WSS Shango Pass Around- sign up here

Sorry for the delay (and if this is not as complete of a review as the first one that disappeared when my "token expired").

I really like this knife! It is actually my #1 TOPS knife that I have tried out, and at the top of the list of TOPS knives that I would like to own.

First of all is a comparison shot of the Izula/Shango/ my Wedding Necker:
IMG_5920.jpg

IMG_5924-1.jpg

The Shango is very comfortable in hand and fills the palm well. The scallop for the firesteel is unobtrusive when palming the pommel, and while it is not as comfortable as my wedding knife I find its contours much more comfortable than the Izula, even with them being relatively the same size. I have used neck knives for over 15 years now, and have come to realize that I prefer scales on my neckers. I understand that comfort is inversely proportionate to how a neck knife prints, but I openly wear all neck knives so that is not an issue with me.
IMG_5928-1.jpg

As mentioned in my above post the coating is like nothing I have worked with before, as it has "flowed" with the dents put in the blade without cracking, I wish I could have had this knife longer to see how it wears off- but looks like the best coating I have seen.
IMG_5926-1.jpg

IMG_5927-1.jpg

I really liked the fact that this is a necker with a clip point! It seems that clip points are taboo with users, but I grew up with them and it felt natural. The tip is very comfortable to choke up on, and with it being centered it is very responsive. You don't want to know what this apple called me before I reamed it a new one!!!
IMG_5914-1.jpg

I don't know what looks better on this plate, but the knife made sure that it was less than barbaric to eat.
IMG_5961.jpg

I did have a few issues with the whole package. I did not care for the kydex retention, as well the edge angle was more obtuse that I like. I would be able to fix these things easily enough if they were mine, but as it was a passaround I left them unmolested and sharpened the knife on a spyderco Sharpmaker on 40 degrees until hair scraping for my limited testing. The last thing was a bit of a tradeoff. I tried to use the scallop in the butt as a scraper for tinder as I knew that it would work on firesteels (If I struck it in the house I would have had to find a new one without the rest of my family). On birch and fatwood it would not scrape dust or curls very well when I tried, but to make it more effective the scallop would have to be sharper, which would have cut into the palm more. This probably was taken into consideration with the design, but it could have been more utilitarian with more of a scraper edge, however it is a great useful feature as it is.

Plus this is a very child friendly knife as well:
IMG_5945.jpg

IMG_5918.jpg

Thank you for the passaround chance, I enjoyed playing with a new big boy toy. While this will not take the place of my Wedding necker, it would make a very good backup, or low profile alternative. I just wish I could have beat it up more than I did.

I have it now and will carry it till next weekend. More to come.

Good review!

Thanks again Joe!

Shango arrived today safe and pretty dull (expected). I stropped the edge a bit and it came back a little. Brings me to my first question which I might have asked before, but how would Joe like this knife to be sharpened? V bevels like on the Spyderco Sharpmaker or bench stones, convex like on a belt sander or leather/mouse pad backed sandpaper, or slightly concave by putting it on the paper wheels? Thanks in advance! This is my first experience with a TOPS knife and I would enjoy the chance to sharpen it up and see what it can do here in Central PA.

Once out of the package and stropped, I did a thorough washing twice and put it to use cutting up some onions and red peppers for Chili. It worked well enough for such a tiny blade (I prefer a 10" chef knife for these chores usually). The handle has a satisfactory ergonomic design that made keeping it in hand easy even when covered with onion juice.

Just my random opinion, but I am in the pass around - I would like it to get to me with whatever edge geometry it ships with.

Yep, please keep the edge at the normal flat grind secondary bevel (more or less same angle) that you can. If you are going to take it to the belt sander, please know what you are doing so the heat treat isn't modified! That 440C steel is easy and more responsive than most stainless steels to a stone (one of the reasons I like it so much) I'm all for frankensteining an edge on a knife, but it isn't the best choice for the passaround.

As mentioned in my above post the coating is like nothing I have worked with before, as it has "flowed" with the dents put in the blade without cracking, I wish I could have had this knife longer to see how it wears off- but looks like the best coating I have seen.

That knife has seen ALOT of love before being in the passaround. (It was actually reviewed by a member here way before hand) It takes a while to get that coating so gnarly. I think it looks prettier all messed up :p

I am more inclined to use the Spyderco Sharpmaker which has two pre set angles to choose from and Joe gets to choose. :) I can take a couple light strokes and see where the stones are hitting the bevel on either angle, but again, it is up to Joe.

Edit:

Upon closer inspection, I would guess it was closer to 40 degrees (inclusive) angle than it is to 30 degree.

Oh, and I have added a 550 cord (gutted para cord) cover to the ball chain nech lanyard to make it more comfy on the neck.

Last edited:
I'm not part of the pass-around, but I own one and feel I should mention that the handle wraps up nice and comfy with paracord.

Shangocontinued010.jpg

While getting into the sharpening on the Spyderco Sharpmaker, my guess was confirmed, it was pretty much right at 40 degrees inclusive. This edge is a bit thicker than I regularly sharpen, so if felt like it took more time than my sharpening efforts usually take. The blade steel sharpened up well in time.

I started with the Diamond rods, then to the brown/gray rods and finished up on the white rods. I did some stropping after the sharpening just to be certain not leave any trace of a burr.

