• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Would you trade your 2021 Traditional Forum Knife???

Would you put up 2021 Bladeforum knife "Spring Street Barlow" for a trade?

• Yes, why not?

Votes: 25 43.1%
  • No, why would you?

Votes: 33 56.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I normally stay out of these conversations too. So I will preface by saying it is now your knife to do as you please. But my gut says no, especially with this knife for similar reason addressed by mrknife mrknife . There seems to be a trend for some individuals to grab every GEC knife as potential trade fodder, which leaves a lot of people left out on that run. If possible it would be nice to see this one moved onto someone in the community who missed out and I think Modoc ED Modoc ED addressed it perfectly.

Nope. No way.
I didn't get one.

Even if I had gotten one, and for what ever reason I didn't like it, I'd probably just keep it until I found someone that could use a good knife, and give it to him/her.
Trading is too much like selling. I don't wanna be accused of being a daRn flipper making an obscene profit.

Last edited:
Great points above, all !
The discussion is definitely intriguing.
For myself, it’s about “us”…
We wanted one, painstakingly thought-out and designed the darned thing, got one made… by the very bestest, and so on and so forth !!
So a large “NOT a chance” (letting go !)
if I ever get my mits on one :):thumbsup::thumbsup:
Imagining the aspect of it’s replacement also seems… somewhat terrifying🤬

Would I? No, that one you have there is a beauty, and I would keep it. I have purchased a few used / pre-owned GECs through the forum here but have never sold or traded one. I still have all of the Bladeforums knives (GEC and other) that I bought.

But that's me.

Unlike prior years, where people could usually order 2 knives, and because people paid up front before the order was placed, there was not such a limited number (they made however many people ordered) and you generally had plenty of time to order. So this one is a little special, and may tend to trigger some negative reactions if you were one of the lucky ones, and then used that luck to just immediately trade off for something else.

Consider - if you paid $100 for this one but are using it to trade for something that might otherwise cost you $150 to outright buy, then you are taking advantage of the special deal and high demand for this one.

Sometimes you buy something convinced you will love it and when it arrives it doesn't float your boat.

I've had that with knives,watches,motorbikes etc.etc.if the forum rules allow it surely its OK?

The Bladeforums Knife is quite unique because of the build up, the Forum input of the outcome of the Knife combined with the limited number of the Knife etc.

I think if I were you, I would go on the Trade forum asking for a trade on the Knife you want, it is totally your business what you and that buyer wants to shell out for the knives concerned- no else's concern at all, It doesn't matter what you do, people - because they missed out will jump up and down and have a hissy.

What people may ask is why are you using this Knife to Trade when you may have others? - is that what you bought it for for more bargaining power ? may not be so, but will be thought, in the end, its all down to you, you own it, no one else does.

I own MANY knives I have had to pay double and more to get - its how it goes, the buyers will set the level of the market in how much they want a particular model.

If I for some reason need to sell my knives at any time, they will go at the going price, and I am not a flipper.
A flipper is someone who joins the queue and gets a knife, knowing there's a screaming shortage, then sells soon after receiving the Knife for profit.

I would like to think that the Knives I buy - if I sell later will make a profit, That is not flipping in any way, if you disagree think about it when you sell your house or classic car - are you going to sell it for the same price you purchased it for? no, and no one else would, sure there's a difference in investment values here ( in some cases ones knife collection stands at tens of thousands ), but the exact same principle.

If a Knife doubles in value or triples in value in the 5 to 10 or whatever years I own it, then I get a little back to counter the amount of money I have lost with this passion of collecting Knives.

I can certainly understand a person buying one and then finding out they don’t like it as well as expected and selling or trading it.
Where I find it as being disgusting and very aggravating is when an individual buys several for the sole purpose of selling them, not having any interest in the knife, for a sizable prophet to the general public. Especially the forum knives. There are many people who give of their time, effort and talent to make the forum knife happen so that members can have a very fine knife at a reasonable price. It disgusts me that flippers take advantage of it for profit off of others generosity. WTH ? That’s like going to a free bbq, pigging out and then taking more orders away to sell to your coworkers and friends.

For other non forum knives it’s not as aggravating but it sure makes it costly for the people who would appreciate getting one at a reasonable price. Or miss out completely.

Do what makes YOU happy.
Thank you AbelsDad AbelsDad ! Part of my happiness is about owning a knife I've been looking for and part is about being in this wonderful community 😁

Great points above, all !
The discussion is definitely intriguing.
For myself, it’s about “us”…
We wanted one, painstakingly thought-out and designed the darned thing, got one made… by the very bestest, and so on and so forth !!
So a large “NOT a chance” (letting go !)
if I ever get my mits on one :):thumbsup::thumbsup:
Imagining the aspect of it’s replacement also seems… somewhat terrifying🤬

Would I? No, that one you have there is a beauty, and I would keep it. I have purchased a few used / pre-owned GECs through the forum here but have never sold or traded one. I still have all of the Bladeforums knives (GEC and other) that I bought.

But that's me.

Unlike prior years, where people could usually order 2 knives, and because people paid up front before the order was placed, there was not such a limited number (they made however many people ordered) and you generally had plenty of time to order. So this one is a little special, and may tend to trigger some negative reactions if you were one of the lucky ones, and then used that luck to just immediately trade off for something else.

Consider - if you paid $100 for this one but are using it to trade for something that might otherwise cost you $150 to outright buy, then you are taking advantage of the special deal and high demand for this one.
Well, this is where the discussion starts to turn 'intriguing' for me. When we start putting 'price' on a knife for a trade, so called the 'trade value.' For some, they'll sell a knife for much higher value than the trade value if the knife they are trading into is something they really want or have been looking for one. And there is a huge range of what someone 'wants' to get a hold of, regardless of whether it is a forum knife or not.

