Would you (American knife collectors) still collect if you lived in the UK?

I've seen loads of cool blades on this site. But I couldn't justify buying most just for them to sit in a bedroom. That's why I was wondering if being allowed to carry them would make a difference to you deciding on purchasing them or not.

I don't really use 'true' collectors. However, I will use expensive custom knives that are meant to be used, not displayed under a banker's light in a formal setting.

We can't carry potato peelers. But it's ok because our police with our best interest at heart are walking around with Sub machine guns and pistols.

They (you) have had their fair share of Terrorism.

When US law enforcement is facing illegal fully-automatic firearms with the 9mm handgun, I wonder why some of them can't have an AR-15 or similar style assault rifle. Of course, there are some that should not be allowed to have any firearm either, having met a few that made me wonder which Cracker Jack box their badge came from. For the record, I mean no disrespect to the vast majority of law enforcement who are there to do a job most of couldn't, wouldn't and, won't do to protect us from the bad people who mean us harm.

In the spirit of this discussion, I would retain some of my collection, only carrying what was actually legal. The paring knife in my lunchbox would stay home. For EDC, I've never been to England. I only a bit of the knife culture from what I read here. Would I be in trouble if I carried a modern, legal slipjoint? A Classic? I know what the law says, but how strictly is it enforced? I'd rather stay on the safe side, personally.

I can't speak for anyone else but, I carried Victorinox that was technically illegal but I never had a problem because I only used it in public for reasonable things. Like the screwdriver and pliers shown in a previous post, context and intent goes a long way with most law enforcement. Beligerant or intoxicated and being a 'jerk', you are going to get the full 'treatment'. Normal and polite, at worst a verbal scolding to put it 'away' and 'out of sight'.

Would I carry an Opinel in the UK, probably if I didn't have my Victorinox on me. After all, how do you cut cheese and slice fruit with a disposable plastic knife?

Would you really though? If you suddenly get teleported to the UK. As the OP states. Knowing the law. You would risk a prison sentence to carry your favourite knife? Or would you conform?

If the 'state' wants to support me with free food, housing and, healthcare because I used a Victorinox on a park bench to slice cheese or fruit, go for it. Like India (when it was a British colony), stand up with non-violence or quit complaining. Sheeple get what they deserve!

Some things are worth personal inconvenience.

I’m going to say that I would still be a collector. I have lots of guns that I don’t carry or use regularly, so I suppose the knives would fill that role.

I would carry the closest thing to a tactical flipper that I could without breaking the law. I think Spyderco makes a ukpk or something g like that that doesn’t lock. That would work for me.

I've got a fair number of knives set aside that I find interesting along with different variations of knives that I really like.

However at the end of the day I dont really see myself as a collector. I've got about 10 knives that I use and about 5 that are in a pile of daily rotation as the situation arises. My most carried is a Buck 112. Surely not a legal knife in the UK.

I've always been more of a traditional knife fan and carried a stockman or sodbuster pattern on and off for many years. With those type knives still finding their way into my pocket.

I also consider the Buck 110/112 and comparable Schrade and Old Timer style knives to be traditional knives. Or atleast classic knife patterns.

Here lately I've really taken a liking to small lock back folders like the Buck 444, Buck 284 Bantam, and Schrade SP3. All of these not allowed in the UK I'm sure.

I've never viewed a knife as a weapon. Never carried one in the mindset of a self defense tool. Of course this doesnt matter in the UK.

I'm late to jump on the bandwagon and viewed then as childs toys for many years but Ive became a big fan of SAKs and carry a tinker a fair bit. But the blade is probably too long for the UK!?!

I guess at the end of the day while my buying habits might change I'd still buy knives and I'd still carry a knife of some sort no matter where I was.

Last edited:
I imagine that whatever drew me to the UK (probably money) would make me stay on the good side of the law as well, so, I'd give up knives, at least whilst I was there.

Maybe Americans are proud of their freedoms, and lately we are more vocal about said frreedoms

Sure and there is a sub-forum provided by the owners of this place specifically for you and your like minded brethren to share your thoughts with each other. This sub-forum is not the place for it.

Since it is hypothetical, yea I'd still collect them if I was able, at least I could look at them and still have them if the laws ever changed or shtf

No, the lack of freedom is not worth the lives saved.

That's assuming that any are saved in the first place. Is there are a dramatic difference in "knife violence" between places with all these hardcore laws and the places with none? What if the heavily restricted places are actually worse?

The topic issue here is really about perspective. I've literally spent decades with a folding knife on my person. Much of that time has involved knives that would be banned under a number of governments or regimes around the world. I've never used one for either aggressive or defensive purposes. Considering the latter, folding knives aren't great weapons in the first place. Having lived in wonderfully safe places where firearms are largely unrestricted, some of these laws would be a major shock to me. At least for me, it might be more relevant as a cause not to move there should the opportunity ever arise.

I'd probably continue to accumulate (I'm not a "collector"; all my knives are users.) slipjoints, if I had the funds.

I'm late to jump on the bandwagon and viewed then as childs toys for many years but Ive became a big fan of SAKs and carry a tinker a fair bit. But the blade is probably too long for the UK!?!

Nope it would be fine. You can carry up to 3" non locking practically anywhere and unrestricted. There are several places in the US with more restrictions than that. I'm flying to the UK soon for business and will probably be carrying a SAK Farmer.

I'm not at all trying to come across as an internet tough guy, but I would like to think that I would not comply. I would continue to live my life, minding my own business, harming nobody, and keep doing my best to be the best person I can be (imperfectly no doubt). Then, let those who would judge me do so by my actions rather than the inanimate objects that I may make the personal choice of deeming necessary to carry. I believe it is our duty as citizens to refuse to follow unjust laws restricting freedom. And yes, I do absolutely believe that freedom is more important than safety. Maybe this is foolhearted, maybe it is arrogant, perhaps it is merely idealistic theory whereas in practice I would see things differently; but it is what I believe in.

Sure, I would keep on accumulating. Just not the same knives as of now.

Back