Today is pretty rainy so I have been inside and not out doing what I had hoped I could with the passaround knife. I will say that during the sharpening process, I was wishing for some temporary scales for the knife to stop my hand from cramping. I did not stop to attempt to recreate the sassy para cord wrap that was posted by 42blades, but it did cross my mind a few times.

I have decided that the knife and sheath alone would probably be fine on a neck rig, but with the other goodies on there, I have been having headackes which I attribute to the weight that is on my neck that I usually do not have to contend with on a regular basis. For that reason, and so I do not have to keep popping pain relief tablets, the knife will ride in the sheath in a pocket for the short remainder of my time with the pass knife.

Tomorrow is expected to be partially cloudy so I hope to get into the back yard, or over to the gun club for some actual outdoors use/testing. I will be certain to bring along some friends for the Shango to play with during the testing.

IMG_6022.jpg

IMG_6023.jpg

IMG_6024.jpg

IMG_6025.jpg

IMG_6027.jpg

IMG_6028.jpg

Now I’m going to try to make char cloth out of an old pair of jeans. Not the best source, but it is what I was handed today. 

IMG_6029.jpg

Thanks again to Joe for the chance to check out this knife! I really enjoy the profile, but if I score one, I will have to put some handle scales on it.

Last edited:
Okay, today’s effort was mostly fun practice for me on fuzz/feather sticks. It took me a bit to find the sweet spot for the Shango, but after that it went very well.

IMG_6037.jpg

Here is the group after shot from my tests. I tried to pick knives that were thinner handled or slightly unusual for this type of task which you might be stuck with in an emergency.
IMG_6034.jpg

A close up with the other participants with the fuzz sticks I made.

Koster Kit Knife with Black linen scales
IMG_6035.jpg

A Case knife that I got at a public auction that had been used to cut through a live electrical wire on a farm which prompted me to serrate the damaged blade. Each blade made its own fuzz and the points are letting you know which one made which fuzzy. Before I serrated the blade I sent the knife back to Case and received it back in the same condition with a note that said they could not replace the blade even if I paid them to do it.
IMG_6036.jpg

Spyderco Native C41PBK that was reground by Tom Krein with a Full convex and convex micro bevel. It seemed to bite in a little too well for my poor technique.
IMG_6038.jpg

Spyderco Swick 2 which was just released and seemed to be thin handled just like the Shango, but the ergonomics allowed me to cut with more comfort than the Shango did, but I would still rather have handle scales on both.
IMG_6039.jpg

Bob Dozier neck knife I traded into a year ago or so which was supposed to be some sort of exclusive short run some time ago. I have not looked into it yet and may not bother since I plan to keep using it.
IMG_6041.jpg

Here is a couple of spine shots to let you know the relative thickness of each knife.
IMG_6042.jpg

IMG_6043.jpg

A comparison pic.
IMG_6045.jpg

Some late entries: A Ladybug Salt SE, a factory second Spyderco Delica that I bought with a little over one inch of blade left snapped off clean, and …
IMG_6046.jpg

…a Spyderco Mule wearing Green Canvas Micarta removable scales.
IMG_6047.jpg

For those wondering, I did try the fire steel, but I was not able to get the striker at the butt of the Shango to work, so I improvised and used a P-38 can opener blade. Oh, and yes, I had a garden hose ready if needed.
IMG_6048.jpg

IMG_6049.jpg

That is about the extent of my bushcrafting efforts so far, so the last bit of my time with this knife will be EDC tasks and food prep. The edge did just fine and will likely only need a little stropping prior to the next cutting task.

Shame about not getting the spark, you are the first one that I have heard of not get a spark on it. I've personally seen 4 people use that exact blade to make sparks. Did you try it like the video attached?

I can understand about getting hand cramps after hard use and wanting scales, I encounter that with almost every knife I have without a handle. I've been toying with the idea of making scales for the Shango and converting it to a little belt rig. Good job on getting the edge back up! I love taking the time to try to keep to the original angle, as I've been trying to become less belt sander dependent myself and moving back to the good old norton stones.
[youtube]5k8T3pXCgcU[/youtube]

Last edited:
I agree that the 40 degree edge is a little thick by the way. Ideally it could like 30 or 25 degrees

Like I said when I posted that I would like to participate in the pass, I really have no bushcrafting skill, so I'm certain it was user error. That video would have been a good thing for me to watch prior to today's efforts. I did not think of hammering down the ferro which is probably why it did not work for me. Also, I had the ground out part facing the ferro rod, not facing the small pile of tinder. I will try again tomorrow if the weather holds. Thanks for the video!

My comments on the grip were not really a complaint as much as an observation which was the same on the Swick2. In general I am very pleased with the Shango. If you would like me to start reprofiling it to 30 on the Sharpmaker, let me know and I will see what I can do. :)

Thanks again Joe for letting all of us play with your knife!

Last edited:
Nah, keep it at 40 degrees for right now. Send it to the next guy sharp, which is how it should have came to you
smiley-face-whistle-2.gif

I'll be passing along the final edge info though, thanks a ton.

No worries here. I was given a chance to sharpen it sooner rather than later. I do enjoy sharpening and was looking for a chance to sharpen something from TOPS.

Back