Why the dislike for D2 bushcraft knives? (Also: Enzo Trapper project/review pg.2)

Well I've been looking around for a full tang 4" blade scandi for awhile now (for a bushcraft and general purpose knife). I eventually decided on a scandi-ground Enzo Trapper blank, which had the exact sort of profile, geometry and thickness I was looking for whilst being in my price range and giving me the option to set it up as I want (I'll be adding cocobolo scales and making a left-handed sheath).

So the knife was offered in O1 or D2 - I decided to go with the latter. Doing some reading though, I find that a lot of people seem to dislike D2 for bushcraft knives, citing micro-chipping, difficult sharpening and the lack of necessity for the semi-stainless properties amongst some of the reasons. I might be completely off base as I've never owned a knife in D2 until now, but I'd really like to revisit this topic and get some fresh input.

To me, I don't see how D2 hardened to 60-61 HRC could be so brittle as to produce microchipping from your typical bushcraft tasks (unless the heat treat was poorly done). Now I could see it perhaps happening if you're cutting inorganic substances or batoning through hard, knotty wood... but the former I don't see myself doing much and the latter I tend to avoid anyways with this small a blade - firstly, because it's not long or thick enough to be worth the effort and secondly because carrying this small a blade lets me justify carry an axe (either a 10" Wetterlings or a Gransfors Bruks SFA depending on the situation).

As for the difficulty in sharpening, that obviously goes hand in hand with a harder, more wear-resistant edge. And I think this is a perfectly fine trade-off. I'd much rather sharpen an edge less often and have it last longer, even if that means a couple more minutes on the stones.

Lastly, I think that stain resistance is a VERY overlooked issue when it comes to picking out a general purpose/bushcraft knife. Mostly because when people talk about it, they're mostly concerned about rust and staining. However, that's not really the big issue - the real problem is micro-oxidization destroying your edge. The majority of my knives are 1095, 0170-6 / 50100-B, or 5160 and whilst I can work wood with them for hours and still have a shaving edge afterward, 15 minutes worth of food prep (slicing tomatoes and such) and they completely lose their ability to shave hair (wooden cutting board by the way, just so we get that clear). Of course I understand that stainless steel knives (unless we're talking ones made of more expensive steels like 154CM and up) generally aren't fit for survival/bushcraft knives, I see no reason to not factor in this level of performance degradation when picking out what type steel to go with. While not technically stainless, I think D2's 12% Chromium content would go a lot further to helping with oxidization resistance than the 0-1% found in most other carbon steels.

All that said, I think I'll cut myself off there and open the topic up for discussion. I feel like speaking too much on the topic without having any previous experience with D2 knives is a tad presumptuous. I'd love to hear other people's thoughts and give myself time to revisit this later after I assemble this knife and get some usage out of it :thumbup:

Last edited:
I think the chipping issue is more likely to present itself on a large chopper than on a 4 inch bushy. So it really boils down to sharpening ease I suppose. I do personally prefer something that can be touched up easily rather than long wearing but that is just something I`ve conditioned myself to. I know Brian Andrews really likes using D2, but he mostly gets requests for O1. I just might try D2 out one of these days!

I had a Ka-Bar Spear point knife in D2 and it was a great blade. I once dropped it about 10ft down some rocks and ran to collect it expecting the worst only to find the only damage was a scuff to the coating !!!!!

I gave it away on this forum and the guy never even posted a thank you !!!!!

If D2 is chipping, it's likely due to edge geometry. Many (most) bushcraft knives
have scandi grinds...for which D2 isn't the best choice. O-1 or 3V would be
better.

I have had a few knives in D2 and have had no problems. I have had microchipping happen on allot of Scandi's in all different types of steel. I think it has more to do with the edge being too thin rather than the steel choice. Once I shapened out the microchipping I never had the problem again.
I think people gave D2 a bad rap after a few Ontarios chipped out do to heat treat, I wouldn't let that push me away. I like to form my own oppinion...

Congrats on the Enzo, it is a great little cutter!

good heat treat is the key - without it, no steel will perform particularly well.
D2 is great steel, especially if it's got some meat behind the edge.
takes and holds a good edge, not as prone to rust as other high carbon steels, etc...
use and enjoy!

on the really large blades i would'nt trust any except carbon & 3v. my ferhmans are 3v & have been batoned to hell--no chips or edge rolling. however 3v is expensive.
dennis p.s.--wringing out a siegle chopper now & will report after enough testing has been done, the siegle is 5160.

I don't like D2 for large blades, but on anything small I wouldn't worry as much about it. I've had chips happen when cutting wood and slipping and hitting a base-board harder then I would have liked though.

.....I find that a lot of people seem to dislike D2 for bushcraft knives,.....

I have complained of having to polish the bevels of a couple THICK (ridiculuously thick for a BC knife) D2 Scandis, but other than that, I'll take it. I won't turn my nose up at 01, A2, 1095, D2,.... if I like the knife. But D2s wear resistance makes it a boogger to remove material enough to finish the maker's final grind lines down to a polish.

