Worksharp Ken Onion Edition

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by ront, Jun 25, 2013.

1. ront

ront

Oct 2, 2005
    Hi all,
    I have just recently heard about the worksharp system and have been considering buying one. I see there is a Ken Onion Edition coming in October,

http://www.worksharptools.com/wskts...|-ken-onion-edition/flypage.pbv.tabs.tpl.html

and am considering waiting for it. I think the variable speed will be a good thing, but I have a question about the guide for the different angles. I am wondering if it will be removable so that you can work free hand like you can now? I have not been able to find out that information. Can anyone help with this question?

Thanks a lot, Ron

2. Morrow

Morrow Don't make this weird Staff Member Super Mod

Apr 11, 2007
    There is a separate attachment that will allow you to freehand sharpen. I saw them demonstrating it at Blade this year.

3. Turbomammoth

Turbomammoth

Mar 29, 2010
    And your impressions were?

4. Morrow

Apr 11, 2007
    It looked great to me....very portable and easy to use. I'll have one as soon as they are available for sale.

5. midnight flyer

midnight flyer Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 12, 2009
    I don't know that this will help, but I can tell you what I have seen at the last few gun shows. There is a guy there that is a "dealer" of some sort for the WS guys. (He is big on practicing on some old knives before putting your priceless heirlooms or customs in the machine by the way.) He can put a mirror cutting edge on a screwdriver with that little machine.

But someway, he takes off the guides to finish his edges as a matter of course. He prefers a convex edge and has no problem getting it with the little machine once the guides are off. I would think the thing to do here might be to contact WS and see if removable guides are still an option.

Robert

6. Morrow

Apr 11, 2007
    I just checked and the guide is removable.

7. Daddyo16

Daddyo16

Jan 12, 2012
    I've been considering pulling the trigger on the original Worksharp, but now it looks like I'll have to wait for this one.

Thanks for the heads up!

8. cbwx34

cbwx34

Dec 27, 2004
    There's a YouTube video on it from Blade Show...

[video=youtube;gDkNHiDC6ug]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDkNHiDC6ug[/video]

9. cautioning

cautioning

Apr 7, 2011
    That looks wicked. I have the original wskt, and the biggest problem I've had with it was removing too much material too fast on lower grit belts. That variable speed will be sweet. My wskt might be looking for a new home in the future 8). Having a platten to do v grinds would be wicked too!

10. ront

ront

Oct 2, 2005
    Thanks for your replies!! I really appreciate it.

Thanks for checking on that Morrow!! I am glad that freehand will still be possible.

I have read that the original WS can remove material very fast and also, that the very high speed can, possible, mess with the temper of the steel on the very edge of the blade possibly causing micro chipping. That is why I think the variable speed may be good.

Thanks again for your help!

Ron

11. aquaman67

aquaman67

Jan 27, 2012
    I too had just taken I look at the WS and saw the KO edition. I'm leaning towards getting one. Thanks for the video.

12. jsp

jsp

Jun 6, 2007
    I have the original WSKTS. I'm wondering if it's possible to also use the 1/2"x12" belts on the newer one.

13. Terry M.

Terry M.

Feb 5, 2006
    Me too!

14. midnight flyer

Jan 12, 2009
  15. Noctis3880

Noctis3880

Jul 22, 2009
    It's pretty sweet. Though it's a pity they didn't manage to have something like a plate backing attachment for those of us insane enough to use ours to grind our blades thinner:D.

16. rpttrsn

rpttrsn

Nov 1, 2006
    You can use the belts from the older model and they track well.

17. midnight flyer

Jan 12, 2009
    Amazing! And the tool doesn't even come out until October! All of my sanders require the belt size they are engineered to use.

I am guessing you have a cite or qualified reference on this you could share?

Robert

18. rpttrsn

rpttrsn

Nov 1, 2006
    My reference is that I have both in my possession. Before I answered the question, I tried the smaller width belt on the new unit. I have been fortunate to field test both for Work Sharp and all I can say for now is that the new model is an upgrade to an already proven sharpener.
    Ron

19. midnight flyer

Jan 12, 2009
    Excellent! That is all good news. Looking at the video of the new machine it seems it is a definite improvement, worth the upgrade.

Robert

20. Noctis3880

Noctis3880

Jul 22, 2009
    Is the spring tension adjustable at all? I've been more looking at putting flat grinds on things, but don't really have much space for a full size belt sander.