Your DREAM Fiddleback

So far my favorite is my full height convex 5/32 bushcrafter; it also has a slightly pointier tip than standard, it is a terrific knife. Now if it were in stainless....

Thurin mentioned his sister in laws fear when she saw a spyderco. Would a Karda inspire that same feeling? A smaller case folder?

My father in law has always had a little case-like folder on him. I've seen him use it all the time for opening mail, opening gifts at Christmas, cleaning his nails, etc. It's never caused a reaction with his daughter. Then again, it was so dull that even opening mail with it took some work. I believe it was probably a Spyderco Sage 1 I was carrying when my S-I-L freaked. This is the reason I now have a teeny little Spyderco Balance with Carbon Fiber scales in my watch pocket every day. It gets a "how cute" instead of a "OMG A KNIFE!".

For some people, regardless of how small or cute it is, knives will be an issue and they're not going to change regardless of my trying to educate them on usefulness of knives as tools. I'm not going to stop carrying or using because of them. But I don't try to purposefully aggravate the situation by pulling out a ParaMilitary 2 in front of someone like my S-I-L when a Balance will serve the needs at hand.

To tie this in with the Dream Knife thread instead of totally derailing it (sorry), I'll add:

EDKarda with White Linen or Ivory Paper, Convex on 1/8" would probably get pretty close.

No love for the Woodsman? If I was stranded out in the woods and could only have one Knife that would be the one. I have one in 5/32" but would like another in 3/16" saber grind with black linen micarta bolster and liner topped with Desert Iron Wood, white pinstripe. I would put it to use as a light camp Knife. It also makes for an outstanding food prep Knife.

Chap-

Not bolstered but it does have the curly q. What do you think? These are two of my three (I've got an African blackwood EDKarda not pictured)

102_7558.JPG

Camp Knife with full height grind would be real nice. I do like the tapered tangs on the smaller knives but for 7 inches of 3/16" steel, a non-tapered tang might be nice to balance out that blade a bit. Finish it off with some black burlap micarta with a layer of orange G-10 would make this one just about perfect in my book.

Edit~While it seemed to me that some handle weight might be nice for balance on this one, re-reading Mistwalker's thoughts suggests that the tapered tang Camp Knife is well balanced anyway. A little less weight on this one would also have its benefits.

Last edited:
I wonder if Andy is reading our liking at all?

I have changed the idea of my "dream knife" over and over again and I think I settled on an Arete in 1/8 scandi in O1 with a tapered tang for the better balance and slabs in Cocobole that are extra beefy (mid palm swell of approx. 25 mm!) and make up for the taper!

I have had a Bushcrafter, a Bushfinger and still have an Arete in convex with "regular" handle. The Bushfinger handle came very close.

That's one good looking Woodsman! I could totally see it on the belt of a Mountain man or fur trapper from 150+ years ago. The wood handle, Curly q. and spalting give it a very old school look. :)

Just a plain hiking buddy wearing some natural canvas micarta with black pins. No liners, no fancy wood,

That's one good looking Woodsman! I could totally see it on the belt of a Mountain man or fur trapper from 150+ years ago. The wood handle, Curly q. and spalting give it a very old school look. :)

Glad you like it, Heber. This actually was my dream Fiddleback. It's funny how once you have your dream Fiddleback, you immediately look forward to you next one. We live in Provo by the way.

1/8" S35VN full height convex Hiking Buddy with coffee burlap handles for me, maybe at Blade 2013! I can wish right?

I had these 2 beautiful Fiddlebacks but had to sell them when I was just about broke:

DSCN0729_zpse3583066.jpg

DSCN0728_zpsfa07f3c9.jpg

Now I am waiting for the right Bushcrafter and Camp knife to offered.:thumbup:

1/8" convex Ladyfinger in 3V :p Andy with a tapered tang, butterscotch linen micarta with red liner and mosaic pins :D Not holding my breath Andy..

I guess with the camp knife and the Bushboot, I now have my dream Fiddlebacks...and the rest are just fantasies...and there are lots of possibilities there that Andy could nail any time. Hopefully at some point when I can afford them :) I guess my main fantasy Fiddlebacks would be similar to the above matching pair...a matching pair of Woodsman and Bushboot, both with bolsters and some exotic, highly figured, highly moisture resistant wood :D

I'd like an arête with some bolstered shadetree on it, and a 3/4 grind , oh yeah tapered tang too

The one that keeps me up at night would be kind of like a bush boot but with a stainless pin and some titanium parts that do stuff.....

Right now my dream FB is a Bushcrafter in 5/32" Convex grind with Dark wood over light wood or over light Micarta with a Blue or Orange pinstripe.
I love the look of Andys' wood handles, I've been watching for one every Fiddleback Friday or at least one close to that configuration but no luck so far.:(

Back