XM-18/24 Vs Strider SnG/SMF? have you had both? thought please

This is a good post. Now b/w the XM 18 and XM 24, which would be best? I like smaller blades. I own a small sebenza, b/c I prefer smaller blades b/c they are not noticeable and the weight is acceptable.
If you like smaller blades the XM-18 3'' would be the one 4 you.
FYI the XM18 3.5'' would be like the large Sebenza in length but wider

NICE! It did happen. :D

Now get back to work so you can fill that big hole in your bank account;)

This is a good post. Now b/w the XM 18 and XM 24, which would be best? I like smaller blades. I own a small sebenza, b/c I prefer smaller blades b/c they are not noticeable and the weight is acceptable.

I think you just answered your own question. You can get an XM-18 in 3" blade size too. :)

I'm still waiting to order one hopefully next month, XM-18. I'll post a separate post when I get it.

Davor, I just received an XM-24, and it is, to put it simply, huge, for a folder, at least for me. For reference, I was edc'ing Benchmade 940 and 960 Osbornes for a long time, then went to an Umnumzaan (actually a Star-Tac) for about the last 2 weeks...now for the last two days I've been edc'ing the XM-24, and while the blade is barely longer than the Umnumzaan, the extra heighth of the XM blade makes it feel and like a much larger knife. I feel like it's pulling my pants down...but my oh my, the Hinderer is something else, man! I wouldn't give it up! Saving now for an XM-18, probably a 3.5...dang, who am I kidding, I can't stop at the 3.5, I'll probably get a 3 down the road, too...
And even though I feel that the XM-24 is heavy (again for edc), I'm really tempted to get the Ti scale, which will probably up the weight even more...by the way, anyone know the difference in weight between the Ti liner & G10 scale vs the new Ti scale?

Sorry, BBW, didn't mean to hijack....

XM 18 with a 3.5 inch slicer blade would be my last ultimate folder, until I hit the lottery. I hope both those wishes come true. :)

Last edited:
And even though I feel that the XM-24 is heavy (again for edc), I'm really tempted to get the Ti scale, which will probably up the weight even more...by the way, anyone know the difference in weight between the Ti liner & G10 scale vs the new Ti scale?

XM-24 equipped with G10/Ti liner - 7.8 oz
XM-24 equipped with Hinderer Ti Scales - ~8.7 oz
XM-24 equipped with Ti Frag Scales - ~8.9 oz.

XM-18 3.5" equipped with G10/Ti liner - 5.6 oz
XM-18 3.5" equipped with Hinderer Ti Scales - ~6.4 oz

After I discovered the Rick Hinderer XM-18 I sold all my Strider folders,,, 'nuff said ;)

ps: I do still own a couple of large Annual LE Sebenza's from the birthyears of my two sons though,,,

After I discovered the Rick Hinderer XM-18 I sold all my Strider folders,,, 'nuff said ;)

ps: I do still own a couple of large Annual LE Sebenza's from the birthyears of my two sons though,,,

And I sold all 4 of my Sebenzas....nuff said here too! ;)

XM-24 equipped with G10/Ti liner - 7.8 oz
XM-24 equipped with Hinderer Ti Scales - ~8.7 oz
XM-24 equipped with Ti Frag Scales - ~8.9 oz.

XM-18 3.5" equipped with G10/Ti liner - 5.6 oz
XM-18 3.5" equipped with Hinderer Ti Scales - ~6.4 oz

Thanks, RDA, that's good info.

It may be just me but I think that Striders and Hinderers look a little too aggressive for
some situations, especially if you work in an office. I once whipped an SMF out to open
a box and a co-worker gasped and gave me the look. Since then, I got myself a small
insingo that has been my EDC for work days.

On weekends I'm free to use my Sebenza 21, Umnumzaan or XM-18. Got rid of the SMF
though. Too big for me.

Felt compelled to share.
image-4.jpg

image-3.jpg

image-2.jpg

I have a 3.5 XM 18 slicer on the way and I'll send a review in a few weeks. I currently own and use a CRK regular small sebenza with a BG 42 blade daily. Its an awesome folder. I also own a CRK mnandi, beautiful slicer. I use my knives so I'll give my honest opinon. From what I read here, I can't wait to receive it.

Last edited:
Current list price for a large Sebenza is $410 with the Zann running $425. I would love to find a Hinderer for anyway close to that. Did find one dealer that has them in stock but the are selling for >$900 for the 3.5".

And now CRK has raised his folder prices through the roof and they cost a LOT more than one from Rick directly and about the price of dinner for two difference, of an an aftermarket XM-18. Buy One! :thumbup:

I have an SNG DGG with tanto grind before I owned an XM-18 3.5" flipper with a spanto grind. I carried both knives for about a month and I found myself carrying my XM-18 more than my SNG. I even carried each knife while running at a nearby park. Even though my SNG is lighter and have a smaller profile; I prefer my XM-18 because it holds its edge longer, can be easily retrieved from my pocket than my SNG DGG, no play at all and is build like a tank. My SNG is in my drawer collecting dust and I carry my XM-18 everyday. I'll post pictures next time.

Chibbi, I'm actually considering selling my Striders and the rest of my knives for Hinderers.

Chibbi, I'm actually considering selling my Striders and the rest of my knives for Hinderers.

That is exactly what I've been doing, out of about 50 folders I have 2 Spydercos, 2 Benchmades, 2 Kershaw, and the rest have been sold & money spent on or saved for Hinderers! ;)

Back