Why is poop brown?

That's good stuff Steve.:thumbup: A little more about e-coli, that useful little bacteria in your colon. I know that 25% of the mass of our poop is composed of e-coli. That is to say that our bowells are so full of e-coli that we can afford to crap out that much each time. We live in harmony, and are dependant on one another. No e-coli = death. E-coli helps us to digest protiens, and help regulate the water content of their environment/our colon. I didn't know they helped regulate bilirubin, and are therefore a cog in our hepatic system too. Helpful little stinkers aren't they. Its a dirty job, but hey, somebody's got to do it. I'd rather e-coli than undocumented migrant workers!:eek:

Andy

Darn it! When I saw the topic title, I thought I was going to tell about dead red blood cells, but someone beat me to it.

You can change the smell somewhat, though, if you eat a lot of stuff you can't digest. Eat a lot of oatmeal and Cheerios for a few days and you'll "sense" a difference.

aproy1101 said:
That's good stuff Steve.:thumbup: A little more about e-coli, that useful little bacteria in your colon. I know that 25% of the mass of our poop is composed of e-coli. That is to say that our bowells are so full of e-coli that we can afford to crap out that much each time. We live in harmony, and are dependant on one another. No e-coli = death. E-coli helps us to digest protiens, and help regulate the water content of their environment/our colon. I didn't know they helped regulate bilirubin, and are therefore a cog in our hepatic system too. Helpful little stinkers aren't they. Its a dirty job, but hey, somebody's got to do it. I'd rather e-coli than undocumented migrant workers!:eek:

I guess that's why we don't use human waste as fertilizer. :)

(One of those questions I've had for years but was too afraid to ask)

They sell a liquid that you can add to a ferret's water bottle that makes their poop odorless. I don't do it for several reason. 1.) It doesn't smell that bad. Way less stinky than a dog or cat's. 2.) I don't think it's healthy as it has to be doing something to the bacteria in his colon. 3.) The little Carpet Shark already thinks his $h|t don't stink.
Besides, I think it's a God given right to be able to produce something universally foul. It's the ultimate protest to an unpleasent situation. I have friends that have locked their dog in the bathroom while they go to work. The dog does not like this. I wants to be outside not in the bathroom. The dog tears up the good towels, several rolls of TP, and the bathmat. Then piles them together and leaves a big present right on top like a cherry on a sundae.
Animals can't talk, so they just plop instead. Messy, but it breaks those interspecies language boundaries nicely.

Jake

They can't stand the smell of smoky poop?

Well sort of... I was thinking that if it was an important way to track down bad guys they would be asked to smell poop on a regular basis, hence the high turnover.

I wish I hadn't mentioned "turnovers" I'm sure to think of this thread whilst eating one for dessert:barf:

BruiseLeee said:
Does smoker's poop smell like the brand of cigarettes they smoke? It is a substance the body can't use and has to be somewhat eliminated from the system. :confused:

There was a Cheech and Chong bit where they were smoking weed.

Cheech said "This is really good $hit. What kind is it?"

Chong said, "Labrador."

Cheech, "I ain't never heard of 'Labrador.'"

Chong said, "Well my dog ate my stash -- I am recycling his poop."

Cheech, "So this really is $hit!"

Well now I know why poop is brown and pee is yellow, or at least some pee. I usually drink enough liquids that you can't tell where or when I've gone, even smells different.
When you're suffering from stomach troubles and eat a lot of crackers and drink a lot of milk the resulting poop can be white.
The more meat you eat the smellier poop is generally.

Now that that has been discussed anyone know why it is tapered? ;) :p I do.:D :thumbup:

It's to keep your orfice from slamming shut.:thumbup: :D :p

You guys are weird.

Okay...my story.

Back when I was a special ed teacher, one of the sections in health was on foods and digestion. I always hit this section around St. Patty's Day. I started to always have a festival for he day...I prepared and brought in green foods. From green jello to pickles, to kiwi..and then, using green food coloring, green cookies, hot dogs (yes...use enough coloring), green beans *and* green pork and beans, green mustard, green ketchup, green onions, green milk, green cookies, green cake with green icing...all sorts of stuff.

My kids (remember...these were severe behavior handicap adolescent boys) got the biggest laughs the next day as they recalled who all on the staff shared the food.

Yes...green poop.

The lesson?

"Food" coloring isn't food...it goes in and comes right back out.

I don't want to hear any complaints for those of you who want to test this...and fair warning...don't use the red coloring.

I will say this:

This Cantina can take you into uncharted territory faster than the starship Enterprise.

Ad Astra

Next to blood red, I was thinking absolute black would be the most frightening color.

munk

Well, I do get jet black on occassion. Might be my soft drink addiction.

Red, the once or twice I've gotten it was disconcerting.

But think about a nice bright shade of purple. perhaps with corn or bubble for additional flare?

I'm wondering if there isn't some seed or pod that passes through relatively unscathed... looking kind of like the eyeballs to a small animal. Enough of those along with a strange color would really shock the maids cleaning the toilets in the dormitory of a college.. maybe a science fiction thriller.

munk

This is why I love this forum...

Corn kernals, like whole un-popped ones from popcorn I've observed.

Gum often comes through apparently unscathed, but I haven't investigated too clearly.

The thought of neon fishing worms....

Black tarry stools are very, very, scary, 'tis the sign of occult blood and you might want to see a Dr. asap!!!!

Yeah, you get the black tarry stuff along with some contrived fish eyes, and we'll have folks screaming in the hallways.
Are we collectively a little bent, those of us in conversation freely now??? Yep.

munk

Back