Recommendation? working in France - belt grinder

I plan to goto France for 3 months and work on a limited basis.
the primary thing I need is my belt grinder....the rest of the tools I can manage.

My Hardcore grinder can be setup for foreign electricity etc.
I suspect putting it in a Pelikan case and oversized heavy baggage with my flight is going to cost me $300 one way. I could get a cargo freight quote separately.

I could buy a new grinder there like a Claryx but that's going to be $2500+ I think

hoping that someone can offer a suggestion or idea to help me think this thru differently, what would you do if you wanted to work on knives somewhere else for 3 months?
From a long term perspective, I hope/plan to move to France next year,

thanks
Harbeer

the primary thing I need is my belt grinder....the rest of the tools I can manage.

I suspect putting it in a Pelikan case and oversized heavy baggage with my flight is going to cost me $300 one way. I could get a cargo freight quote separately.

I could buy a new grinder there like a Claryx but that's going to be $2500+ I think

hoping that someone can offer a suggestion or idea to help me think this thru differently, what would you do if you wanted to work on knives somewhere else for 3 months?

thanks
Harbeer
Do you know any makers in France that you could share equipment with? Seems pricey any way you go for just three months.

thanks
Harbeer
I have enjoyed visiting France, pre-pandemic.
In normal circumstances I would say that there would be enough to see and do in 3 months without trying to make knives.
I'm surprised that you think you need few tools.
You should make a knife start to finish and note anything that you use, and then imagine not having it...
What part of France will you be in?

Do you know any makers in France that you could share equipment with? Seems pricey any way you go for just three months.
that's an interesting idea and thank you for this thought.
However in thinking about it, it's not that convenient for me and I'm at the mercy of the the other maker's schedule...
I prefer to have my own freedom in my work schedule

It will be expensive, but it will be more expensive if I don't produce anything for 3 months.

I have enjoyed visiting France, pre-pandemic.
In normal circumstances I would say that there would be enough to see and do in 3 months without trying to make knives.
I'm surprised that you think you need few tools.
You should make a knife start to finish and note anything that you use, and then imagine not having it...
What part of France will you be in?
I'm a fulltime maker for 2 1/2 yrs, it's my sole source of income, I make and sell about 15 knives per month.
I'm well aware of what tools I need etc. I plan to take forged and heat treated blanks etc.
I figure I can get by making 5 knives a month instead of the normal 12-15 I'm making now.

My g/f is French, I will be at her house near Valmondois, about 35 mins NW of Paris. I haven't seen her since March 15... so I'm not going for tourism sightseeing.
I've been traveling to France a couple times per year for the last 2 years.

Last edited:

thanks
Harbeer
If you plan to move to France next year ,pay the price for baggage .But leave that grinder there ....so when you get back in USA buy new grinder .............and of course take that grinder in France to when you move :)

If you plan to move to France next year ,pay the price for baggage .But leave that grinder there ....so when you get back in USA buy new grinder .............and of course take that grinder in France to when you move :)
that's a good possible solution...
actually I have 2 belt grinders, I also have a Burr King 1272 (super heavy) as well as a KMG horizontal and 9" flat disc

I'm a fulltime maker for 2 1/2 yrs, it's my sole source of income, I make and sell about 15 knives per month.
I'm well aware of what tools I need etc. I plan to take forged and heat treated blanks etc.
I figure I can get by making 5 knives a month instead of the normal 12-15 I'm making now.

My g/f is French, (If you know the movie Cyrano de Bergerac....) I will be at her house near Valmondois, about 35 mins NW of Paris. I haven't seen her since March 15... so I'm not going for tourism sightseeing.
I've been traveling to France a couple times per year for the last 2 years.
Well good luck. Hopefully the market there can support you as well or better...

How about a disc grinder? And an angle grinder with a snag wheel and flap wheels. Maybe some stone drums and paper sleeve drums you can attach to any drill.

I would not carry knife blanks or tools through customs. They will assume you intend to work there and they can bar you from entry.

Best case, the baggage handlers destroy/steal it all .

Ship it all there ahead of time, fedex or whatever carrier you like.

I would not carry knife blanks or tools through customs. They will assume you intend to work there and they can bar you from entry.

Best case, the baggage handlers destroy/steal it all .

Ship it all there ahead of time, fedex or whatever carrier you like.

but he said he is intending to work there, I thought that was why he was wanting to bring the grinder?

You could check out www. beltgrinders. pl and also have a look at the owner's Facebook page. Looks serious and solid and way cheaper than Claryx. He also recently made a bunch of grinders for Trollsky's knife making academy or something.
That said, I did have communication problems with him at a point when I was trying to do business there. I don't know what happened.
Since you are full time, you may want to look into a 380/400 V 3 phase option that draws less amps than the 230 V?
To bulk buy belts I use Score Schelifwerkzeuge in Germany for Klingspor (just double check everything is in stock, send them an email), Truhlarime.cz for 3M and VSM and www.carls.nu for the excellent Bora-7 belt. I haven't found better prices yet, and my Google skills are excellent.

Also, when/if setting up a permanent shop, you can check out this auction place for industrial grade machines drill presses surface grinders mills etc:

https://www.troostwijkauctions.com

Welcome to Europe!

Last edited:

thanks
Harbeer
Harbeer, sounds like a great time. Ship your Hardcore Grinder there .................... You’ll have a know machine and can grind out your blades with the same speed & finesse instead of buying another brand machine and getting use to the differences .. I will be selling my Hardcore Grinder with the disk attachment & small wheel so if you are interested in another that’s set up for flat grinding... Give me a call or PM. Best of luck to you in France. My wife speaks fluent French. Me? A cheese or two & swear word or two is about it..:)

Harbeer,
With the current situations and rules in France I would suggest a good and honest talk with someone at the French embassy before you do any packing of shipping. Since paperwork takes time, you should do that soon.

thanks for the replies and suggestions, all good stuff
appreciate it, I'll be able to formulate some plan

Back