• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Would you trade your 2021 Traditional Forum Knife???

Would you put up 2021 Bladeforum knife "Spring Street Barlow" for a trade?

• Yes, why not?

Votes: 25 43.1%
  • No, why would you?

Votes: 33 56.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

euroken

Gold Member
All,

Wanted to get your thoughts on something, a topic that could be a little sticky to regulars (also non-regulars) and veterans of the knife community.

First, I don't consider myself a flipper (though, you may think otherwise), meaning, I don't purchase knives just to sell it, doubling, tripling the cost for profit.

Most of GECs I own were purchased on the secondary market, for costs higher (much higher) than the initial offerings by GEC. However, I have also sold them in the past at the secondary market prices, though I do think I've been fair to keep the prices at which I've paid for.

This year's forum knife is my very first one direct from the porch and love it! The beautiful cover, lines of the clip blade (including the ever so slight re-curve), and of course, the bolsters!!! Holy moly! 😍

With that said, however, my grail knives are of the specific #77 or #15 traditionals (given my small hands..."insert your jokes here" 😁 )

Regardless, some of the rare gems of GEC products continue to elude me, and have difficulty finding them for sale (or never get to it on time lol).

So, not to turn this in to a book....

Would you put up this year's BladeForum knife for a trade for something that is also difficult to get?

I know the dust hasn't even settled yet and a lot of the members still haven't gotten their knives...but I start seeing WTT requests and thought it may be a good time try...

The reasoning is that given the popularity of the BF knife this year (more like every year), perhaps I can use it as a bargaining chip, per se, to trade it in.

Also, I was able to get the recently dropped #86 2AB natural bone which I also love. In my opinion, while this is definitely NOT the BF knife, it is also as incredible as a BF knife and would make a great alternative, IF, I can make a trade work for something I can't seem to get.

Given the heightened sensitivity on 'flippers' purchasing this year's BF knives and some regulars/veterans missing out, thought I would request your audience to vote this out.

Your thoughts, opinions and perceptions are absolutely important to me (as a regular visitor to the porch).

I don't wish to offend anyone, or be distasteful, on the forums and, if 'strongly' suggested, I will gladly keep the knife and continue to pursue my 'grails' through other means.

Will NOT be selling the BF knife!!!

So let me have it, please! 🤪

U8TISKh.jpg

Honestly, if you bought the knife it’s yours to do whatever you want with it... and if I had one I would do just that.

If you worry about what everyone thinks about it, you’ll go crazy.

Just remember:
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time.” John Lydgate

My initial response would be "no, I would not".... the forum knife is made available to the members at a "discount" price, so to speak. If the same knife was made as just a GEC 86 Barlow, what would the selling price be, I wonder?

I need to think about this some more, but my knee-jerk reaction is "no".... not judging anyone for their choices, just expressing mine....

If you were to trade your BF knife STRAIGHT ACROSS for another knife I see no problem. Mind you, STRAIGHT ACROSS with no extras - money or otherwise I see no problem. Knife for knife so-to-speak. No profit of any kind. A porch regular is a must. Put it in the Trade section of the BF Exchange and see what offers you get.

If you were to trade your BF knife STRAIGHT ACROSS for another knife I see no problem. Mind you, STRAIGHT ACROSS with no extras - money or otherwise I see no problem. Knife for knife so-to-speak. No profit of any kind. A porch regular is a must. Put it in the Trade section of the BF Exchange and see what offers you get.
Yes.... this is more along my way of thinking....

My initial response would be "no, I would not".... the forum knife is made available to the members at a "discount" price, so to speak. If the same knife was made as just a GEC 86 Barlow, what would the selling price be, I wonder?

I need to think about this some more, but my knee-jerk reaction is "no".... not judging anyone for their choices, just expressing mine....
Much appreciate the feed back...that is what I've been struggling with...a member special issue knife and what would this be 'worth'? The problem is that the value changes for everyone especially when we are trying to make a trade...

