND ABUSING YOUR KNIFE LIKE THAT COULD RESULT IN INJURY,
AND, YOUR KNIFE MAY NOT LIKE YOU MUCH AFTERWARDS**
(unless it's a Rat/Bussekin...they'll forgive you eventually)

These are the first knives I've found that I would not hesitate to trust my life to,110%

They are hard-working,honest and true...
just like the folks who make them,and own them.
'Nuff said.

(Jerry,you may use that as a marketing slogan:I'll take my royalties in cheese :D)

For me, overall perfection in a do-it-all blade is still the Ratweiler in SR101.

What he said, I have but one an early Ratweiler. I'm waiting on a big chopper though and should really pick up a couple of the smaller rats. They seem to be verrrrry well built and tough as hell. Also i like the overall design alot and you can't beat the warrenty. :thumbup::thumbup:

Back