Sometimes you buy something convinced you will love it and when it arrives it doesn't float your boat.

I've had that with knives,watches,motorbikes etc.etc.if the forum rules allow it surely its OK?
Yes, very true. I used to collect flashlights 😁 Same discussions happen there also.

The Bladeforums Knife is quite unique because of the build up, the Forum input of the outcome of the Knife combined with the limited number of the Knife etc.

I think if I were you, I would go on the Trade forum asking for a trade on the Knife you want, it is totally your business what you and that buyer wants to shell out for the knives concerned- no else's concern at all, It doesn't matter what you do, people - because they missed out will jump up and down and have a hissy.

What people may ask is why are you using this Knife to Trade when you may have others? - is that what you bought it for for more bargaining power ? may not be so, but will be thought, in the end, its all down to you, you own it, no one else does.

I own MANY knives I have had to pay double and more to get - its how it goes, the buyers will set the level of the market in how much they want a particular model.

If I for some reason need to sell my knives at any time, they will go at the going price, and I am not a flipper.
A flipper is someone who joins the queue and gets a knife, knowing there's a screaming shortage, then sells soon after receiving the Knife for profit.

I would like to think that the Knives I buy - if I sell later will make a profit, That is not flipping in any way, if you disagree think about it when you sell your house or classic car - are you going to sell it for the same price you purchased it for? no, and no one else would, sure there's a difference in investment values here ( in some cases ones knife collection stands at tens of thousands ), but the exact same principle.

If a Knife doubles in value or triples in value in the 5 to 10 or whatever years I own it, then I get a little back to counter the amount of money I have lost with this passion of collecting Knives.
Great point about why the BF knife not the 2AB for example. I try to explain but you are right about what others will think 'regardless' of what my intentions are.

And thank you for reminding me of the 'timing' of things. I started this thread only about three weeks after the ordering date, before even others had their chances to get their hands on one. If I had simply gone to the WTT area to trade this knife away after a year or two, a perception may be a bit different.

Awesome inputs!!!

I personally would not, as this knife does a couple of things (for me):

1) It seems to barlow (verb) as well as any knife could
2) I anticipate this knife will be one of the most coveted GEC produced knives ever run, and there isn't much out there that I would value as much as I value this knife. That's after sampling a lot of traditional patterns, sizes, blade configurations, etc. If I were an avid collector of a different and hard to get pattern, and I needed one to complete a collection, I'd probably think about it differently. But I'd want to wait until all of the long-standing members who didn't get one were able to get one first.

Last edited:
No way... Never.
The blade forum knife should only be sold at cost... that's gentlemen's the agreement around here.
To "Trade It" for a higher value knife is just a tricky way of skirting around that issue... as I see it.
Sell it at cost if you must, preferably to a long standing member with good intentions, that won't sell it, or worse yet flip it.
But I'm not the Knife Police, everybody doesn't have to follow my standards on such things.

Trading should be ok, If the knife did not meet expectations then your left sitting there wondering what to do now. Like you mentioned you did not want to be associated with flipping the knife and posted the question to everyone here kinda verifies your not a flipper. Say someone offered you the same knife but with Micarta Handle. you like Micarta, The other person likes the BF version. I dont see a problem with any trade situation like that. Your being gracious asking first but in reality you dont need to. Your free to do whatever suits you. Abiding by the rules and turning around and listing the knife for sale for double isn't happening. Trading is different than selling. Keeping a good rep on here is important but the way your asking means alot to everyone.

Im sure you did not purchase with the intent to trade. their was only one to buy. Not multiples. its hard for flippers to do much with this model either. Im sure some may come up for sale online but not enough to make any real difference. Every other BF knife has ended up for sale at one point or another. Years later its bound to come up now and again.

To me, trading has nothing to do with value. It has to do with want. If someone has a knife that's only worth $20.00 and I want it bad enough, I might offer a knife worth $100.00 or more to get it. On the other hand someone might have a knife worth $100.00 and offer it for trade for a knife worth only $10.00 .

Everybody got that? I confused myself writing it but what the hey!! I'm 78 and slowing!

Carry on .

To me, trading has nothing to do with value. It has to do with want. If someone has a knife that's only worth $20.00 and I want it bad enough, I might offer a knife worth $100.00 or more to get it. On the other hand someone might have a knife worth $100.00 and offer it for trade for a knife worth only $10.00 .

Everybody got that? I confused myself writing it but what the hey!! I'm 78 and slowing!

Carry on .
I once had an American soldier on active duty (I am English) offer me everything under the sun for a mine warning sign I had in my truck window with AK47 bullet holes.

In the end he wanted it so much I just gave it to him,I often imagine him telling story's about it when he got back home.

some things you cant value with money.

I voted yes in the pole, insofar as I believe that trading it is a fair way to get something you want without becoming a flipper like Modoc ED Modoc ED stated trading does not necessarily have anything to do with value.

That being said if there was a third option of "do what you want but you'll regret it if you do" I would have chosen it. Like said above the 2021 forum knife is unique, outstanding, and very special both for what it is and for what it represents.

Last edited:
I’m going to avoid the morality question. It’s dizzying to think about.
I’m ultimately in the “you’ll regret it camp.” I don’t know what specific 15‘s and 77s you’re looking for, but the forum knife is unlike other 86s, and will be just as hard to find in time as the rare 15‘s and 77‘s. The forum knife Is more special than the 2AB, in my opinion.
Then again, maybe it’s not, I haven’t gotten mine yet…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back