Wood Craft/Utility Field knife Contest

Great makers in on this, I can't wait to see what you come up with :thumbup:

I should have it done at the latest next wednesday.... Not this coming but next. I am planning for it to have a different feature on the handles, and it does have a "bush craft" point to it as well. Most of my knives sport a mid to high point, this one is considerably lower for making fireboards and what not.

I showed one of my buddies the design and he simply said " looks like all the rest of your knives" At first it made me mad, because I am really tryin to think outside the box on this one. But then I realized, well yeah it's gonna look like my others......... I made the damn thing:D

I'll post pics when it's done.

Nick:)

This is the one I was thinking of submitting for the wilderness knife challenge. The pic really sucks I took it with my phone. I ground it this morning, and was thinking about leaving it with the verticle lines rather than my normal hand rubbed finish.

Let me know if anyone has any suggestions.

Photo051.jpg

It has a 9 3/8" OAL with a 4 3/8" edge. I also am thinking of not putting any sort of choil on it as pictured. The blade width is 1.22"

Please don't be shy about tearing it up if needed..

That looks great. I think you should leave the edge as is, coming all the way back to the handle. That definitely has a bushcraft look to it, and I really like the way the point is centered. Are you gonna do Micarta or wood scales?

Thanks T. I was thinking Micarta.... Natural Canvas over Black Paper.. You got any ideas as for woods?

The black & tan scales will look sweet on there I think. I really like this design a lot.

I think I'm gonna shorten up the guard area a little and make sure there is no sharp corners there.

So how do you feel about the grind? Would you buy a knife from me with that type of finish?

I'm thinking when the full time deal happens I will have little choice other than utilize this type of grind to save time.

Nick

LOOKS VERY NICE NICK SS PINS TOO YOU GOT IT :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: DON B.

Yeah I definitely would. I like your other finish too but I also let my knives patina so it will look the same after some use anyway. And that blade shape is almost exactly the same as the sketch I sent, just a little shorter and a different handle style. I really like it.

So how do you feel about the grind? Would you buy a knife from me with that type of finish?

I'm thinking when the full time deal happens I will have little choice other than utilize this type of grind to save time.

Finish looks okay from the pic, but the pic is limited. I don't think you should change your finish, which is excellent. I can understand the need to be more efficient, but I don't think you should change your basic design philosophy and vision. Perhaps you could offer two different finishes, and charge accordingly. Just a thought.

Contest knife prototype looks good. :thumbup:

That was exactly what I was thinking Jack. As much as I want to make em with the belt finish, I just like the hand rubbed so much better. The belt finish is indeed a time saver and it looks really nice too. As far as price goes, it would probably lower the price by $40.00 on a knife this size.

I'll probably end up sanding this one out by hand for the challenge and make another with the belt finish that I will either sell or keep and use this deer season.

Maybe you could have the belt finish & hand rubbed as options and have them priced accordingly. I have seen lots of makers that offer more than one finish.

Nick,

I think you made the right call hand sanding the contest knife. These (contest) knives get alot of press and the high end finish along with things like the layered micarta handles show potential customers what you're capable of.

Sweet looking knife by the way!

Brandon

Nick......

Great new knife design and I'm happy to see that you didn't go with a scandi grind.....the full flat is much more practical as an all around field utility knife.
As far as the guard area...hey it's one of your trademarks,can't shorten it to much..plus when wearing gloves the guard should be a bit larger just for comfort....but I'm sure you've look at your brethren knifemakers bushcraft style to compare more or less guard area...I'm just a fan of a larger area like on your other knives.

Back