Why is poop brown?

Anyone who owns a dog quickly becomes a scatologist, mine, while in general exhibit brown solid poops, have been known to extrude tan & yellowish poops, and on occasion dark green poops. i note the green ones about 12hrs after i give them one of the black charcoal dog biscuits, so i 'd guess it's the color of bilirubin passing thru activated charcoal. they get lighter colored when they've eaten a high-calcium snack, like turkey necks or lamb ribs (all uncooked). fox scat around here is frequently almost white from them eating the complete prey item. poop is probably the most frequently discussed item on the doggie forum i also frequent. one lady got sparkly poop out of her greyhound when it ate a pile of leftover turkey - along with the tinfoil it was wrapped in... as a final thought, black runny poop is a sign of internal bleeding & should be referred to your doctor (or vet, if appropriate) immediately.

p.s. - i think what you eat does affect the smell, as in after a good mexican or indian meal, or a good italian meal with lotsa groovy garlic. the extra aroma is of course hard to seperate from the background stench....

You guys want interesting colors?
Get a staph infection.
Or better yet, salmonella.

Personally, mine comes out in rainbow colors like neapolitan ice cream and it smells of Liz Taylors' new fragrance, "white diamonds."

DannyinJapan said:
You guys want interesting colors?
Get a staph infection.
Or better yet, salmonella.

Personally, mine comes out in rainbow colors like neapolitan ice cream and it smells of Liz Taylors' new fragrance, "white diamonds."

And you ain't already put it in jars and sold it on E-bay? :rolleyes: :D

Sarge

...I'd forgotten about the plastic fake poo I used to put on car hoods and front porch steps...
Looked more real than that, though. That looks...like a brown soft cone...

munk

Steely_Gunz said:
They sell a liquid that you can add to a ferret's water bottle that makes their poop odorless. I don't do it for several reason. 1.) It doesn't smell that bad. Way less stinky than a dog or cat's. 2.) I don't think it's healthy as it has to be doing something to the bacteria in his colon. 3.) The little Carpet Shark already thinks his $h|t don't stink.
Animals can't talk, so they just plop instead. Messy, but it breaks those interspecies language boundaries nicely.

Jake

#1 dude!
#2 Dude!!
#3 Who me?

ferrets, truly, don't stink the way most other animals, including people do. lots of people ask me how i can stand it and i ask them "inhale the breath of your cat" - NOOOOOO. "sniff and rub your wet dog" - NOOOOOOO. "hey, go sniff your BFs BO" - DIIEEEEEEEE. so there you have it. ferrets are french perfume :) go furry snakes :)

and why is it that cats will poop/yack in your shoes or on your bed or exactly in the worst possible place on the floor ;)

bladite

here's a book for y'all to start with: The Gas We Pass"
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0916291529
and "Everyone Poops":
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0916291456
for you, or the little ones. There's more more more too, see "explore similar items"...

there's also a really good book "how to shit in the woods" - for campers and whatnot. funny, but good. the camping section at my local store has more book titles with the word "shit" in them, it's amusing - most of them are humor though "no shit, there i was", "up shit's creek", ...

and now for our dose of cute, to combat the stinkies:

http://squirrels-for-you.com/movies.cgi

bladite

We just got a puppy for Christmas, and he goes numbah 2 more than the full grown lab we've got. That puppy also loves to explore. I walked with him for about a half hour last night in the rain, every time we started to go inside, he started crying and sniffing around. Either he's super smart, or I'm extremely dumb. I finally said this is enough, picked him up, and he proceeded to fart all over me, and I got him down just in time. Put the older dog out later, all he wanted to do was see what the puppy left for him.

ive been banned for selling stolen items from Dave Hahns collection.

Good lord, first the wife now this! You'd better stay out of Canada Danny;)

Back