Worksharp Ken Onion Edition

Is the spring tension adjustable at all? I've been more looking at putting flat grinds on things, but don't really have much space for a full size belt sander.

I don't see any adjustment on the tension pulley. Keep in mind that the one that I have could be different then the final product. I was asked quite a few questions on this machine when testing it out. Likes,dislikes and changes I would like to see. The final product could have a tension adjustment but I cannot see the advantage to it at this time. Unless the one I have is the same as their final product it would not be fair to answer questions at this time. I am getting in touch with Work Sharp and should get a reply later next week, as Kyle is out of the office as to what they feel I should say at this time. I can tell you that if you tried their first one you will not be disappointed with this new model.
Ron

Last edited:
I didn't need to see this thread... d*** all of you, Ken Onion, and Worksharp...

I had made it a year without buying any new sharpening gear. When october hits, it'll be back to day one.

Hi, I'm (not so) Jungman... it's been one day since I last bought sharpening supplies.

Honestly, I'm excited as heck. This looks like a helluva unit and I think it's cool Ken Onion worked with the folks at worksharp on this.

Well played... just hope they allow us bladeforum members to order a combo package and we get first dibs... I can see this thing being hard to keep on shelves (somewhere between yo2 and wicked edge stocking issues)

I'm getting more and more tempted to sell mine and upgrade when this comes out. It's going to be a sure thing if they release some sort of stropping belt for compounds. I have always felt it was lacking with mine. A worn 6k loaded with green compound is not as good as the felt on my 1x30 8).

cautioning - I've down mother's mag aluminum polish on the worn 6k and it does pretty well. It might be a step up depending on what green compound you are using.

Some time since I have discovered the Worksharp.
I was going to buy it and I discover the Ken Onion Edition.
Seems to be a splendid upgrade.
Are they going to maintain both?
Is the WSKTS still worthy in comparsion with the KO?
I think I must wait.

If the 1'' belts of the WSKTS are valid for the WSKTS-KO that is good news. Because the 3/4" measure of the latter are not in the Micro-Mesh catalog. And I do not want to depend exclusively on worksharptools for spare belts. Too expensive. I want compatible belts apart from the original ones.

BTW, very important a belt for honing. Prepared for adding compound and other for finishing; leahter or something similar.

I don't see any adjustment on the tension pulley. Keep in mind that the one that I have could be different then the final product. I was asked quite a few questions on this machine when testing it out. Likes,dislikes and changes I would like to see. The final product could have a tension adjustment but I cannot see the advantage to it at this time. Unless the one I have is the same as their final product it would not be fair to answer questions at this time. I am getting in touch with Work Sharp and should get a reply later next week, as Kyle is out of the office as to what they feel I should say at this time. I can tell you that if you tried their first one you will not be disappointed with this new model.
Ron

This is the e-mail I received today from Work Sharp and thought I would share with Blade Forum.

Hello Ron.

Thanks for contacting me. The cat is our of the bag (so to speak), but that is just fine. I knew our unveiling at BLADE Show would not go unnoticed.

Early word of mouth on the tool is quite good and people seem excited. I think we have a good set of expanded features.

I encourage you to be open and honest with your feedback. That is certainly my policy when I participate in the forum discussions.

I do not expect any dramatic product changes (some slight fit, finish and color changes) but the core product will be very similar to your field test unit. The biggest refinements are in the user’s guide.

If there are unanswerable question, people are always welcomed to contact us directly.

Thanks for your testing and support.

-Kyle

Kyle M. Crawford

I've been field testing the new one as well. I'm really struggling to find much if anything wrong with it. It's a quality tool that performs exceptionally well. My only issue now is I've sharpened so many knives with it I need a new 120 grit belt. :p

I'll be getting one too when it comes out.

Question - Has Worksharp made a prototype of a rear mounted lithium-ion battery operated version? I know, you can't tell us even if they did!

Recently I was looking for a 18V Lithium-ion battery operated grinder and found the Makita was the best but under high torque it did not please a lot of people so if WS has made a prototype they may find the same thing. I can understand not wanting to put a poor performing battery unit on the market after such great success with the AC version, and yes I know you can get a DC-AC inverter for your car and take it out in the field anywhere so that's probably the closest we'll get to a full portable unit, but after all that, I still want a battery version sooner or later!!

Last edited:
rpttrsn
As you have both machines I have a question.
I need the intenational version with 220v.
For the Ken Onion Edition this means that the KO would not be prepared until the end of 2014.
I am not in a hurry, I can still hone with my water stones.
But, do you think is really worthy to buy the WSKTS when I can buy the KO edition next year? I mean if the WSKTS is not going to be really obsolete after the KO.

