XM-18/24 Vs Strider SnG/SMF? have you had both? thought please

BBW

Currently I own an SnG. I know some people around here don't like them so much. Mine is super smooth; it took 3 days to brake in. Perfect engagement with no play and solid. Yes, blade is not perfectly centered; I would prefer it to be but I wouldn't send it to SKI just for that.
Hinderer... have never seen one in person but my thoughts are that is a Strider with Chris Reeves quality F&F...
Am I correct? would you say that the RH is a more refined version of Strider?
Thanks for your insight:thumbup:

I own a 3.5" flipper XM-18 and an SMF CC. I also owned a Large Sebenza. The SMF is pretty massive and solid, certainly compared to the Sebenza. I bought mine at MonkeyDepot, and they (said they) selected a perfect specimen, and mine certainly was. Perfect lock-up, perfectly centered, perfect action. Because of this knife I never even knew they don't all come that way.

The Hinderer feels at least as solid as the Strider, and is a lot smoother. It is the best folder I own or have ever owned, and I own a few. ;) The Duratec steel on mine is just excellent.
I sold my Sebenza, the other two are keepers. I was unimpressed with the Sebenza, but that is blasphemous to bring up again. :rolleyes:

thanks Phil; so the added liner of the Hinderer doesn't make it feel more solid? Its funny that you compared the SMF to the sebenza (The sebenza blade is way thinner than the SMF)
I kind of know what you mean about the sebenza..I held a sebenza once and I liked it; if I ever have an extra 400$ for a knife that I won't use that often but it would be nice to have, THEN I'll have one ;-)
Cheers

thanks Phil; so the added liner of the Hinderer doesn't make it feel more solid? Its funny that you compared the SMF to the sebenza (The sebenza blade is way thinner than the SMF)
I kind of know what you mean about the sebenza..I held a sebenza once and I liked it; if I ever have an extra 400$ for a knife that I won't use that often but it would be nice to have, THEN I'll have one ;-)
Cheers

The first impression of most people when they handle an SMF is how light it is - and that's because of the Ti-G10 combo. The thick blade accounts for most of the weight I'm sure.
The Hinderer has more weight in the handle, relative to the SMF, although its blade is no thin razor either, and it's saber ground as opposed to the SMF's FFG (newer SMF's can be had in saber as well).
Anyway, it's not like the SMF feels less solid, just less weighty. If that makes sense. ;)

The first impression of most people when they handle an SMF is how light it is - and that's because of the Ti-G10 combo. The thick blade accounts for most of the weight I'm sure.
The Hinderer has more weight in the handle, relative to the SMF, although its blade is no thin razor either, and it's saber ground as opposed to the SMF's FFG (newer SMF's can be had in saber as well).
Anyway, it's not like the SMF feels less solid, just less weighty. If that makes sense. ;)
10-4 ;-)
thanks!

Currently I own an SnG. I know some people around here don't like them so much. Mine is super smooth; it took 3 days to brake in. Perfect engagement with no play and solid. Yes, blade is not perfectly centered; I would prefer it to be but I wouldn't send it to SKI just for that.
Hinderer... have never seen one in person but my thoughts are that is a Strider with Chris Reeves quality F&F...Am I correct? would you say that the RH is a more refined version of Strider?
Thanks for your insight:thumbup:

Don't mean to rain on your thread dude but there can be only one big bad dog and it's Hinderer all the way. Better F&F, ergos etc. than either the Strider or CRK. Tougher by far than either you mentioned and Rick and Rob are really nice guys who you can actually chat with about a knife.

I'm not going to trash the other makers (I could point out all of their faults) but I will say that an XM-18 or an XM-24 is perfect F&F, better ergonomics by far and is by far the most sought after of the three that you've mentioned. If you get one in your hand this will become immediately apparent! :thumbup:

Don't mean to rain on your thread dude but there can be only one big bad dog and it's Hinderer all the way. Better F&F, ergos etc. than either the Strider or CRK. Tougher by far than either you mentioned and Rick and Rob are really nice guys who you can actually chat with about a knife.

I'm not going to trash the other makers (I could point out all of their faults) but I will say that an XM-18 or an XM-24 is perfect F&F, better ergonomics by far and is by far the most sought after of the three that you've mentioned. If you get one in your hand this will become immediately apparent! :thumbup:

This is 100% correct.....especially about getting one in your hand. I was blown away the first time i held a Hinderer. Everything else seems inferior right away....IMO:)

I have had all three, and I like them all. The SnG and XM-18 have stayed.

IMO, the F&F of XM is better. That said, I like SnG better for EDC because of it's weight and FFG, which does slice better than my spanto XM.

Both are super tough.

big3.jpg

Thanks guys!!! I have my eye on a second hand NIB that I think I'll get for my B-day:D I like my SnG but I would prefer a perfectly centered blade (OCD:eek:)
Some day I'll have a Sebenza too just for the kicks... I want to have every (almost) good knife out there to try it for myself. I like to make my own opinions
Thanks guys!

