Worst cuts

I have a great story...kinda long...but a few years ago a friend order two of my knives for christmas presents...i delivered them early one morning to his office and his grown daughter was there...he said...tom show my daughter how sharp you knives are... for background...i won the cold steel best combat knife award the first year it was given at anaheim...lynn said it was the sharpest knife submitted...i get my knives SHARP...anyhow...i was in a hurry..bent over to shave the side of my calf....twelve stitch cut.....big pool of blood in my friends office....yuuuccckkkk...filled up my shoe with blood....heres another for you..ken onion was working on the handle of a SHARPENED..important fact....drop point hunter that was fastened in a vise..he was seated in a chair...stood up and about 3 inches of the blade went into the top of his knee.....that was a while ago...he was still learning...maybe thats why he makes folder now....aloha and be careful....the worse cut i ever got was with a wood chisel...and the worst ive been hurt by a tool is on my drill press...the thing we fear the least can get us the worst.....

well this isn't a knife cut but all this talk made me think of it. when i was about 4 or 5 my older brother decided to get out the pencil sharpener and play a little trick on me. he took off the cover and told me to stick my finger in it. so being the curious and trusting person i am i stuck my finger in it. and yes..u guess it... he turned the handle and really made a mess of my finger.
smile.gif

It's funny that Tom Mayo mentioned wood chisel, cause that's my contribution...
was working on some wood sculptures and had run into a nasty knot in a place where it just had to go, it was spoiling the flow of the line etc. So I turn the gouge (big "u" shaped deal and grab the piece and PULL the tool towards the knot and co-incidently, my other hand. Yup, gouge slips off knot and zooms past my hand. Whew, I thought, that was too close. Then I notice the red stuff running down my hand and the throbbing begins. I now have a perfect U in the top of my thumb. Man that tool was SHARP, didn't even feel the thing go thru my nail and flesh!

I read somewhere that the most common cause of trips to the hostipal emergency room before 11:00am was due to cuts received from slicing bagels. That's how I ended up with 7 stiches in my left thumb one Saturday morning. My wife and I were preparing for a shoot and I was in charge of toasting the bagels (which were frozen of course). As I rocked the knife back and forth with my right hand, I applied pressure to the bagle with my left thumb. When the knife hung up on a particularly hard section, I push a little harder. The next thing I saw was the bone in my thumb...followed by lots and lots of blood. Didn't make the shoot that day...but I did learn to appreciate Lidacain (spelling?) :) .

------------------
Cecil Self
Arrow-Dynamics Cutting Tools
www.arrow-dynamics.com

Lizabelle, belle of the Bladeforums.
Still here?

Okay, hand sharpened a small SAK and cut some skin off of hand holding sharpener with tip of blade.

Non-related, non blade. Girl in school starts hopping out the door on one foot, her other shoe under her desk. Why the hop? She dropped a pencil and speared herself.

Post deleted.

[This message has been edited by Smoke (edited 06 February 1999).]

Sorry for confusion. Just a compliment. The pencil in foot thing is up there w/ a guy in my class who jumped up and touched exit signs to practice slam dunks for basketball.

It's cut out metal and if you look at the bottom of the "X" you will see a metal triangle. His hand and the metal cut out met each other. Can you say ouch?
You on the chat thing? Haven't tried, new computer set up and all.

yep smoke i'm in the chat thing..
smile.gif
that's how i got into knives. you should try it out. and thanks for the compliment..
smile.gif

i guess we're turning this thread to a different topic..oops!
smile.gif

My personal best was 9 stitches to the forearm. I was working on my first dagger, had it in a vise, point up, and reached over it for a file. Stuck it in 2 inches. Being a dagger, that would have been maybe 2 stitches. Unfortunately, I cut a muscle about 1 1/2 inches deep, so the doctor does this big semi circle so he can access it. He did more damage than I did.

The moral of the story: when you aren't working on the blade, keep it covered. I use a lot of electrical tape, but it's cheaper than stitches.

------------------
Gene Martin
http://customknife.com

oh gene...i just remembered when i read yours, did the same thing on a super pointed combat knife....reached over for some sand paper....i was satin finishing the blade and on the way back stuck the point in between my second and third fingers...with some force..ouch....

[This message has been edited by tom mayo (edited 08 February 1999).]

I did a search to find this thread, figured there must be one like it out there.

I made a nice tanto with a chisel edge, but hadn't gotten around to making a sheath yet, found a real old sheath that it sort of fit so I could carry it to work. (don't get to far ahead of me)
While at work I squatted down to grap a bunch of manila folders from a file cabinet and as I pulled the pile onto my leg, my right arm wouldn't rise up, it was stuck to my leg! I couldn figure out why, until I moved my are out down my leg and then the blood started to come out,... It seems that the sheath I used was no match for the extremely sharp chisel edge and the blade slipped through the leather - through the pants leaving about 2" sticking out. As I had brought my arm to rest on my leg the knife slid into the thick part of my forarm, didn't feel a thing, at first...
When I tried to raise my arm the knife pulled me back to my leg! There were two ladies standing near by that sort of shrieked when the blood started coming out, luckily it didn't hit any major veins but I know the value of using the right sheath for the right knife!
My .02 of blood....
G2

------------------
When a fellow says, "it ain't the money but the principle of the thing,"
it's the money.
F. McKinney Hubbard

<A href="www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Cabin/7306/blades.html">G2's
Leather!</A>

[This message has been edited by Gary W. Graley (edited 03 May 1999).]

