Why Ganzo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bottom line is that Ganzo seems to be unfairly singled out, in a knife manufacturing world that routinely copies for a living. I stand by my conclusions, that it's more of a "anti- savings campaign" than a matter of quality or perceived wrong done. And, just FYI, my NEXT knife will be a Case Trapperlock with kickstart. To the best of my knowledge Ganzo hasn't copid it yet.;)
I stand by my opinion that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Of course it's also possible that you're merely a troll. Opinel and Rough Rider are both brands that are widely respected here and many of their products are under $20. Heck, Rough Riders are even made in China. Spyderco and Kershaw both have loads of inexpensive knives made in China that receive immense praise on these forums all the time.

But if you actually did some reading you would figure all that out. Unfortunately, you won't bother to do so, and I'm sure you'll continue to equate a distaste for thievery with snobbishness because you can't be bothered to further educate yourself.

I was speaking to a guy who designed a recent Spyderco knife, I was asking him if he’d gotten fancy money from the design. He’s gotten $2700 so far. I wish it were more. Stealing designs discourages innovators from making new ones. It hurts everyone. Breaking the rules from somewhere where you can’t be reached or held accountable is a bitch move. Not everyone is so cheap that they sacrifice what they believe in to save money, especially for an inferior product. Besides, your low prices are only low because they are being subsidized by illegalities, theft and infringement.

I was considering not responding here, but it's too juicy to ignore.

Ganzo makes quality knives for a very low price. Outside of the issue of copying, that is very hard to argue.
If people have such an issue with copied designs, then buy the unique designs from ganzo instead of trashing the entire company.

I am a knife maker and have had designs stolen from me by the chinese. I have no problem with that because people who are looking for an emerson knife aren't the ones buying ganzos. People that value spyderco wont buy a clone or copy.
Ganzos are not taking sales from companies like spyderco and benchmade. They are competing in a completely unique market of low-budget knives.
Saying that "Ganzo copies designs so they are immediately terrible and should be stomped out" is incredibly shortsighted. There is not a single ganzo that is a clone. Copies, maybe, but no clones.
Boycotting companies like this is a surefire way to kill the knife industry. Not everyone can afford a $175 benchmade. Hell, most people can't justify spending $90 on a delica. or $50 on a manbug or even $20 on an opinel...
Ganzo is not a replacement to quality knives, rather a gateway drug to get people into our community.

My very first knife was a kershaw volt II. It was an OK knife but it wasn't what got me into collecting. I ordered a ganzo (the one that copied the spyderco stretch) and holding it in my hand, using it, learning how to take it apart and do maintenance... THAT's what got me into collecting. If I hadn't seen a good looking $12 knife... I would not be nearly as much of a support to the community as I am now.

I am now a proud owner of more than 5 spydercos, many Kershaws, some benchmades, many SAKs.... None of that would have happened without that first ganzo.

I'm not 100% sure what I'm trying to get at here to be honest, but immediately discounting ganzo as "evil" and "terrible" is not a good idea.

Ganzo makes quality knives for a very low price. Outside of the issue of copying, that is very hard to argue.
If people have such an issue with copied designs, then buy the unique designs from ganzo instead of trashing the entire company.

I am a knife maker and have had designs stolen from me by the chinese. I have no problem with that because people who are looking for an emerson knife aren't the ones buying ganzos. People that value spyderco wont buy a clone or copy.
Ganzos are not taking sales from companies like spyderco and benchmade. They are competing in a completely unique market of low-budget knives.
Saying that "Ganzo copies designs so they are immediately terrible and should be stomped out" is incredibly shortsighted. There is not a single ganzo that is a clone. Copies, maybe, but no clones.
Boycotting companies like this is a surefire way to kill the knife industry. Not everyone can afford a $175 benchmade. Hell, most people can't justify spending $90 on a delica. or $50 on a manbug or even $20 on an opinel...
Ganzo is not a replacement to quality knives, rather a gateway drug to get people into our community.

My very first knife was a kershaw volt II. It was an OK knife but it wasn't what got me into collecting. I ordered a ganzo (the one that copied the spyderco stretch) and holding it in my hand, using it, learning how to take it apart and do maintenance... THAT's what got me into collecting. If I hadn't seen a good looking $12 knife... I would not be nearly as much of a support to the community as I am now.

I am now a proud owner of more than 5 spydercos, many Kershaws, some benchmades, many SAKs.... None of that would have happened without that first ganzo.

