Recommendation? working in France - belt grinder

JTknives

Blade Heat Treating www.jarodtodd.com
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
If he has a freak drive on it then that most likely would not be an issue.

Hengelo_77

Basic Member
Building it together needing an extra screw or needing to replace one, forgetting you allan keys and not being able to get the right size etc.
The rest of the world uses the metric system, you'll run in to problems.

If it is for three months only I'd make and ship the blanks in advance and get a not to expensive grinder to do handle work only.
If you do emigrate permanently you can always set it up as a buffer or extra grinder.
Don't ship handle material over, order it in Europe and have it shipped to you GF's place.
Using an American made machine in Europe brings problems.

Electricity frequency being 50Hz rather than 60Hz? Says grinder can be set up for French Electricity....not sure if that is possible for frequency or only voltage. We burned out our dual voltage vacuum cleaner due to the difference in frequency after we moved.

It's a Hardcore grinder, their grinders are used worldwide. They use an integral Baldor/VFD...I called them and they said there are 2 switches or jumpers to move for use in Europe. I was going take the grinder to them and let them show me.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEP5etmjV8P/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Thought I would follow up with you guys and close this out. I’m here near Paris for the last week and prior to that I was in London for 6 days.

so today I executed an order for a lions process grinder which is made in France.
This Grinder is used by several French makers and I believe Sam lurquin is one of them and possibly Raphael Durand

I found out the French word for a belt grinder is “backstand”

I looked at several options including Grinders from Portugal, Bulgaria and Poland, as well as bringing in from the US

you can see lions process on Instagram and Facebook. I’m getting with a flat platen and 8 inch contact wheel with 2 hp variable speed and reverse and ability to add on a surface grinder option later

I’ve got 16 kitchen blades that I previously heat treated in arizona that I brought with me, mostly z wear, a couple in AEBL and two in A2, And three forged laminated steel blades. I brought about 60 pounds of handtools, small tools and handle material etc

I think it’s gonna be two weeks before I get the grinder shipped to me

I’m staying here and working out of the garage when the grinder comes but in the meantime you’ll find me at cafés and brasseries

Harbeer

M7cvRTW.jpg

G4WHs80.jpg

Last edited:

JTknives

Blade Heat Treating www.jarodtodd.com
So we get 2 pictures that’s it? You drag us through this emotional roller coaster and expect 2 pictures will make us happy. You know us we need more pictures then that LOL.

So we get 2 pictures that’s it? You drag us through this emotional roller coaster and expect 2 pictures will make us happy. You know us we need more pictures then that LOL.
But you can check out my Instagram stories where I post regularly including today...

Here’s some dessert for you
hZkb6Qf.jpg

Some lamb

h1eykWB.jpg

Octopus

GSDGwPG.jpg

This is in London after having tea with michelin star Chef Atul Kochar who has two of my knives.

LQUAL3r.jpg

Chef Toumy in Paris on the right has two of my knives

W0SgbAE.jpg

You could check out www. beltgrinders. pl and also have a look at the owner's Facebook page. Looks serious and solid and way cheaper than Claryx. He also recently made a bunch of grinders for Trollsky's knife making academy or something.
That said, I did have communication problems with him at a point when I was trying to do business there. I don't know what happened.
Since you are full time, you may want to look into a 380/400 V 3 phase option that draws less amps than the 230 V?
To bulk buy belts I use Score Schelifwerkzeuge in Germany for Klingspor (just double check everything is in stock, send them an email), Truhlarime.cz for 3M and VSM and www.carls.nu for the excellent Bora-7 belt. I haven't found better prices yet, and my Google skills are excellent.

Also, when/if setting up a permanent shop, you can check out this auction place for industrial grade machines drill presses surface grinders mills etc:

https://www.troostwijkauctions.com

Welcome to Europe!
are you using 50x2000 size for your belts?
could you email me please? have a question about Truhlarime.cz
[email protected]

And the grinder arrives

a Lions Process grinder, capable of 72” and 2000 mm belts with the contact wheel. There’s also a flat platen and work rest.

this is a grinder that was overwhelmingly recommended to me by a couple of makers

apparently I’m his first usa customer

OVj7cW7.jpg

jxVVvgQ.jpg

REK Knives

Very cool, so are you just gonna leave it there when you come back to the states?

Looks sturdy and like it will work well as long as the motor & drive wheel are lined up properly.

Very cool, so are you just gonna leave it there when you come back to the states?

Looks sturdy and like it will work well as long as the motor & drive wheel are lined up properly.
Yes exactly. So when I come back out here I can stay longer and work a little as I want to

everything lined up good on the grinder.

And the grinder arrives

a Lions Process grinder, capable of 72” and 2000 mm belts with the contact wheel. There’s also a flat platen and work rest.

this is a grinder that was overwhelmingly recommended to me by a couple of makers

apparently I’m his first usa customer

OVj7cW7.jpg

jxVVvgQ.jpg

Is there a particular reason you went with this instead of the Claryx? From what I can see they both start at 1740-1750 euros, but with Claryx you get horizontal mode. Or am I missing something?

Is there a particular reason you went with this instead of the Claryx? From what I can see they both start at 1740-1750 euros, but with Claryx you get horizontal mode. Or am I missing something?
No particular reason, at some point one has to be chosen. The lions process was recommended to me by a couple of French makers. There was more personalized communication with the lions process. It was more local to me here in France.
So I felt comfortable with it.

FredyCro

Basic Member
Both this and claryx look top notch. Are motor and VFD a French make?

If you want to write back here, or shoot me an email, when you have been using it a while I'd be greatful.