Why no 4-way clip on Spyderco Military?

Every locking folder I carry is 4in or close to 4in. I carry all of them tip up, clumsy? Not even close, I'm a foward waver and can deploy the 4in blade faster and more reliable than tip down any day of the week.

I must confess I really hate clips in general. I have never met one that wasn't uncomfortable. Also I don't want to show any of the knife in public. Still I understand the need for a clip. I might try to fit a shorter clip if I find one.

All great info given. To sum it up, the military is purpose built. It built well, large and light. Its not meant to fill the role of a do all, be all pocket knife. Every aspect of its design has made it what it is. To keep the knife light, full liners were sacrificed, which then sacrificed tip up carry. It is what it is. The answer is choose a different knife. Me personally, i love the military.

I'm a foward waver and can deploy the 4in blade faster and more reliable than tip down any day of the week.

I like waved knives myself. My Emerson is fun to carry and use. That said my Military is my all time favorite knife. It is in my right front pocket as I type this.

I don't carry it for fast deployment, I just use it for my everyday needs. And for that use I find it perfect as is.

If I really, really need fast deployment I have a fixed karambit IWB just to the left of my belt buckle.

It's even faster than my Mini CQC 15. Not a slight on your 4" waved folders, your mods are pretty good. Just that many of us like the Military as Sal designed it.

If Spyderco ever comes out with a 4 way Military 2 I hope they keep the current Military in production as well. Unlike the Police. I'm glad I still have a tip down right hand only one of those, we'll sort of...since my wife calls it hers :)

No biggie, different strokes for different folks. I was simply saying tip up carry wasn't clumsy as another member said it was. Not even close to clumsy. I suppose, if he's clumsy with tip up that's one thing, but making a blanket statement that it's slower and clumsy for everyone is preposterous.

Check out charlie Mikes vids of him waving his Darrel Ralph out of pocket. Clumsy? That's funny.

^Exactly that.
I wasn't making the argument tip up is superior to tip down and that the military was designed wrong. I was just saying it's always better to have more options, people prefer different things. Hell, in my first post in this thread I specifically said that I'd like to see them introduce a Military 2 with multiple carry options. That would keep the original for the people that prefer the tip down lighter option and introduce a whole new knife for those of us that want something different.

Every locking folder I carry is 4in or close to 4in. I carry all of them tip up, clumsy? Not even close, I'm a foward waver and can deploy the 4in blade faster and more reliable than tip down any day of the week.

Say yes to forward wavers! Slowly we will take over the universe! Forward waving changed my life.

Yea, I agreed a military with a 4 position clip would separate me from my money.

As to forward waving, welcome to the club. I never liked waving backward, the lack of a reversible pocket clip is a pain.

Depending on the knife, I really don't like to see all the various holes on the covers/scales. It can look pretty ugly. What I have gotten accustomed to doing is however the clip is installed on the knife, that is how I carry it.

I just slapped a NiteIze hip clip on my Millie and it carries just fine tip up and I can deploy it just as fast as any of my other knives. And before anyone asks, no, the clip isn't uncomfortable to grip.

Looks like this has been answered thoroughly already. Another thing worth mentioning is that the Military has been out since like 1995, and probably started the design process a couple years before that. Clip options were not as commonplace as today.

The Military is revered so much by their owners that Sal has obliged that when a "2" is made (which is already planned), the original will remain in production as is.

Too large for my urban purposes unfortunately. Love the quality of its liner lock. Would love a smaller version (liner lock Para2).

Depending on the knife, I really don't like to see all the various holes on the covers/scales. It can look pretty ugly. What I have gotten accustomed to doing is however the clip is installed on the knife, that is how I carry it.

That's my approach as well. I don't like holes everywhere. If I don't like the carry options I just don't buy it.

What I have gotten accustomed to doing is however the clip is installed on the knife, that is how I carry it.
Well said. I've never changed a knives carry position, nor gave a damn enough to let it deter me from using it. I care about how a knife feels in hand, and how it performs. Not how it gets stored in my pocket when I'm not using it.

No biggie, different strokes for different folks. I was simply saying tip up carry wasn't clumsy as another member said it was. Not even close to clumsy. I suppose, if he's clumsy with tip up that's one thing, but making a blanket statement that it's slower and clumsy for everyone is preposterous.

Check out charlie Mikes vids of him waving his Darrel Ralph out of pocket. Clumsy? That's funny.

Since I don't use my military to stab people. I'd say forward waving is clumsy. Forward waving a knife doesn't really put it in a position to cut things. If the purpose really is an easy opening method to do work related cutting stuff, forward waving really is a waste of time.

Since I don't use my military to stab people. I'd say forward waving is clumsy. Forward waving a knife doesn't really put it in a position to cut things. If the purpose really is an easy opening method to do work related cutting stuff, forward waving really is a waste of time.
Forward waving is an option. The knife can be drawn without waving at all. And if speed is no issue than removing the knife casually to cut something still isn't clumsy. Shrug.

Well said. I've never changed a knives carry position, nor gave a damn enough to let it deter me from using it. I care about how a knife feels in hand, and how it performs. Not how it gets stored in my pocket when I'm not using it.
I like teh cut of your jib, Jackal. You are on the same page as me when it comes to clips. I can also add that the Military has a damn find pocket clip. I've never even come close to bending it. I would not be happy if they started using deep carry clips. I really dislike the deep carry clip on most knives, there is one exception.

Forward waving is an option. The knife can be drawn without waving at all. And if speed is no issue than removing the knife casually to cut something still isn't clumsy. Shrug.

Yep, and so we're back to opening a longer folder in tip up position to where fewer steps or manipulation is needed to have it open and ready in your hand.

many of us consider knives with quite long handles, like the Millie, to be optimized for tip down deployment. Tip up is extremely cumbersome and awkward on the draw unless you have gorilla like fingers. I personally have long fingers, for a human, and have experimented quite a bit and it just isn't a good draw.

This.

That's your opinion, other people have different opinions. I disagree.

Yea, I agreed a military with a 4 position clip would separate me from my money.

As to forward waving, welcome to the club. I never liked waving backward, the lack of a reversible pocket clip is a pain.

I'm lucky that I'm left handed so I can forward wave all my Emersons without modification.

Back