Your choice of traditional folder for woods

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by thejamppa, Jul 30, 2010.

1. thejamppa

thejamppa

Aug 20, 2009
    Hello everyone!

I was wondering what is your choice of slipjoint for Nessmuk inspired combination of: Fixed Blade, Axe and Slipjoint.

My previous modernized version included
    Fiskars Handy 600 axe 12" axe
    Modified Scrapyard Dumpster Mutt 5" fixed blade
    Zero Tolerance 0500 MUDD 3"+ Folder

I want to go bit more traditional line though.

I am thinking Wetterlings 12" or 15" woodsman axe (I can get it afforably 2nd handed)
    Bark River Kephart (already own) Fixed blade

Now the slipjoint / Folder. I was thinking in the line of full sized trapper or similar. I got Parker-Frost trapper and I was thinking perhaps next year get GEC trapper...

Perhaps for now Buck 110 when I find something else. But what would be your choice? Suggestions or ideas?

2. rifon2

rifon2

Oct 9, 2005
    Since you already have a good fixed blade, I'm not sure why you'd need a full size trapper or similar. Especially a large one like the GEC Pioneer #23 (for example).
    Although it is a very nice knife. :)

Instead, I'd definitely consider a SAK.
    Maybe a Farmer or Pioneer in Alox, a One HandTrekker, a Tinker or Super Tinker.

That way, you'll have some pretty useful tools as well as an additional blade (or two).

3. lambertiana

lambertiana Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2000
    For the folder, this one is what I use in the woods more than any other, a GEC #73 with ebony scales:
    [​IMG]

And here it is with my trio (the fixed blade varies, I have several from Ray Laconico that get rotated):
    [​IMG]

4. Modoc ED

Modoc ED Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2010
    A SAK Camper would be a good choice as would a SAK Hiker.

Of course, it is hard to beat the vernerable Buck 110.

You don't have to be restricted to carrying only one folder. They are so handy and tuck into so many places that to carry only one seems a bit silly. Heck, I carry two folders every day when I'm just out and about doing my chores and errands.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  5. dalee100

dalee100

Mar 15, 2008
    Hi,

I have mostly carried a Stockman as my folder when I'm afield. Simply because that's the knife I've most often owned. And I've always liked having the three different blades in my pocket.

A full sized trapper would be a great choice. It's a rugged pattern with two really useful blades styles. I know the Spey blade isn't all that popular anymore, but it really comes into it's own when dressing out small and even not so small game. The only problem is, if it's even a problem, is getting one with good stainless steel blades. Fortunately, good plain high carbon steel models are easy to get.

I must confess, last fall I started carrying a Case Gunboat in a sheath on my belt and a Vic Hiker in my pocket. That little saw quickly proved it's worth trimming small branches on the trail. And with it's two blades and the three on the Gunboat, I carried 5 edges in two pocketable packages. I think I will continue that pairing.

Dale

6. stockman242

stockman242

Jan 14, 2008
    I too wold go with a smaller blade, capable of more delicate work AND easily sharpened to a scalpel in the field.

My choice would either be a pen knife in the 2" range or (you know me) a TL-29.

Peter

7. GRIM 62

GRIM 62

Mar 29, 2009
    I prefer the Stockman pattern above all others.Anything by Queen,GEC,Case,old Schrade,Buck,or various other companies would serve nicely.Jim

8. CorpsmanUP!

CorpsmanUP!

Jun 11, 2007
    Yes, an Estwing camp axe (hatchet-no pic), my new Northwoods Rangeland Cocobolo in 1095, Case large folding hunder in CV, and Case mini trapper in Stainless (for food).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. crbauhs

crbauhs Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2007
    I am all about the Stockman. It is just such a hard folder to beat in the field. It can do it all...make great fuzz sticks, gut and animal, make a trap, start a fire, plus with three blades you can use each one differently for different tasks. I always have a stockman with me while I go out in the woods. Shoot whenever I leave the house.

10. jackknife

jackknife Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Oct 2, 2004
    When I was young enough to still do backpacking and I hunted, my woods folder of choice was my old Buck stockman. At 3 7/8ths, I guess it would classify as a medium stockman, and it did an amazing job for over 20 years and 4 continents. I liked having three different blades to choose, and small enough to ride in jeans or fatigue shirt pocket. It was a general camp cutter, trout and bird knife, and dirty deeds knife all rolled into one. Later on I experimented with sodbusters large and small, and found they did okay too, but I missed my stockman.

