1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Why Ganzo?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Jim_Archibald, Aug 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danbot

danbot Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 2009
    The Bowie design was not patented to my knowledge.

hexenjager and marcinek like this.
  2. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    Well sure they rip of the patents and copy registered trademarks but surely they would draw the line at stealing from their customers; quelle horreur!

hexenjager likes this.
  3. Jim_Archibald

Jim_Archibald

Jul 14, 2019
    Examples? I doubt the Persian design had to be studied too much.

4. danbot

Oct 31, 2009
    Examples: Kershaw Ken Onion speed-safe assisted opener. Benchmaed Axis lock.

Insipid Moniker likes this.
  5. Jim_Archibald

Jim_Archibald

Jul 14, 2019
    Like several here say, gotta research. Does ANYONE here realize China operates under different rules? I'm certain China isn't alone. I see Russian Federation Axis locks too, but hey nothings said 'bout them. Ganzo is certainly run by Satan, at least it's the rift I'm getting, and that's silly.

6. 91bravo

91bravo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Knife companies build their own versions influenced by a blade shape or a pattern. Ganzo builds exact replicas of said knives, and then put their stamp on it. Big difference. Look at your Firebird for instance, it's an exact copy of the BM940. It's a copy, which is a clone, which is frowned upon here. You've come to the wrong place to try and shill for Ganzo. They are probably despised by 99% of the members here.

palonej and marcinek like this.
  7. benchwarmer380

benchwarmer380 Valyrian Member Platinum Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Those examples do not support your position. Benchmade licensed the Spydie hole and Spyderco licensed the Emerson wave.

IIRC, Benchmade did not license it at first and did so after they were brought to court by Spyderco.

marcinek likes this.
  8. danbot

Oct 31, 2009
    Screw China.

9. Jim_Archibald

Jim_Archibald

Jul 14, 2019
    Ken Onion speed safe wasn't copied by Ganzo. They don't even offer assisted action. As to the "Axis-Lock" which was under copyright I believe it had expired however. It is a barrel lock mechanism and is on many knives. I do give 100% credit to Benchmade for the Osborne blade design. That may or may not be a copy or modification of a previous design, I don't know. It was however, inovative to the hobby considering the 940's popularity. Also credit must be given to Spyderco even if their trademark hole creates a weak spot.

10. Jim_Archibald

Jim_Archibald

Jul 14, 2019
    That'll keep you busy.o_O

11. danbot

Oct 31, 2009
    It may not have been copied by Ganzo, but it is an example of the expense that companies undertake to bring innovation to market.

12. benchwarmer380

benchwarmer380 Valyrian Member Platinum Member

Sep 17, 2012
    "Had expired" is incorrect. I do believe it is currently expired, yet Ganzo was using it years before that happened.

13. danbot

Oct 31, 2009
    Oh, it does! :D

14. Planterz

Planterz Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2004
    A "Bowie knife" isn't even really a design or style, historically. It's just a bigass fighting knife. Most knives we recognize as a "bowie" bear little resemblance to to Jim Bowie's Sandbar knife.

You're trying to equate a broad ethnic/historical style to a company that deliberately and closely copy specific knives from specific brands. I'll do you the favor of not assuming you're so unintelligent that you don't recognize the difference, but rather you are desperately trying to justify supporting theft of intellectual property by making fallacious arguments. Ganzo has stolen both trademarked (Spyderhole) and patented (Benchmade AXIS lock) designs in addition to copying overall designs. The fact that China doesn't recognize patents and trademarks doesn't mean that it's OK, ethically speaking. New designs are being created constantly, yet Ganzo (and their ilk) deliberately copy specific designs to masquerade as better, more expensive knives for unscrupulous people like you.

15. Jim_Archibald

Jim_Archibald

Jul 14, 2019
    Bottom line is that Ganzo seems to be unfairly singled out, in a knife manufacturing world that routinely copies for a living. I stand by my conclusions, that it's more of a "anti- savings campaign" than a matter of quality or perceived wrong done. And, just FYI, my NEXT knife will be a Case Trapperlock with kickstart. To the best of my knowledge Ganzo hasn't copid it yet.;)

16. JBC6650

JBC6650 Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Is this one of those threads that ends where, And just by happenstance Jim has a YouTube channel and a deal with Gearbest to showcase new products...? Or are you just recently retired and looking for a fight you won't win?

If its the second mission accomplished, you're now literally the punch line to a joke and will get no respect or even cordial treatment here.

17. 91bravo

91bravo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Nothing unfair about it at all. Ganzo does exact replicas of other knives. Show me an exact replica that Spyderco, BM, ZT, CRK, or any other knife company, has produced.

18. Dfunk1210

Dfunk1210

Apr 7, 2015
    Bottom line is you have added nothing to the debate. You should have just searched Ganzo for answers as to why your views are misguided. Would have saved everyone a whole lot of time.

Insipid Moniker and marcinek like this.
  19. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    I'm not sure what your purpose was in starting this thread.

marcinek likes this.
  20. Grateful

Grateful Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 5, 2002
    He probably just copied it from someone else.

JohnWE, palonej, hexenjager and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.