Recommendation? working in France - belt grinder

I would grind out a whole bunch of blades that you can bring with you. So Just leave the handle part and blade finishing part left to do, then you wont even need a grinder, probably just your basic tools, pick up a little drill press and maybe a disc grinder for the rough handle work or blade touch ups. Maybe bring along your most useful knife vise.

The work visa thing poses an interesting problem. One time coming back from the US I was sat next to a young chap from Europe (can't remember which country he was from, he might have been Dutch, spoke excellent English) who was being deported from the US because he told Immigration that he was going to "work" there. He had been going to visit a friend, a fellow musician, and had a bunch of self recorded CD's which he planned to sell on the street while he and his friend busked around California.

His mistake was being too open about what he was going to do. If he had said he was visiting a friend and the CDs were for his friend he probably would have been allowed in no problem.

Generally the question is, "What is the purpose of your visit?" or a translation of that. You are not travelling to work, but if you say you will be working, I can imagine the French would want you to have work papers. You probably know better than I, but going on what my friends in France say, the French sound quite strict about people having papers.

What no one cares or does much about are writers who work on books or articles while they travel, or artists who draw or paint and then sell the finished work when they get home. Knife making, with heavy tools, could be a hard sell. A suitcase of wood, blades and files would most likely not even get you stopped by Customs...I never got stopped coming to the UK from the Blade Show, and I carried handle materials, steel, knives, Kydex and tools. I didn't get stopped carrying such stuff into the US either.

Are there importation duties/taxes if you ship knives from France back to the US? How will your customers feel about paying these, compared to not paying them if you sent the knives after you returned?

I know plenty of folks wanting to go cross from Canada to USA for a knife show, or craft fair.

Not permitted in as customs was afraid they were going to sell something there.

One guy in Canada who does do usa shows has all his display knives etched "not for sale" in a huge way.
He shows at shows and takes orders.

Ok so this is my question. If your going to go some places and do work or sell items why not do it legally. I have never had to do it so I don’t know what this takes to do. But I am of the belief that you should try and stay above board on all your dealings.

I know plenty of folks wanting to go cross from Canada to USA for a knife show, or craft fair.

Not permitted in as customs was afraid they were going to sell something there.

One guy in Canada who does do usa shows has all his display knives etched "not for sale" in a huge way.
He shows at shows and takes orders.
We do quite a few international tradeshows and onsite visits at work and we sometimes have to carry equipment across borders. Well I guess, we used to. All you have to do is fill out a carnet if you are bringing the goods back. It is a PITA and will definitely slow you down a lot at the airport, but it is doable. If you plan to sell whatever you are taking, pay the customs and/or VAT.

Are there importation duties/taxes if you ship knives from France back to the US? How will your customers feel about paying these, compared to not paying them if you sent the knives after you returned?
I just bought a knife from a well known French maker, it arrived in 4 days via DHL express for 30 Euro and no problems or duties required.

Kitchen knives by Euro and Australian makers are highly desired in the US and the customers seem to have no problems paying whatever it costs....

Ok so this is my question. If your going to go some places and do work or sell items why not do it legally. I have never had to do it so I don’t know what this takes to do. But I am of the belief that you should try and stay above board on all your dealings.
google opening up a bank account in France and you can get exposed to the bureaucracy and difficulty of what we (Americans) are used to as simple things.

"Opening a bank account is, like everything else in France, a process with an unnecessarily large pile of paperwork. If you are a foreigner, it’s a longer process. If you are an American, a bank might not even want to have you as a client. "

so it's not about doing something legally or not, I'm just trying to see my g/f and make a few knives in her garage so I'm not broke.

I would not carry knife blanks or tools through customs. They will assume you intend to work there and they can bar you from entry.

Best case, the baggage handlers destroy/steal it all .

Ship it all there ahead of time, fedex or whatever carrier you like.

yes the barring of entry is a risk and one I'm not willing to take, thanks for that thought.

France is not open to US passports, except under a few conditions...I'm expecting to go under the #loveisnotourism exemption I have applied for.

Harbeer,
If you are not renewing then you need to cease all sales talk and remove the sales links from your signature line. You also can't post photos of the knives you are selling.
I love seeing your knives and will miss them. Hopefully you will renew soon and can show off your great knives then. If you want to discuss this with me, send me an email sapelt@cox.net

You are welcome to give him a gift membership.

Just to be clear, I really like Harbeer's knives and love to see what he has made lately. But, the rules don't allow it unless you have the proper level membership. Rules are no good if everyone doesn't follow them. They aren't my rules, they are Spark's ... and he owns Bladeforums.
I don't bother anyone who is just posting photos of his knives for folks to look at. But links to a sales site or talking about sales makes it a problem. All I am asking Harbeer to do is remove the sales talk and remove the link to his sales. He can talk about shipping a grinder to France and post all the knife photos he wants if he does that.

If your profile here links to your real name. I'd also delete the thread title and content "working in france" .

You will probably have to renew your membership to do that.

We have a tv show here in Canada about border/customs.

If you're set aside and interviewed before admission, they do a google search right after they search your phone to see "your intentions"

Last edited:
Nah,
He did not renew membership because it is not worth it to him.

Nah,
He did not renew membership because it is not worth it to him.

I understand that.
Read what I wrote.
It would be smart to delete the thread title and posts
He can't do that without a paying membership.

Unless a mod would burn the whole thread for him.

I understand that.
Read what I wrote.
It would be smart to delete the thread title and posts
He can't do that without a paying membership.

Unless a mod would burn the whole thread for him.

Sorry that was not aimed at your response.

It was a response to saying "gift him a membership". Fact is these days the $75 charged often is not worth it to some.

If it is for three months only I'd make and ship the blanks in advance and get a not to expensive grinder to do handle work only.
If you do emigrate permanently you can always set it up as a buffer or extra grinder.
Don't ship handle material over, order it in Europe and have it shipped to you GF's place.
Using an American made machine in Europe brings problems.

Using an American made machine in Europe brings problems.

Electricity frequency being 50Hz rather than 60Hz? Says grinder can be set up for French Electricity....not sure if that is possible for frequency or only voltage. We burned out our dual voltage vacuum cleaner due to the difference in frequency after we moved.

Back