This is great news! I'll definitely get one. Only problem is we gotta wait 3 months! Shoot!

rpttrsn
As you have both machines I have a question.
I need the intenational version with 220v.
For the Ken Onion Edition this means that the KO would not be prepared until the end of 2014.
I am not in a hurry, I can still hone with my water stones.
But, do you think is really worthy to buy the WSKTS when I can buy the KO edition next year? I mean if the WSKTS is not going to be really obsolete after the KO.

I don't understand what you mean "would not be prepared until the end of 2014. Are you talking about the 220 version? The Ken Onion model is a upgrade from the original. The WSKTS is still a great way to sharpen knives etc. Only Work Sharp could tell us if they will continue with the older version. If sales stay strong on the WSKTS I would keep it to fill the needs of those who don't want to spend the money on the Ken Onion model. Both models will give you a very sharp edge.

rpttrsn
thanks for answering.
The 220v KO version of the WSKTS will be released at the end of 2014.
I could use the American KO but with a power converter.
BTW, do you know the Watt consumption of the KO? That figure will help me to know the power converter which fits the KO.

rpttrsn
thanks for answering.
The 220v KO version of the WSKTS will be released at the end of 2014.
I could use the American KO but with a power converter.
BTW, do you know the Watt consumption of the KO? That figure will help me to know the power converter which fits the KO.

There is no plate on mine showing the specs of the motor and the user guide I have does not have the info you want.
Hope that Kyle can supply you with watts info for a power converter.
Ron

I've been field testing the new one as well. I'm really struggling to find much if anything wrong with it. It's a quality tool that performs exceptionally well. My only issue now is I've sharpened so many knives with it I need a new 120 grit belt. :p
Just gave my older WORK SHARP to my son from North Carolina who was here with family for a visit. I did manage to keep one of the 120 belts from that one. Needed it to continue sharpening until the KO comes on the market and belts are available for it. Did quite a few knives and scissors also. Like you said I also don't find anything wrong with this new model. I have a 1x42" Kalamazoo that I use most of the time. The only problem is that it is not portable.

Just gave my older WORK SHARP to my son from North Carolina who was here with family for a visit. I did manage to keep one of the 120 belts from that one. Needed it to continue sharpening until the KO comes on the market and belts are available for it. Did quite a few knives and scissors also. Like you said I also don't find anything wrong with this new model. I have a 1x42" Kalamazoo that I use most of the time. The only problem is that it is not portable.

I would be interested in hearing how you would compare the new version (KO) WSKTS to your Kalamazoo for knife sharpening, especially small folders and slipjoints---ease of use, speed of belt changing, and all the pros and cons of each. If you have a minute, please post your thoughts.

Thanks,

Andrew

I would be comparing a machine listed as a knife and tool sharpener to a belt grinder. Each has a specific purpose that they are made for. I try to answer as best I can.
Both will do small folders. I have sharpened a small Swiss Army knife on the KO without any problems. I have touched up utility blades on the Kalamazoo. They are both quite easy to use. Someone would have to use a stop watch to see the difference in changing the belts on each. They are both that easy.
Kalamazoo:
Pros
Well built
Sturdy bench mounted machine
Larger assortment of belts ( larger belts )
Tool rest and platen
Can remove material faster
Larger area to work in
Cons
One speed
Not portable - must bring work to the machine
Larger work area required
No angle guide for knives or scissors

Ken Onion Edition
Pros
Well built
Vari-speed
Portable - can take machine to the work
Adjustable angle guide - 15,20,25 and 30 degrees
Less work area needed
Cons
Smaller belts
Slower removing metal if grinding

These are just really some of the difference between both. There are many others which would take allot of time. If I was comparing a Lansky to a Spyderco Sharpmaker it would be easier.

Both machines perform very well for what they are intended to do. Can't go wrong with either. I sure that if someone scrutinizes my responses they also would have a valid point. Hope this answers you question. It did take more then the minute you asked for. :D

Ron

Something that has said, but I think is very important to insist on:

Belts
Kalamazoo has more options.
Some that WS has not:
Leather Honing Belts
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=48040&cat=1,43072
or Sanding Belt - Scotch Bright - 3M - Super Fine - (1 x 42)
http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/product_info.php?products_id=309
So, you can really finish knives with the Kalamazoo. With the WSKTS you can't, or you have to invent belts with compounds and so on.

The first WSKTS has belts in micro mesh for example, but the KO with that measure, 3/4", has not. It seems that only the manufacturer is going to have this special measure. It means less variaty and more price.
I do not like this exclusiveness.

But kalamazoo has not angle guides.
Many people having the WSKTS say that they do not use the guides. But I think the guides are important.

BTW, thanks for the report Ron.
I am loooking for a sharpener. WSKTS and Kalamazoo are the candidates now.

Back