I'm not 100% sure what I'm trying to get at here to be honest, but immediately discounting ganzo as "evil" and "terrible" is not a good idea.
We are not "immediately" discounting Ganzo as "evil" and "terrible". They have shown themselves over many years to be a scumbag company run by a scumbag owner.

We are not "immediately" discounting Ganzo as "evil" and "terrible". They have shown themselves over many years to be a scumbag company run by a scumbag owner.
just for the sake of brevity, could you give me a few examples? I genuinely haven't heard any

just for the sake of brevity, could you give me a few examples? I genuinely haven't heard any
Here is an example from a few years back. It's a partial quote from a Spyderco subforum thread.
Also, we met the Ganzo team. They came to our booth in Germany. The President, Sales manager and their group. Their behavior was so disrespectful, we had to ask them to leave out booth and forced them to delete the pictures of our prototypes their President took, around the "No Photos Please" sign. I am not a fan.

Respectfully,

sal

I've purchased $12 Opinels. Byrd knives are made by Spyderco and offered for around $20. Companies like Schrade may not make the best quality knives, but they offer legitimate, original designs at the same price point as the Ganzo clones.

To justify their theft you're perpetuating the lie that they're somehow the only game in town when it comes to inexpensive blades and there are many, many, many inexpensive original designs by reputable companies.

I've purchased $12 Opinels. Byrd knives are made by Spyderco and offered for around $20. Companies like Schrade may not make the best quality knives, but they offer legitimate, original designs at the same price point as the Ganzo clones.

To justify their theft you're perpetuating the lie that they're somehow the only game in town when it comes to inexpensive blades and there are many, many, many inexpensive original designs by reputable companies.
Not once did I say they are the only company that has inexpensive blades, Id appreciate if you took that back. What I WAS saying is that Ganzo acts as a gateway into the real knife world. Also, they are NOT clones. there are no marks on them claiming to be the real deal.
Spyderco Byrds and Schrade knives are of lesser quality than ganzo's as well.

Before you randomly accuse people you should probably read what they have to say.

Last edited:
Not once did I say they are the only company that has inexpensive blades, Id appreciate if you took that back. What I WAS saying is that Ganzo acts as a gateway into the real knife world. Also, they are NOT clones. there are no marks on them claiming to be the real deal.

Before you randomly accuse people you should probably read what they have to say.
You made the price argument clearly in your post. If you have issues with reading comprehension I suggest being more careful when typing. And they are clones. What they aren't is counterfeits, because they don't claim to be the knife that they've cloned, but they are absolutely, factually clones.

Im done, I don't wanna inflame more people.

edit: thank you, danbot danbot for keeping things civil. I appreciate it greatly. And you're right, my semantics were a little off
Just to clarify, I didn't claim you said there were no low cost alternatives, but you very clearly made the argument that we should ignore the unethical nature of Ganzo's business model because they were a low cost gateway to higher end knives. That argument, by necessity, must ignore the existence of all the low cost original designs made by reputable companies. Because if you acknowledge that, the idea that Ganzo has some unique draw (apart from stolen designs) falls apart. Thus, while you may not have come out and said, "there are no alternatives," your argument still perpetuates that myth.

I haven't commented as not much to say that hasn't been said but I wanted to respond to this. I do not agree with this in the least I have some issues with this piece here as much of it seems to try and justify the purchase of clones. Which also as brought up by another a clone doesn't have markings of the original it simply is a rebranded version of the original often made to less precise specs and in cheaper materials and few to no design changes. Post from people on this forum who purchase and support clones and clone makers show that there are people who at least are potential customers to the original maker but decided that the cheaper knockoff clone is good enough and don't have any moral concerns with the issue. Ganzo may be cleaning up their act but they have been doing dirty business for as long or longer that it all still just looks like an act more than a genuine interest in becoming an honest player in the market.

Like several here say, gotta research. Does ANYONE here realize China operates under different rules? I'm certain China isn't alone. I see Russian Federation Axis locks too, but hey nothings said 'bout them. Ganzo is certainly run by Satan, at least it's the rift I'm getting, and that's silly.
So the gist of your argument is that a crime is OK if everyone's doing it.

That's really going to clear up the court backlog. Everyone's innocent because someone else robbed, murdered, etc. before.

Brilliant.

Sorry but that it not true. I'm sure many people have looked at a Benchmade 940-1 and before they go to buy, they find a Ganzo knock off and buy that instead. They had every intention of buying the 940-1 but when they see the ripoff Ganzo, they decide the try that instead. .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back