I have had all three, and I like them all. The SnG and XM-18 have stayed.

IMO, the F&F of XM is better. That said, I like SnG better for EDC because of it's weight and FFG, which does slice better than my spanto XM.

Both are super tough.

big3.jpg

Pretty well sums it up right there. I have three of each (3 Hinderers/3 Striders) and love them all. I got rid of the Sebenza. Not cause it was a bad knife, it just wasn't for me. The SNG's and XM's are very different from the CRK.

Between Hinderer and Strider, IMO, The XM's definately are a cut above in F&F and overall quality but you can't go wrong with either. It all comes down to personal taste.

I cannot comment on the large Sebenza as my first ever was just recently ordered. However, I do own a Strider SMF and a Hinderer XM-24. Bottom line...I EDC my XM-24 Spanto flipper. Both knives are awesome or I would not own them. I find the 24 a great EDC but the Spanto ground prybar of a blade is a tad thick for some things. My next Hinderer will hopefully be a slicer grind and probably in 3.5". That is about the only thing that will dethrone my XM-24 as my primary folder.

Do you guys with 3.5'' and 4'' flippers have had any issue trying to deploy the knife with the flipper?
Just curious. Looking at a non-flipper

I have the large sebenza, 3.5 XM-18, SNG and SMF. I like them all for different reasons.

If you like a big chunky knife in your hand then the strider or hinderer is a good choice. Both have thick solid blades which should survive a nuclear blast. F&F is excellent on the Sebenza and Hinderer but hit and miss on the striders. The Hinderer and Strider do not carry as well in the pocket as the sebenza. The CC range in Strider are a bit better in the pocket, especially the SNG, the SMF is still a bit big and blocky.

All are made from great materials.

Bottom line:
All 3 brands are good knives So the choice will come down to what style of knife you like and which one suits your needs best.

I only ever carry the sebenza because of it's perfect ergos and proportions and F&F and feels superb in the hand during use. It slides into the pocket and you don't even know it's there, the strider and XM-18 are just too big and chunky for my tastes.

Thanks Giant1! also let me know if you wanna get rid of your XM-18 since its too bulky ;-) (not kidding)
cheers
I have the large sebenza, 3.5 XM-18, SNG and SMF. I like them all for different reasons.

If you like a big chunky knife in your hand then the strider or hinderer is a good choice. Both have thick solid blades which should survive a nuclear blast. F&F is excellent on the Sebenza and Hinderer but hit and miss on the striders. The Hinderer and Strider do not carry as well in the pocket as the sebenza. The CC range in Strider are a bit better in the pocket, especially the SNG, the SMF is still a bit big and blocky.

All are made from great materials.

Bottom line:
All 3 brands are good knives So the choice will come down to what style of knife you like and which one suits your needs best.

I only ever carry the sebenza because of it's perfect ergos and proportions and F&F and feels superb in the hand during use. It slides into the pocket and you don't even know it's there, the strider and XM-18 are just too big and chunky for my tastes.

I've owned both - all good, just different. My only thought is that the SnG and XM-18 were a little small for me - I am a SmF and an XM-24 kinda guy.

The ergos are really different. The Hinderers are very comfortable in the hand due to the curved scales. The Striders let you "choke up" on the knife, which gives me better control.

Hinderers are able to be customized, whereas Striders are pretty much "as-is".

Good news is if you try both and don't particularly care for one you shouldn't have any problem selling it.

If you are looking for carryability go with a non flipper XM-18. I carry that knife every day, all day, everywhere. It is not intrusive at all and I can slide my hand in my pocket to retrive things like change and keys with no problem I can't do that with the Striders.

Read Jason P's excellent review on the XM-18. He mentions that very thing.

Better answers to your questions. My Hinderer XM-24 feels more refined than the Strider XMF. Rounder, smoother edges and such. It clips snugly in the pocket and is easy to deploy. My Strider's clip came tight and took some time to loosen a bit, still hugs a tad tight for quick use. Personally, I like knives that open with one hand. I dislike the need to use both hands to either open it or get it out of my pocket.
The flipper on my 24 works great but I use it about half the time. A simple wrist flick will deploy the blade thanks to great overall design/build as well as the weighty blade's momentum once you get her moving. Aiding in quicker pocket removal and blade deployment, I use a very short piece of parcord with a titanium bead in the lanyard hole on my 24. I have a similar lanyard on my SMF.

Thanks for all the replies guys!! nice to see pics and get answers
Cheers

When you can, try the XM's in hand and you'll understand soon enough...especially when you want a well crafted beast of a knife...

Don' have a CRK yet (on my "to buy" list) but have two Strider SMF CC's and just got my first Hinderer XM-24. Love all three knives. I find the CC's are a little less noticeable in the pocket but not so much so that the XM isn't getting great carry time. Really love the innovation of the spanto grind.

Back