why is the 0566 2nd rate?

KVT is still a relatively new thing for us. Heck, the first KVT knife was released only three years ago. We will likely have a lower priced KVT knife eventually, but it hasn't been a focus for us yet. It's not that KVT drives the cost up - it's more that we have chosen to use KVT in high-end enthusiast oriented knives because enthusiasts are ones who are interested in it. By the way, enthusiast like heavy detent - Mr. Joe Public thinks it makes the knife hard to open.

Mr. Joe Public thinks it makes the knife hard to open.

And we love all you Joe Six-Packs out there!

alg-fast-sarah-palin-jpg.jpg

Very interesting discussion going on here, guys. I really need to get back to work!

Well I think that is only because bearings in production knives is relatively in its infancy stages. Knife nuts know about them but many general users probably dont. I think now with more makers making bearing flippers and them getting closer to perfecting the system (optimal detents, larger lower friction detent balls, etc.) you will see bearing knives being more popular than assisted knives especially in flippers. The better they make flippers with bearings the less I see a need for a torsion bar or a spring. Heck, when the guy who invented speedsafe seems to prefer bearings over the opening system he actually invented these days I think is a testament to the potential popularity of bearings. I think it simply needs some promotion and explanation for those who otherwise would still view assisted opening knives superior to get them to convert.

The CRKT Ripple is a very inexpensive bearing knife. Well, there are a couple of versions of it but the cheaper one still uses the same bearing system. The only problem is that the bearings are loose, so disassembly can be challenging.

I would imagine that KVT is significantly cheaper than IKBS to implement since matching races don't have to be machined into the blade tang and handle scales.

I really really hate the title of this thread and it bothers me every time I see it. I don't mind a good discussion but I do mind one that starts off with an insult. Anyway we can change the thread title?

The CRKT Ripple is a very inexpensive bearing knife. Well, there are a couple of versions of it but the cheaper one still uses the same bearing system. The only problem is that the bearings are loose, so disassembly can be challenging.

Yes I actually own quite a few of the CRKT knives with IKBS. The new ones they have actually started using bearings in a brass washer very similar to those benchmade uses in its Marlow balisong knife. They still kept the IKBS name though. Its also interesting as many of their Brian Tighe designed knives have a bearing system that from what I understand is identical yet they dont call it IKBS. Being the tinkerer I am I keep a good supply of IKBS bearings just in case I lose a few.

I would imagine that KVT is significantly cheaper than IKBS to implement since matching races don't have to be machined into the blade tang and handle scales.

. KVT while having bearings set into washers still requires that they be recessed into the blade and handle so they can fit. They use thicker bearings that IKBS and require more space. It is not a small race like on the IKBS knives but they are still recessed and require that race to be machined out. If they were to put the washers in a knife without doing so you would need 1" thick standoffs. I would say the systems are probably on par with each other as far as workload is concerned.

Last edited:
I think it's much easier to machine a disc shaped recess into a sheet of metal rather than a toroidal groove, both in the machinery required and the tolerances that need to be achieved.

I really really hate the title of this thread and it bothers me every time I see it. I don't mind a good discussion but I do mind one that starts off with an insult. Anyway we can change the thread title?
I can't figure out how to change the thread title, but if I could I would change "class" to "rate".

Back