Why is Alox so expensive?

David Nowlin

Gold Member
I saw a few postings of Alox SAK’s and said to myself “I need to see about getting one of those”. But a simple 2 layer Alox is as expensive as a 4-5 layer SAK? Can someone in here explain why to someone as ignorant on this subject as me o_O:)? Thanks
DN

Aluminum while an inexpensive material I suspect cost more than the plastic as well they might be attached differently and then the textured aspect is certainly an added cost. Consider that these are relatively small simple low cost knives adding that much work and a more expensive material will add a significant price increase.

Yes i do agree. I mean that is really the difference in the models is the handle material. Thanks for clearing that up.
And do they make any 3-4-5 layer models with Alox scales? I can only find the lesser models listed.

A Farmer is a 3 layer knife but I don’t think I’ve ever seen a 4 or more. Unless Swiss Bianco, or some other vendor, had Victorinox make one for them.

I saw a few postings of Alox SAK’s and said to myself “I need to see about getting one of those”. But a simple 2 layer Alox is as expensive as a 4-5 layer SAK? Can someone in here explain why to someone as ignorant on this subject as me o_O:)? Thanks
DN

For one thing, the cellidor handle scales have become so thin over the years that they are dirt cheap to produce. The last tinker I had dropped from about mid thigh hight onto the bathroom floor and had a third of the cellidor scale break off. It was tissue thin material. Very eye opening. They just snap on, and that cuts production costs. The alox scales have to have attachment with spun rivets and that requires a skilled cutler.

Another thing, the blade and tools on the alox SAK's are a bit thicker and springs a bit sturdier. It's a whole other level of ruggedness of the overall tool. Consider it like a Toyota and a Lexus. Same company, but one is a more upscale model liner a few reasons.

Once you go alox, you never ( or very rarely) go back.

Last edited:
The slow are close to traditional riveted construction compared to the snap on plastic scales.But the alox is a step up so to speak.I really like my alox electrician,became a permanent left pocket edc

As jackknife said, the tools on the Pioneer-sized Alox SAKs are of a stouter build. The tools on the smaller Alox models, like the Cadet, or like the Minichamp or Classic, are the same size/thicknesses of their same-sized cellidor equivalents. IMO, the awl on the Alox models is much better and more effective than those on the cellidor models.

My favorite Alox model is the basic Pioneer. I often carry my cellidor Spartan over it, because of the corkscrew and mini-eyeglass screwdriver, but I am fully aware that the Pioneer is more durably built. I've accidentally dropped my Pioneer onto a hard tile floor, with zero damage to the knife, other than a very, very tiny dent on the end of one of the aluminum scales. I'm pretty sure the cellidor scale(s) on my Spartan would have at least cracked.

IMO, the Alox scales aren't all that expensive, considering the advantages they provide.

Jim

Well i ordered a Alox Cadet in Red. $32 seemed a good deal. It will be my most basic SAK. Will have to look into the Pioneer, if i like the Cadet.

If you want more than three layers in Alox, you have to do it yourself.

I don't recommend it. Five springs add up to a lot of tension. It took a bench vise and an 8 inch wrench to torque the scales into place to assemble that thing.
Gonna be attempting a 7 layer champ+ once I acquire the pliers and blades I'm after. Hopefully I can make some sort of jig for my arbor press to make it work. Looks so simple when assembled. I'm sure I'm gonna find out it's much more difficult than I'm imagining.

Thats a crazy hobby you guys have. Does YouTube have a tutorial on what you are attempting? If not you should make one.
DN

As jackknife said, the tools on the Pioneer-sized Alox SAKs are of a stouter build. The tools on the smaller Alox models, like the Cadet, or like the Minichamp or Classic, are the same size/thicknesses of their same-sized cellidor equivalents. IMO, the awl on the Alox models is much better and more effective than those on the cellidor models.

My favorite Alox model is the basic Pioneer. I often carry my cellidor Spartan over it, because of the corkscrew and mini-eyeglass screwdriver, but I am fully aware that the Pioneer is more durably built. I've accidentally dropped my Pioneer onto a hard tile floor, with zero damage to the knife, other than a very, very tiny dent on the end of one of the aluminum scales. I'm pretty sure the cellidor scale(s) on my Spartan would have at least cracked.

IMO, the Alox scales aren't all that expensive, considering the advantages they provide.
I like having the tooth pick and tweezers, so usually choose cellidor models. But I have both alox and plastic. I think the alox scales look better, but I don't buy SAKs for looks. I use them. If I break one, I replace it quickly if it is a model I regularly use. Otherwise, I'll replace it when I visit a knife store and it gives me a reason to be there other than just looking. Always leave with a knife however regardless. So, my visits are limited to two or three times a year.

Thats a crazy hobby you guys have. Does YouTube have a tutorial on what you are attempting? If not you should make one.
DN

No idea if there are any videos. It's not rocket science. If you can't figure it out without a video to show you how, you should probably take up knitting instead.

Wow!,you just reminded me i gotta go to my local Yarn Barn before they close.......

Kidding of course. I can be taught almost anything and occasionally i can figure out stuff on my own. But it doesn’t take me long at all to realize somethings should be left to the experts.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Yes i will miss the toothpick and tweezers.
That's why I always carry a cellidor-handled SAK Executive that has the tweezers and toothpick. And in the other pocket, I carry either my Alox Pioneer or cellidor Spartan. There is no rule that says you can't carry more than one SAK on your person, and it's super-easy to do so if one of them is small.

Jim

That's why I always carry a cellidor-handled SAK Executive that has the tweezers and toothpick. And in the other pocket, I carry either my Alox Pioneer or cellidor Spartan. There is no rule that says you can't carry more than one SAK on your person, and it's super-easy to do so if one of them is small.
This be true. I carried a Bantam when I carried a large GEC slip joint. I wanted the tooth pick and tweezers available. But that has passed and I'm generally carrying the plastic handled Small Tinker in my watch pocket and sometimes a modern flipper as a second knife. Really don't need the modern knife at all, but I like knives.

The best way to choose a SAK is go to a store that carries quite a few models and not ones in bullet proof clam shell packaging (unless of course you know what you want). Browse. I like almost all of them frankly.

Does this mean older saks have more durable thicker material? I have a mixture of alox and whatever else victorinox uses in their red knives, a few older ones too, just curious to know.

If you want more than three layers in Alox, you have to do it yourself.

I don't recommend it. Five springs add up to a lot of tension. It took a bench vise and an 8 inch wrench to torque the scales into place to assemble that thing.

Wow. That looks like an outstanding combination of tools! In fact, as far as alox versions, that looks like perfection to me. Kudos to you, sir.
(If someone from victorinox is reading this, take note.)

Back