WSS Shango Pass Around- sign up here

440C takes longer than 1095, but thats about it. If it was something like s30V or D2, I would have belt sanded the critter and wouldn't look back. I learned that with an S30V scandi

My last entry.

This knife was sharpened on the Spyderco Sharpmaker, packaged up and shipped out yesterday along with an email to Joe and the next participant that contained the shipping info.

I did decide to attempt a cord wrap just before shipping it out so feel free to take that off if it is not of interest. I made the one end easy to remove if desired.

The knife made one more feather stick before the sharpening, and I was able to get the striker on the but to work with the fire steel, thus further proving how effective it is since I was able to make it work (once I watched the video).

Overall, for a skeleton type knife, it works very well! If the knife was mine, I would have thinned the edge down the first time I sharpened it. Again, for Joe's intended use, this knife is outstanding, light, and worth your consideration.

My thanks to Joe for the chance to check out his design and knife as well as for the video so I could attempt to redeem myself for my previous firestarting short coming. I look forward to seeing the other participants experiences, thoughts and pictures!

Sincerely,
Doug

Received the Shango Saturday and look forward to using it this week, will report back with pics.

Very nice work on the edge, Doug. I used it to dry shave this morning. :D

Glad you received it safely. If I had known that was the first thing the Shango was going to do, I would have gone all the way through the Ultra fine sharpmaker stones before stropping. I know the edge I sent would do the job, but just was not quite as comfortable to shave with as it could have been.

Thanks for taking the time to do the edge Chap, I remember doing many passarounds and getting a dull blade on almost every go around. I'm glad you went above and beyond the call to work and re sharpen on the factory edge like you did! Thanks!!

I was able to get out with the Shango this weekend and try it out, along with a few of my other neck knives. I'm a big fan of neck knives, not because I wear them around the neck (I almost never do), but because they are light and relatively compact, which means I am more likely to take them along, even on a short dayhike. I almost always have one in my pocket or buried in my pack somewhere when hiking. Here are a few of my favorites, an Izula and Gossman PSK, along with Joe's Shango.

IMG_3982.jpg

So on to the review:

I like the blade profile on the Shango. The belly of the blade has a nice bit of sweep, and the 'hump' on the swedge makes a great place to lay your index finger, both attributes I think would make this a handy little skinner. I drilled a couple of holes in my fire board, and the clip point made that easy as well as giving some nice piercing ability.

The thumb jimping is well designed and worked down enough that it doesn't make hamburger out of your thumb during hard or extended use and the handle is long enough for my medium size hands to grasp with room to spare. Hand fatigue will probably be an issue during extended use, but that just goes with the territory when using a blade with no scales. If this one were mine, I’d wrap the handle a little more extensively, ACU paracord of course. :D

IMG_3989.jpg

The magnesium/ferro setup works really well with the scraper. I was able to scrap off a good mound of magnesium in no time and was able to spark it on the first hit of the ferro. Heck of a lot easier than the way I usually use this fireboard. The shavings are pretty fine and would probably be prone to blowing around in the wind, so you’d want to use this in a sheltered location.

IMG_3985.jpg

Didn’t know how I would like the combination of a coated blade along with stainless steel. Most my knives are high carbon, and as you can see from the pic of the Izula above, I can live without blade coatings. I think I like the concept though. I don’t worry too much about rust on the Gossman or Izula, if I see any I just clean it off. I don’t get around to changing the paracord wrap out very often though, so I always have that little worry about how bad it is getting under the wrap. With the Shango’s coating and stainless steel, I don’t think it is an issue. This could be a blade you throw in your backpack, day pack, or BoB, and not worry about for a year or 5.

IMG_3992.jpg

The kydex sheath is nice and keeps things low profile. I like the thumb ramp at the top of the sheath that assists in the draw, well done. Blade retention is good, however on this one at least the fit is fairly loose, so the blade rattles around a bit in the sheath. Nothing a good blow dryer probably wouldn’t fix.

So all in all a very solid little performer. I had already convinced myself that I didn’t need another neck knife, but after using the Shango a bit I really think it has a place given it’s well thought out blade design and coated stainless steel. Thanks for the chance to take a look at your design Joe, well done! So off to the strop and the next reviewer.

Guys thanks for the GREAT INPUT. Your intelligence and intellect with things sharp really show through. Alot of this stuff that people are talking about are things I have noticed to and will help in the next set or further designs. Thanks for all the honest and stellar input and fun pictures.

great review Mapper...:thumbup: the Shango is an awesome little knife.. i love mine...:)

The slightly loose fit of the sheath is why I made a paracord retention strap for mine. Can't find fault with anything else about it, though. :)

Picked up the Shango at the PO today. First impressions are that I really like the design and size. Great work on that Joe. Striker divet is neat and works but I prefer my Strikeforce. I would really like to see this knife with scales.
I'll post pics and a review when I get a chance to mess around with it.
Scott

Yeah, I would say given the choice between a strike force and the shango (as far as fire strikers go) I would have to say strike force takes the cake. I think they use unobtanium as their striker steel. But dangit I can't open my beef jerky bag with it :p I'm glad you like the design, mapper, and thanks for the thorough review! Funny you mention scales....

The Shango is on it's way to the next person. I will post a review within a few days.
Thanks Joe.
Scott

I think im after you Scott....Ill start keepin my eyes peeled...

I am looking forward to getting a feel for this one...I liked Mikes alot when I got to see it...

Yo - I have it. Sorry. I was on vacation and it got delayed. I am home and all over it. Sorry for the delay.

TF

Back