1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Working Up the Spyderco Military...

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by BOOMER52, Dec 15, 2018.

1. BOOMER52

BOOMER52 CNC Custom Scalesmaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 27, 2013
    Had multiple requests of late to develop the CAD/CAM/G-code files for the Military and add it to my portfolio. I finally began the process last week.

So far I have the knife completely scanned and the scans have been traced into CAD. I've exported the vector traces into my CAM application and have created the machining G-code file for a test run.

The first test machining illuminated some minor issues requiring adjustments in the code. With that taken care of... the 2nd test run has proven to be spot on! I have locked down the code and next on my punch list is a full proofing run using some scrap G10. That will take place in the next day or two...

More as it happens...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. PeteyTwoPointOne

PeteyTwoPointOne Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 10, 2014
    Put me down for a set with nice upgraded fasteners when you get everything dialed in! :thumbsup:

3. Stumpy72

Stumpy72 Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 5, 2018
    Just one person’s opinion, but... Owing to personal aesthetic preferences, I’d like to see Millie scales done in what’s called “crushed” or “shredded” CF. Taking it a step further into “going aesthetic", maybe that type of material with copper fragments mixed into the resin or maybe something like the scale material on the Spyderco Chaparral Raffir Noble... I think you could hit a home run with an attainably priced version of the old CRK scales with embedded gold wire--maybe using brass or copper wire. I think you’d find an enthusiastic market for that kind of thing.

If you took this kind of orientation into PM3 and especially PM2 scales, I don’t think you could keep up with orders. Good luck with whatever you end up doing!

Mo2 likes this.
  4. uxo2

uxo2 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2013
    I like that you made it
    TIP UP

5. lieferung

lieferung Basic Member Basic Member

May 24, 2016
    Ohohoho yes.... Steve I hope you plan on selling these like you do your Delica mods. I am not keen on disassembling, and the clip is the one thing that's kept me off the Millie. Would probably jump on an S110V model.

6. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    Yeah that Raffir Noble is for sure a nice scale material and I appreciate the look and the unique result for each knife.

That style of CF you mention is also called "natural" or "chopped".

7. Stumpy72

Stumpy72 Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 5, 2018
    Yeah -- it’s still pretty new, so there’s no standard name for it yet. There are nearly half a dozen different names that different manufacturers and vendors use for it so far.

Danke42 likes this.
  8. 500Nitro

500Nitro Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 10, 2018
    Boomer

Love your yellow inserts in the knives.

Might get a list of what you make / sell them for and then get a couple of knives to suit them.

Do you mod knives for people ? (Not good at taking knives apart).

9. Riz!

Riz!

May 5, 2014
    I live this! Now I might be able to get scales that have the wilson combat styled startburst in them! Ive always loved that pattern

uxo2 likes this.
  10. uxo2

uxo2 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2013
    @BOOMER52 does stunning 3D graphics.
    And the Military has a lot of real estate.

11. 19-3ben

19-3ben Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 27, 2015
    edit. Never mind.

Awesome!

12. FK

FK Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    May we have the option for clip in Spyderco factory position,,, tip down as designed ?

FK

Pharmagator likes this.
  13. BOOMER52

Feb 27, 2013
    Ran the machine this morning to proof the locked code. Had a sheet of G10 of sufficient size in coyote brown... threw a combat blast pattern on and hit the Start button. The code ran flawlessly and the resulting scales are perfect! Assembly was effortless which is what you are always shooting for. Totally pleased how this proof set came out!

Some may notice the alternate hardware usage... I eliminated the Torx everywhere... even the Lynch clip came with hex AND an allen key.

The clip is a Lynch long Ti deep carry. At this point it is just sitting on the knife as I have yet to make the threaded stainless liner plate.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
    Darkera, JBC6650, Sergeua and 14 others like this.
  14. BOOMER52

Feb 27, 2013
    That's the plan... to add this to my portfolio and accommodate future requests.

At this point I still have to work up some alternate code for eventual use of E-Z-Lok press fit threaded inserts for the tip up clip install. The first four knives I convert to tip up will have stainless threaded plates that I will harvest from a spare set of Endura stainless liners.

Pharmagator, Mo2 and uxo2 like this.
  15. BOOMER52

Feb 27, 2013
    If you haven't visited my FLICKR PhotoStream already do so... the knives I machine for are represented throughout the photo archive... https://www.flickr.com/photos/mica17/

I do mod customer knives at no additional charge... you just have to send me the knife.

16. BOOMER52

Feb 27, 2013
    I was intending to only offer the tip up conversion... BUT I can easily enough go back to the liner scan and add the stock tip down clip holes to my CAD model and CAM file.

For the initial period when these are made available I will concentrate on the tip up conversion. I'll add the tip down option at a future date.

17. 91bravo

91bravo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Hey Steve, I'd be interested in a set with factory clip position when you get that done!

18. TIZWIN

TIZWIN

Aug 23, 2006
    Nicely done, sir. I look forward to more progress on your work.

Pharmagator likes this.
  19. sharp_edge

sharp_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Great work!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Is it easier to modify the stock scales into tip-up carry or will it involve more work than creating a new set of scales?

20. BOOMER52

Feb 27, 2013
    Modifying stock scales would not be a problem... a simple matter to machine the three new holes for the threaded inserts in the clip side scale.
    For me it is an aesthetic thing with having the abandoned clip holes at the pivot.

Steve

TIZWIN, lieferung and sharp_edge like this.