WSS Shango Pass Around- sign up here

I first want to apologize to all in this thread for taking so much time with this review. I will spare you the details but it has been a crazy ride the last few months. I am sorry to Joe in particular. I was trusted with a quick turn around and certainly did not hold up to my end of the bargain.

ShangobyJoe003.jpg

Knife Specs:

Overall Length: 6 1/2"
Blade Length: 2 3/4"
Blade Thickness: 5/32"
Steel: 440C RC 58-60 Cryo Treated
Handle: Skeleton
Sheath: Kydex
Weight: 0.15 lb.

This package came to me over the summer and hit me right before I went on a long hike in Michigan (from Gobles, MI to Lake Michigan). I brought it with my in my pack as a back up knife. I never had the need to use my main knife so when I used any blade I used the Shango. It came plenty sharp (although I would refine the edge a little were this mine - a little less steep of a grind would make this a better slicer and wood worker for me) and the edge performed well. I do think the price point is a little high - but not crazy.

When I got home I checked out how it performed in various tasks. There are MANY things to like about this knife:

1) There are plenty of holes in the knife as well as the groove along the tang to lash it or attach it various ways if needed. One could easily make a handle for the Shango if pressed to use it for a long time. Were this mine, I would add a fob to the end of the handle to allow for a little more comfort when using in longer circumstances.

ShangobyJoe005.jpg

2) The sheath is great. It is well made Kydex with a small thumb node to easily push the knife out of its sheath. The sheath also had a lot of holes to easily make this into a neck knife or lash it to your pack if needed. I cannot verify this, but I think the hole spacing will also allow a Tec-lock to be used.

ShangobyJoe001.jpg

3) The firesteel notch was SUPERB. I easily used the blade to make thin curls of softwood, used my magnesium bar and the firesteel notch to make THIN curls of magnesium and then used my LMF firesteel to make an instant fire. Honestly, this is the EASIEST time I have had making fire with this combination. I personally think the Firesteel notch is worth the price of admission.

ShangobyJoe002.jpg

What I also loved about the piece is that it could easily could be used with the sheath on the Shango and keep your hand totally safe when using the back end.

4) I am not a fan of TOPS thick paint like coating - but on a neck knife (around sweat all day) I think this is a cool addition. It could easily be removed on the edge to sharpen the Shango in the way you want.

5) The knife weighs next to nothing. It is a small package and makes a great neck knife or backup knife for a pack. I tossed it in the outside of my Osprey pack and didn't really know it was there.

6) The TOPS whistle that came with it is flat - loud and a great whistle. I liked the addition of the 550 cord and ranger bands to the knife and sheath. I liked that this little package made a nice backup PSK - or small pocket PSK style kit.

ShangobyJoe004.jpg

In short, I really liked this package and would not hesitate to own it as a neck knife, back up knife, or mini PSK.

Nice one Joe.

Lastly, I need the next persons address and I promise I will get it out to them ASAP.

TF

Whats a "quick turnaround time?". If you find one of those, let me know!

Took the Shango camping. (and forgot my camera, so no pics)
not totally fond of the sheath - it's a bit "rattly", but the knife is pretty nice.
showed up with a good edge, so I didn't touch that.
made fuzz sticks, threw sparks, and used it for food prep with no issues.
For the size of knife it is, it's got a comfortable enough handle.
I really like the "shango notch" - easy to use, also works for scraping bark off small branches and making dust for tinder.

I think Veubent is next - sent a PM asking for a shipping address.
thanks for the passaround Joe!

I'll try to go back and add in some comments, but all in all, the Shango did very well. I used it to (almost) build a one stick fire out of some dried Sugar Maple. Sure, the blade was a little on the short side for this, and yeah the handle wasn't the most comfortable in the land, but thats not the idea for a knife like this. Its meant to ride on your person, so that if you lose everything else, you'll still have a viable survival tool/kit, and this knife fills that niche extremely well!

627fd8bd.jpg

9e154bfa.jpg

b00cc5e6.jpg

006f6209.jpg

c356bd5e.jpg

1c5828ba.jpg

Took the Shango camping. (and forgot my camera, so no pics)
not totally fond of the sheath - it's a bit "rattly", but the knife is pretty nice.
showed up with a good edge, so I didn't touch that.
made fuzz sticks, threw sparks, and used it for food prep with no issues.
For the size of knife it is, it's got a comfortable enough handle.
I really like the "shango notch" - easy to use, also works for scraping bark off small branches and making dust for tinder.

I think Veubent is next - sent a PM asking for a shipping address.
thanks for the passaround Joe!

For reference, mine has a "rattly" sheath as well. That and the obtuse factory edge are the only things I can find fault with it. It's a great knife. :thumbup:

Back