A close second would be my old Boy Scout knife or a sak like my old Wenger SI. But I found I just don't have much call for tools off in the woods like in town, so I don't miss the tools so much. If I have to open a can of chilli, that's what my P-38 is for.

If I have my old Plumb boy scout hatchet or a saw along, I don't have much use for a larger knife. Come to think of it, as an "older" retired gentleman of leasure, I don't need as much knife now as before anyways. :D

11. thejamppa

thejamppa

Aug 20, 2009
    I have been drooling Buck 303 Cadet for quite sometimes, maybe it fits the bill? Thanks for suggestions guys, keep 'em comming.

12. coyote711

coyote711

Sep 19, 2009
    A 303, or as Jackknife mentioned, its' big brother the 301, could be a good companion for the fixed blade and axe.

Just to fuel the fire a little bit ;), here's a (not so good) pic of my 303:
    303.jpg (click to enlarge)

13. thejamppa

thejamppa

Aug 20, 2009
    coyote711: I've been looking that yellow delrin handled Buck stockman for long now. not even the bay has those in sellers who ship oversea. That sucks!

14. sunnyd

sunnyd Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 17, 2004
    If you are going into a hunting situation and have to make camp in the woods because you're spending some significant time there without fixed shelters like cabins, and in terms of days and nights their, and preparing camp with your typical after the successful hunt chores that would be necessary, like setting up camp with tents, fire-pit building, field dressing your game post harvests, meat quartering & butchering along with other preparation/cooking and survival chores, then I recommend a good lightweight axe, or good quality hatchet, and decent camp type sheath knife for skinning, tendon cutting and perhaps even caping if required. Additionally, I always personally opt and need a good quality 3 or 4 blade Stockman with a punch blade/tool in my pocket regardless of any situation..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you are just hiking and woods walking on a day trip you'd need nothing more than a good traditional 3 or 4 blade Stockman folder w/punch blade in my opinion or any folding pocket knife with a punch blade for that fact. And remember, a Harness Jack pattern or a Scout knife pattern will also do in a pinch as long as she has sharp blades including a punch blade.

However, my personal favorite is a four blade and long ago discontinued in the 1970's Case model # 64047P..

[​IMG]

Best,
    Anthony

15. dirtpig67

dirtpig67

Nov 8, 2007
    For a big folder for the woods. I would reach for a Sunfish or Elephant Toenail pattern.

http://www.greateasternknives.com/images/gec_36.jpg

Go big or go home:D

I am slightly biased as I have a GEC Northfield #36 Sunfish in stag that is awesome. That big fat wide blade screams sturdiness and would hold up to a lot of hard use. Most slipjoints are not made for extreme hard use woods applications, but it is nice to know that your knife would probably be able to handle such use in a pinch.

Before moving to NZ, I lived in very rural Alaska and live and worked outside in the boreal forest. I was a big fan of a smaller fixed blade, ax/hatchet combo in that environment. The ax was a mission critical item especially when out in -40F weather miles from shelter or help. The "woods" are different in every part of the world and the tools to successfully work and/or survive in those specific environment are going to be different as well. The particular set of tools required in one environment may be worthless in another.

Edit: I think sunnyd was posting his reply at the same time as me and I concur with a lot of his comments.

16. thejamppa

thejamppa

Aug 20, 2009
    Forrest here are what Canadian's would call boreal forrests too. The Hell's lake national park is not too far from where I live and its classified as Southern boreal forrest (I really need to go hike there sometimes, scenery is awesome) I agree with axe. Especially during winter axe is really good when forst has hardened trees and turned moisture and water into ice.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  17. navihawk

navihawk

Feb 21, 2006

Nice combo Anthony. Whats the brand?Looks like a german sheath.

For me I always bring my Estwing axe,the Wave, and a stockman, and a good steel fire poker, and on my next trip, this Mountan Man....

[​IMG]

Steve

18. sunnyd

sunnyd Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 17, 2004
    One can't go wrong with an Estwing axe or Estwing hatchet, decent carbon steel Stockman and or Mountain Man and thats a fact!

The Woodsman pair Hatchet/Fixed Blade combination I've shown here and used many times over the years was passed to me by my Uncle and is a Hi-Carbon 1940's-50's produced by Western back in the days. These have cut up there share to be sure! :)

Anthony

19. Arathol

Arathol

Jan 1, 2003
    How about these?

[​IMG]

20. crbauhs

crbauhs Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2007
    I thought that was an old Western setup. Those are great. I bet you love that set.