That is a great idea, putting stipulation on the trade to meet specific requirements...Thank you Modoc ED Modoc ED !

No, and mostly because i dont believe in trading. Too often I've seen folks in the groups tend to buy knives just to force trades which to me isnt fair when I have money to buy a knife but was deprived of a chance just because some one else bought it and wants to force something from another collection. Dont get me wrong, Ive had two incidences where trading worked out, but I don't generally believe in it.

I'm not a vet with a high post count, but I've been lurking for several years and started contributing more over the past year, here's my 2 cents. I really don't think there's anything wrong with a trade. I also find the 86 to be a touch too large for my taste, which is a shame seeing as this community has now put together two of the best looking knives ever on the 86 frame!! That said, I would only trade to someone I knew would treasure the knife, and for a very special knife. My hesitation with trading has nothing to do with whether it's appropriate to do with the nature of this knife, it has everything to do with regret. To me, it seems like it would one of those that 'got away', a knife that people would post years later, 'man, I had one and gave it up, one of my biggest knife regrets'. That's what makes me hesitant. That said, I'm a fan of knives getting used, if the size would prevent you from carrying it, and you could trade this to someone who would treasure and use it, and you would get a knife you would treasure and use, that seems like a win-win in my book.

No, and mostly because i dont believe in trading. Too often I've seen folks in the groups tend to buy knives just to force trades which to me isnt fair when I have money to buy a knife but was deprived of a chance just because some one else bought it and wants to force something from another collection. Dont get me wrong, Ive had two incidences where trading worked out, but I don't generally believe in it.
mrknife mrknife
Also a great point, but I can definitely say, I didn't buy the knife just to trade. Tipping point for my decision was that I was able to get the #86 2AB Natural bone (which wasn't announced when the BF knife discussion started).

I suppose an opportunity was created for me with the release of the 2AB's

Horse trading is a long established practice with knife people. Have at it.

I'm glad you started this thread. I've been considering doing something similar with mine, for the 2019 forum knife. Don't get me wrong, this year's knife is technically awesome, but there's something missing with it that I can't figure out.

I'm not a vet with a high post count, but I've been lurking for several years and started contributing more over the past year, here's my 2 cents. I really don't think there's anything wrong with a trade. I also find the 86 to be a touch too large for my taste, which is a shame seeing as this community has now put together two of the best looking knives ever on the 86 frame!! That said, I would only trade to someone I knew would treasure the knife, and for a very special knife. My hesitation with trading has nothing to do with whether it's appropriate to do with the nature of this knife, it has everything to do with regret. To me, it seems like it would one of those that 'got away', a knife that people would post years later, 'man, I had one and gave it up, one of my biggest knife regrets'. That's what makes me hesitant. That said, I'm a fan of knives getting used, if the size would prevent you from carrying it, and you could trade this to someone who would treasure and use it, and you would get a knife you would treasure and use, that seems like a win-win in my book.
I can definitely say I have had few of those regrets in the past, (I had sold a GEC 72 lockback which I'll likely never get back 😞). BUT! it's more about moving forward right? Working towards getting something you want even more...

Horse trading is a long established practice with knife people. Have at it.
LOL! I've just used the phrase 'horse trading' but never learned how the saying was coined lol. Just looked it up on the net lol

I can definitely say I have had few of those regrets in the past, (I had sold a GEC 72 lockback which I'll likely never get back 😞). BUT! it's more about moving forward right? Working towards getting something you want even more...

Don't remind me. I have the same regret. I had a spear #72 with the best matched stag covers I've ever owned. Even better, it was rock solid, not the slightest hint of play in any direction. Like a fool I let it go.

Last edited:
I don't often comment on these types of things, but to me trading is a very pure form of exchange. Heck I've been trading since I was a little kid. Match box cars, and baseball / sports cards (that's why they call them trading cards :)).
I would say that you may have traders regret though with this knife :(.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back