1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Working Up the Spyderco Military...

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by BOOMER52, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Bapple

Bapple Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Awesome news, thanks Steve for the update!

2. BOOMER52

BOOMER52 CNC Custom Scalesmaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 27, 2013
    OK... it took longer than anticipated to machine another set of tip up Military scales. We had an historic amount of snow... broke records for February going back to 1919...! Clearing snow and frequent power outages kept me out of the shop.

Additionally the Military I was machining for was an older back spacer model that isn't quite the same as the newest model so it needed a complete workup in CAD/CAM which takes time. I now have files for both models.

Anyway... I modified the machining code for the press in threaded insert pockets and holes to correctly install them from the outside surface. The use of the mini drill press arbor to install the inserts was not a success. I experienced too much flex and abandoned the idea after destroying the first insert during the attempt. I ended up using a pair of vice grips which when applied carefully did the job.

I used coarse peel ply black G10 and all hardware was replaced with button head hex stainless with the exception of the pivot D-bolt.

The Lynch Deep Carry Ti pocket clip in the last photo is the shorty version... I did not have a long clip on hand...

Here's some pics...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Colorodo

Colorodo Gold Member Gold Member

May 23, 2014
    That looks great.

4. TIZWIN

TIZWIN

Aug 23, 2006
    I respect your persistence and admire the results. Is it possible with this method to convert a RH Millie to tip-up with threaded inserts on both left AND right sides of the scales; in other words, ambidextrous?

5. BOOMER52

BOOMER52 CNC Custom Scalesmaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 27, 2013
    Mechanically it would be a simple addition of a few lines of code to machine the holes and pockets for the inserts in both scales. Aesthetically you would see the unused three brass inserts. Absolutely doable though.

TIZWIN and mwramos76 like this.
  6. bigolegator

bigolegator Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2014
    Great job... I knew you would figure out a solution :)

7. xtremejc

xtremejc Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 18, 2008
    Absolutely beautiful work. Would totally be interested in a set.

8. TIZWIN

TIZWIN

Aug 23, 2006
    Perhaps someday my right -handed grandsons will be glad that their lefty grandad was able to have this done.