I have done several dumb things more with broadheads and arrows for hunting than with knives. The first dumb thing with broadheaded arrows was: Putting arrows into a quiver attached to a rec. bow. Knocked one of the arrows off the mantle piece and the arrow went straight down through my big toe and stuck in the floor. Couldn't move my foot and no one was home. Pulling it out hurt more than the actual penetration. Used super glue to glue my toe shut. Worked good too. The second was when I was mounting zwickey bh's onto arrows. Pliers slipped off and the arrow w/bh went just about clean through my right index finger. Made a 3/4 circle cut around the bone. Had to get stitches for that. The third was when I was having my left elbow operated on to clean it out of debris and reattach tendons etc. Well instead of having a full anasthetic to knock me out I had a nerve block administered. To make a long story short it didn't take all the way and as I was watching my orthopedic surgeon make the cuts to insert the camera and insturments it hurt like the devil. These were nice deep forcefull scalpel cuts too. Sure did yell pretty loud though. Well actually cussed at him and said that hurts like a mother...
Needless to say the arm area that was still live was numbed up pretty quick.

I just pulled the "stupid soldier trick of the week" the other day. Just got a new toy to play with, A CRKT K.I.S.S. Well, as luck would have it, I'm flicking the knife open and closed, got sidetracked, and sliced a piece of my middle finger right off. Tried to play it off, close the hand, insert hand in pocket, etc... Well, I bled like I had been shot. All over my pocket. And of course, it seeped through. So, there I was, sitting in the conference room listening to the Sergeant Major's briefing, while the guy next to me screams "holy sh#t, you're bleeding!!" It was a bad day. Now i just have a band-aid on it, but no one forgot.

Well, about 15 yrs. ago I was at a fourth of July picnic and with only 2 clam knives to go around I got the bright idea that a steak knife would work just fine. It did to...for the first 2 dozen, then it slipped on a stubborn one and the tip of the knife went an inch deep in the meaty part of the lower left thumb. Just 3 stiches but loads of embarassment...
Mick

Okay, any of you Boy Scouts out there know what a Tote-N-Chip (knife safety class) is. I was teaching the class and was stressing the importance of cutting away from you, and demonstrated the cutting towards you technique, yup, sliced most of my left forefinger off with a Buck 110 (state of the art in 1970). Lucky there was a hand surgeon on duty at the Base Hosptial, I have almost 85% mobility with that finger...

Hmmm.. my worst cut (and the last one I believe) happened when I was still in high school. I was practicing with my first-ever balisong which was double-edged (like a Tai Pan), so you can imagine what the thing did to my fingers when I made the mistake of not getting them out of the way before the balisong went to its first flip... it hit the joints of my first three fingers, cleanly cutting through skin, and exposing bone... <shudder> It also severed a couple of veins, and was spouting like crazy by the time I got to the clinic. They all healed nicely, but had to learn writing with my right-hand for months! (I'm a southpaw).

The steel used on the balisong is what we call "acero" (taken from deserted train rails. Hurts like crazy if you get sliced by this type of steel. It doesn't rust, but gets a permanent black stain which can't be removed, once it tastes blood. eek!!

Oh well, you guys should've seen all the lumps I had (elbow, noggin, etc) when I was still learning the nunchucks! <grin> but that's another story..
smile.gif

Dan

Ok, here's mine.. I was doing some drills with a Blackjack A-F in front of a mirror.. I lost concentration for a second, and whacked my guard hand at the edge of the wrist, right on top of the pisiform. I remember feeling the contact, but no pain, and thinking "Oh man, I hope it isn't bleeding". I looked down, and, yup, bleeding pretty well. Like a jerk, I said it was nothing, in fact, a friend and I went to a cafe while I was holding some bandages and paper towels against it. When I got home, my wife said "We need you to go to the hospital and get stiches." I said it would be ok, and put a bandaid on it. Unfortunately, due to it's position on the wrist, it kept opening up. So we went to Kaiser, and the doctor said "If you would have come in right away, I would have put some stiches in there."

My wife still reminds me of this..

This will sound piddly in comparison. Back when I was 14, I was at a friend's backyard stupidly trying to throw my tiny Schrade stockman into a dartboard. Well, he threw it, it bounced off the target, and I tried to catch the knife as it fell. The clip blade stabbed my left hand right in the palm right below the ring finger. Blood poured and poured, and for a couple weeks part of that finger was numb. Luckily, no scars or other problems. I won't mention the embarrassing moments at knife stores or gun shows trying to "Hide" my bleeding fingers!
wink.gif
Jim

Back