Wish me luck......

Ken!

I'll definetely be praying for you, but atleast TRY not to worry too badly. You WILL be OK.

Best wishes, Ken. I have a high degree of confidence that you will come out of it fine. Don't be pissed off that you put a lot of effort into better fitness and now you have to endure this. Look at it this way: You would probably have had to endure this anyway, now you are going into it with a higher degree of fitness and a better overall prognosis. :thumbup:

Good luck, Ken! Smoke and prayers from Utah headed your way.

Walter

Smoke sent, may you find peace and strength from within. Ken they can do alot for the heart these days, things will go in your favor.

Ken: I have had three of these things in the last 13 years.
Now I will tell you what is by far the worst part of having them.

The dye they used must be removed from your kidneys within two hours to avoid kidney damage. When they wheel you back from the procedure they will lay you on your back, place a 10 pound sand bag over the insertion incision, and tell you that you must not move your leg (usually the right one) for four hours, and your head cannot be elevated above a certain level. So far, no big deal. Then they will hand you a pee bottle and tell you that you must urinate within two hours or they will have to insert a catheter.

That's right. Having to urinate in the postion most unconducive to being able to do so is the worst thing you will face. The procedure itself is duck soup compared to that.

I told the attendants that after three of these I had been sandbagged more than a Mississippi Delta farmhouse. They said that they thought they had heard all of the wisecracks but that was a new one. Feel free to use it.:D

Also, a cardiologist on another thread where the 1 chance in 100 was mentioned said that it was more like 1 chance in 700.

I have "asbestosis of the lungs", courtesy of my time in the Navy as a "BT". Anyway.............long story short, it affects my heart as well. I had the exact same procedure in Aug. and the worst part of it is lying immobile after it's over for the required 6 hours. I had the same feeling of doom & facing my possible death. As it turned out, that was a good thing. Gave me some insight as to how that really feels, and made my faith stronger than it was before. Also, made me appreciate more the things in life that are REALLY important. Try to approach it as just another trial of life, and look forward to "when it's over". A little fear & stress is normal, but too much will only complicate the issue. Best of luck, and may the Good Lord bless you.

prayers from n.y. sent . we will be waiting to hear from you. i am sure you will be fine just listen to your doctor buddy

Sad to hear about your health problems Ken!!!
You and your loved ones are in my thoughts and prayers!!!
God Bless!!!

I had my pre-admission testing done today after I got off duty from a surprisingly easy shift on the ambulance. EKG, bloodwork, paperwork....the usual. Except I almost went ballistic when a newbie phlebotomist stuck me 4 times trying to get a vein. I hate needles (I would be a terrible heroin addict) and I ask her to please hit the left arm vein. It's a geyser and I can pop that sucker out real good when I make a fist. My right arm is not good for drawing blood. She ignored me and stuck me anyway. Call me Pincushion Ken!!! She's lucky I didn't smack her. I requested someone else to do it and within 30 seconds they had what they needed from me. When I went back to see the doc she knew by the look on my face that I was not happy.

Anyway, thanks for the well wishes. Your experiences have put me at ease (somewhat). For my recovery my wife will be on standby with my iPod. I figure if I'm going to be lying there for a few hours I might as well listen to my Fire Lt. study guides I loaded onto it.

Seems to me if you get good and mad at the idiot trying to draw blood from you, that ought to raise your blood pressure enough so when she finally does find the vein it'll spray all over her.... :mad:

For my recovery my wife will be on standby with my iPod. I figure if I'm going to be lying there for a few hours I might as well listen to my Fire Lt. study guides I loaded onto it.

Way to go! Looking ahead instead of complaining about the aggravation! :D

If you want I will hold your hand, buddy :thumbup::D

Just now reading this, Ken. Sorry to hear this, bud. I'm throwing out smoke and prayers for ya.

I'll be waiting for the update Monday, Ken.

Ken,
One of the first things you do as a fireman/EMT is gather infromation and assess the situation. You do that under emergency conditions. Monday your Doc is gathering information so an assement of your situation can be made.....difference is Doc is doing that under extremely controlled conditions. It is OK to be a bit nervous about the procedure, I have been when I was a patient. But knowing what's going on should take you a long way toward not being concerned.
NOW about that blood draw....did you know you can get so worked up after the first miss, let alone 2nd or 3rd that it can become very challenging to the blood drawer, let alone the "drawee".Did he/she have to tell you to breath?
Best wishes for the test and the results of that test!

If you can reach up that high, sure. ;):D

OK, LaBella support team coming in for a landing *imagine a midget running and trying to get up onto a bed*

There are your happy thoughts:D :thumbup:

Back