Personally, with the right geometry, I LOVE it. I believe my first D2 blade was an Enzo trapper (not a "Scandi" in the fact that it did not have a 12 degree inclusive bevel - about the minimum for the edge to stand up in my experience) and it sold me on D2. I keep the edge fine and polished (not toothy) and have developed a preference for it over any other steel. If I am going to have to sharpen a Scandi, I don't want something THAT wear resistant. A flat grind with an acute secondary edge.....:thumbup::thumbup:

Carried my Spydie D2 and worked cutting wood in the rain. When I got home at the end of the day rust spots had already formed on the blade.

Thanks for the great responses guys!

I was planning on waiting until I got my cocobolo slabs and had assembled the knife before sharpening the blade to a polish, but I might just give it a go right now to find out how difficult it actually is to remove material. All this talk is making me rather curious...

I have a somewhat related question for you guys: Why isn't corrosion resistance as high of a priority for your bushcraft knives? The majority of ones I've seen tend to be made out of 01 or 1095 and from my experience with these steels, any food prep of acidic vegetables/fruits causes enough micro-oxidization that the blade loses it's shaving edge. And because the edge is essentially eaten away rather than just being rolled, stropping doesn't bring it back.

Whenever I go camping, my bushcraft knife IS my food prep knife so I find at least some corrosion resistance handy. Is this not the case for you guys?

Whenever I go camping, my bushcraft knife IS my food prep knife so I find at least some corrosion resistance handy. Is this not the case for you guys?

I'm the same way, which is one of the reasons I like H1. It can downpour and it won't matter, the blade can get as soaked as it wants. Easy to touch up and tough enough for anything I'd use a small knife for too.

That being said I've used a couple of heavily reprofiled D2 and CPMD2 folders in the woods for everything short of batoning (Even some light chopping) with no issues. I like the steel a lot. Once you've got a thin bevel set, it doesn't take terribly long to sharpen, and it gets very sharp.

No D2 dislike from me. I purchased an amazing Bob Dozier knife (Yukon Pro Skinner) more than a dozen years ago through A.G. Russell. This knife does everything I ask of it and more. It is on my belt whenever I go hiking, camping, or hunting. It spends somewhere around 60 days in the field every year, and sees some hard use. It has never let me down, or made me wish for another knife in some other steel.

I use my knives for cutting and slicing tasks, not for chopping and prying. Never had the need to chop while camping (most longer limbs can be broken into small chunks more safely rather than chopping). For larger stuff I carry a folding pack saw.

Anyway, I love D2...esp. the way Bob Dozier heat treats it. Get some. Use it. You'll come to love it, too.

AJ

I second Bob Dozier knives. Great value and practical design in a small package.

I have a somewhat related question for you guys: Why isn't corrosion resistance as high of a priority for your bushcraft knives? The majority of ones I've seen tend to be made out of 01 or 1095 and from my experience with these steels, any food prep of acidic vegetables/fruits causes enough micro-oxidization that the blade loses it's shaving edge. And because the edge is essentially eaten away rather than just being rolled, stropping doesn't bring it back.

I have a few D2 blades...one has been my hunting knife for several years; a Dozier Yukon Skinner. It's actually hollow ground and a very thin edge. I've glanced off bone a few times and it's held up great. A couple of years ago, I finally received my Charlie May Skifa-Scandi in D2...after a little wood work, I had visible chips. I contacted Charlie but first wanted to try and sharpen out the chips...so far, it's okay, but I was really suspect with D2 for a while. I really think the micro burr wasn't removed and it might have been heated a little too high in the final sharpening right along edge.:confused:

As to corrosion resistance, well I just haven't seen any issues with higher carbon steels during use. Most bushcraft knives are used often and cared for more often. My hunting knives actually don't get as much attention or love. My EDC fixed blade is an O1 alloy and it will go unused for extended periods, but even that will only get tarnished spots and the edge maintains its bite. I would be more interested in some focused tests on how much damage acidic foods really cause to the edge. I'm sure if the blades are not cleaned soon after, the patina could dull the edge...

Honestly, if you use, maintain and sharpen your knife on a routine basis, I don't think you have to worry much about it much...

ROCK6

I have a Dozier Wilderness in D2, and have not experienced any problems with it. But Dozier is well known for having a thorough understanding of D2. D2 was one of the "hot" steels in the custom world 25-30 years ago. The D2 I have used over the years has been a bear to sharpen.

i also have a Dozier Wilderness and no issues. Doizer makes a Bushcraft knife and I havent heard and bad reports about it.

As for the difficulty in sharpening, that obviously goes hand in hand with a harder, more wear-resistant edge. And I think this is a perfectly fine trade-off. I'd much rather sharpen an edge less often and have it last longer, even if that means a couple more minutes on the stones.

I love D2 and have it in several patterns such as tactical folder (Benchmade 710), traditional folders (Queen slippies) and fixed blade (RAT TAK). The one pattern I wouldn't prefer it in is a Scandi-ground bushcraft knife.

Trying to knock back that full scandi grind would take more than an extra few minutes... and I'm talking about at home with the right tools. In the field; forget it! :eek:

D2 was the blade steel that inspired me to buy my first diamond sharpening tools.

Stay sharp,
desmobob

Back