Wood Craft/Utility Field knife Contest

Been, offline for a few days, I see we have a pic now :D :thumbup:

It looks great:thumbup: Sounds like the perfect size, I like the centered point for better drilling, and I like the good length of flat edge before the belly. Standard 3/16"? And the lack of choil definitely gives it that bushcrafter look. The palm swell handle is good too, I think that'll offer a more universal fit for hands and perhaps more versatility in grips (though I don't have much trouble with my Scout handle). The guard looks fine to me, but it's definitely a good idea to eliminate any sharp corners.

I'm looking forward to the canvas over black micarta :)

[...]Perhaps you could offer two different finishes, and charge accordingly. Just a thought.[...]

This was my thought too (and T's as well) :thumbup: I think you could satisfy more customers that way. But I think sanding for the challenge is the right way to go, since that IS what you normally do.

As for the whole, "it looks like all your other knives" thing, you're absolutely right: It should because you made it. What Rotte pointed out applies here too; I don't think you should change your design philosophy at all for this challenge. Hell, I think most of your existing models (excluding really specialized designs like the skinners etc) would do the job well. Little tweaks like the blade shape and spear point are fine, but ultimately, it'll be a NWA blade :)

Here is the finished product. I am still a little uncertain if this is the right one:eek: I still have time to make a different one but I thought I'd try and get some feedback from you guys.

IMG_3420.jpg

IMG_3421-1.jpg

So done be bashfull. If there is sumpin that needs changed let me know. I know it's hard to tell from a pic. But I'd like to hear the good bad and the ugly.

Thanks
Nick:)

Man Nick, that came out awesome :thumbup: To me it looks like the perfect interpretation of a bushcraft/woods knife, I wouldn't change a thing. Shoot I'd buy one if I didn't already have that custom coming from you. (who am I kidding, I'll probably pick one of these up down the road too :D) The dual colored scales really look great too. It looks almost too pretty to use!

I think I'm gonna shorten up the guard area a little and make sure there is no sharp corners there.

So how do you feel about the grind? Would you buy a knife from me with that type of finish?

I'm thinking when the full time deal happens I will have little choice other than utilize this type of grind to save time.

Nick

Looks great! I'd buy one!

Oh Man that looks GOOD!!! The handle shape and size looks like it would be super comfortable in any position!!!

Keep doin' what you're doin' Nick....it's working!!!

I can't see a thing wrong with it :thumbup: I think scallops are a good call on this one too. I'm looking forward to seeing how it works out for people in the challenge!

I made the pic the background on my phone. Probably a bad idea because every time I look at it I want one even more :D I just love everything about this knife and I'm jealous that Tony and the guys get to play with it first :grumpy: ;)

You got a name and pricetag for that beauty yet?In the words of Will Smith "I gots to get me one of these!"

That model is gonna go for $225.00 without the firesteel. If you want the test model with the firesteel as seen in the wilderness section. I will let you have it for $200.00 as it is used. I will have them send it to me first for inspection and a sharpening before I would send it to you though:)

Thanks and let me know
Nick:)

Wow Nick, that's a beauty - Ilove the thick liners on the handle scales!!! Very nicely done as always...

blake

Yep...looks like Nick may have entered one of the TOP contenders!!! It's very possible the Mantis may have scored well enough in all categories to take the win. If so, it will be one heck of a victory as there were some phenominal blades submitted by some VERY talented makers!!!! I tell ya what...I'm glad I didn't have to come up with the scores!!! I'm really enjoying the reviews and videos!!!

Great Job on a super clean and well thought out blade Nick!!!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Stump

ps...can I have it?:D (ETA: Looks like Doc beat me to it. Oh well, can't get 'em all....and Doc's probably packin'!!!);)

Last edited:
I sure hope Nick makes it back to knifemaking as I really want one of those! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Thanks guys:) I will be up and runnin very soon:) I have that knife back now and I gotta pay Tony for the shipping. I just got internet turned on at my house so I can post more now too:) I'm still not out of the woods but things are looking better for me.

Thanks for keeping this forum alive!

Nick

Back