Working Up the Spyderco Military...

Had multiple requests of late to develop the CAD/CAM/G-code files for the Military and add it to my portfolio. I finally began the process last week.

So far I have the knife completely scanned and the scans have been traced into CAD. I've exported the vector traces into my CAM application and have created the machining G-code file for a test run.

The first test machining illuminated some minor issues requiring adjustments in the code. With that taken care of... the 2nd test run has proven to be spot on! I have locked down the code and next on my punch list is a full proofing run using some scrap G10. That will take place in the next day or two...

More as it happens...
CSgdqFg.png

vLwkGDl.jpg

CDQ5kus.jpg

1lzPtAr.jpg

m9SmvVt.jpg

Just one person’s opinion, but... Owing to personal aesthetic preferences, I’d like to see Millie scales done in what’s called “crushed” or “shredded” CF. Taking it a step further into “going aesthetic", maybe that type of material with copper fragments mixed into the resin or maybe something like the scale material on the Spyderco Chaparral Raffir Noble... I think you could hit a home run with an attainably priced version of the old CRK scales with embedded gold wire--maybe using brass or copper wire. I think you’d find an enthusiastic market for that kind of thing.

If you took this kind of orientation into PM3 and especially PM2 scales, I don’t think you could keep up with orders. Good luck with whatever you end up doing!

Reactions: Mo2
I like that you made it
TIP UP
Ohohoho yes.... Steve I hope you plan on selling these like you do your Delica mods. I am not keen on disassembling, and the clip is the one thing that's kept me off the Millie. Would probably jump on an S110V model.

Just one person’s opinion, but... Owing to personal aesthetic preferences, I’d like to see Millie scales done in what’s called “crushed” or “shredded” CF. Taking it a step further into “going aesthetic", maybe that type of material with copper fragments mixed into the resin or maybe something like the scale material on the Spyderco Chaparral Raffir Noble... I think you could hit a home run with an attainably priced version of the old CRK scales with embedded gold wire--maybe using brass or copper wire. I think you’d find an enthusiastic market for that kind of thing.

If you took this kind of orientation into PM3 and especially PM2 scales, I don’t think you could keep up with orders. Good luck with whatever you end up doing!
Yeah that Raffir Noble is for sure a nice scale material and I appreciate the look and the unique result for each knife.

That style of CF you mention is also called "natural" or "chopped".

.... That style of CF you mention is also called "natural" or "chopped".
Yeah -- it’s still pretty new, so there’s no standard name for it yet. There are nearly half a dozen different names that different manufacturers and vendors use for it so far.

Boomer

Love your yellow inserts in the knives.

Might get a list of what you make / sell them for and then get a couple of knives to suit them.

Do you mod knives for people ? (Not good at taking knives apart).

I live this! Now I might be able to get scales that have the wilson combat styled startburst in them! Ive always loved that pattern

May we have the option for clip in Spyderco factory position,,, tip down as designed ?

FK

Ran the machine this morning to proof the locked code. Had a sheet of G10 of sufficient size in coyote brown... threw a combat blast pattern on and hit the Start button. The code ran flawlessly and the resulting scales are perfect! Assembly was effortless which is what you are always shooting for. Totally pleased how this proof set came out!

Some may notice the alternate hardware usage... I eliminated the Torx everywhere... even the Lynch clip came with hex AND an allen key.

The clip is a Lynch long Ti deep carry. At this point it is just sitting on the knife as I have yet to make the threaded stainless liner plate.

ev5nwlq.jpg

LPazb8l.jpg

iw2hFpN.jpg

UZejFE3.jpg

6qnHHXz.jpg

u5kD1nB.jpg

Last edited:
Ohohoho yes.... Steve I hope you plan on selling these like you do your Delica mods. I am not keen on disassembling, and the clip is the one thing that's kept me off the Millie. Would probably jump on an S110V model.
That's the plan... to add this to my portfolio and accommodate future requests.

At this point I still have to work up some alternate code for eventual use of E-Z-Lok press fit threaded inserts for the tip up clip install. The first four knives I convert to tip up will have stainless threaded plates that I will harvest from a spare set of Endura stainless liners.

Boomer

Love your yellow inserts in the knives.

Might get a list of what you make / sell them for and then get a couple of knives to suit them.

Do you mod knives for people ? (Not good at taking knives apart).
If you haven't visited my FLICKR PhotoStream already do so... the knives I machine for are represented throughout the photo archive... https://www.flickr.com/photos/mica17/

I do mod customer knives at no additional charge... you just have to send me the knife.

May we have the option for clip in Spyderco factory position,,, tip down as designed ?

FK
I was intending to only offer the tip up conversion... BUT I can easily enough go back to the liner scan and add the stock tip down clip holes to my CAD model and CAM file.

For the initial period when these are made available I will concentrate on the tip up conversion. I'll add the tip down option at a future date.

Great work!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Is it easier to modify the stock scales into tip-up carry or will it involve more work than creating a new set of scales?

Great work!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Is it easier to modify the stock scales into tip-up carry or will it involve more work than creating a new set of scales?
Modifying stock scales would not be a problem... a simple matter to machine the three new holes for the threaded inserts in the clip side scale.
For me it is an aesthetic thing with having the abandoned clip holes at the pivot.

Steve

Back