Your favorite pivot lube?

Wahl Clipper Oil, works well and is food safe. Since I don't use assisted or auto knives I can't speak to how it work in them.

I purchased Go Juice about a year ago and was not impressed. Not saying its NG, but I find Tri-flow has performed better then anything else I have tried. Had cleaned and oiled with Go Juice and in a few weeks the knife was getting a bit sticky to open. A little bit of Tri-flow got the knife opening like it should. Still the same after two months. Haven't found anything that out performs Tri-flow. They also make it in a dry lube, but I continue with the liquid.

I think using gun oil maybe convenient but also may not be ideal. All the modern miracle stuff is formulated to stick in a very hot gun and prevent carbon build up.

Nothing you would see with a knife.

I think using gun oil maybe convenient but also may not be ideal. All the modern miracle stuff is formulated to stick in a very hot gun and prevent carbon build up.

Nothing you would see with a knife.
It is super expensive for the size of the bottle you get, and is overkill in my opinion, same as fishing reel oil, over priced and bad value. I already have some so it is something i can use, but ballistol was originally designed for cleaning guns and is very often used for the cleaning of powder deposits in modern Black Powder firearms. Compared to the size of the small bottles of oil for firearms it is a hell of a lot cheaper. I know it stinks, but just explaining how it is better value than most other gun oils. Most people have 3 in 1 oil or sewing machine oil sitting around somewhere, it is a good a value as you will get, and works. But value for money, mineral oil will always be the best value.

As a National benchrest competitor I can go on and on and on about lube. Any expensive oil or grease advertised for the gun or knife industry is voodoo. Most might as well be labeled transmission fluid.

prolong EP-2 is a fantastic grease and what I use to torque my barrels and grease my lugs and raceways. $15 is a lifetime supply.

For oil I use a boutique company called Hobo Oil. It’s super slick, reputable, cheap. Highly recommended.

Both of those would be excellent in knives…but really anything will work as knives won’t generate heat, friction is nearly non-existent, and there’s not other materials to cause corrosiveness.

so in summary, don’t overthink knife lube.

I’m always cutting food with whatever folder I carry, so it’s good ol’ cheap mineral oil for me. It’s a couple bucks for a bottle that should last forever.

I have a couple I don’t ever use for food and those get either mineral oil or sometimes 3-in-1 oil (depending on which is closer).

I’m always cutting food with whatever folder I carry, so it’s good ol’ cheap mineral oil for me. It’s a couple bucks for a bottle that should last forever.

I have a couple I don’t ever use for food and those get either mineral oil or sometimes 3-in-1 oil (depending on which is closer).

I have been using mineral oil more and more for knives also. I use the other oils more for firearms now.

KPL user here and I'm 100% satisfied with it's performance.

Having said that, I haven't compared it to anything cheaper which might also perform flawlessly. I relubed one PM2 with the heavy variant and I love the hydraulic feel it gives the knife.

It's not cheap, but the applicator built into the bottle is helpful and the two I have will last me for life.

I read someone asking about Pro Shot Lubricants. They are an excellent company producing top quality lubes. You can trust their USA made products.

Hey Guys,

Just wondering what you guys like to use for pivot lube. Whats your favorite for knives on washers and do you prefer something different for knives on bearings?

Been looking around and there seems to be a lot of different thoughts. Some people seem to like grease, others oil, some recommend bike chain lube. I'm kinda leaning towards the bike chain lube as it should be better at not collecting dirt.

I've got a can of wd-40 bike chain lube that I'm tempted to try out but thought I'd ask before I did something horribly wrong lol
You are probably more confused than ever now.o_O. If you already have WD-40 bike chain lube use that it will be fine. Save your cash for more important things, like knives and sharpening stuff.:thumbsup:;)

Thanks guys! Really appreciate all the suggestions.

Went to the local Canadian Tire to see what they had, bought a can of Ballistol, wish they had a warning about the smell. Like anise and pine with a undertone of really bad BO. Does seem to work really wall though but that smell.. there goes $15 lol.

Edit: Maybe not a loss, that stuff works a treat for cleaning. Have an old CRKT M16 Big Dog Ti (actually the knife that got me into knives) which has a bead blasted blade finish that has taken on a little rust. Cleaned it up nicely, looks great again.

Edit 2: Well, it's official, all my knives and multi tools smell like Ballistol now, but they sure work and look nice.

Last edited:
I went back to Ballistol and use it on everything. I did an exposure test on my Benelli Supernova using EWL Slip 2000 and corrosion would start developing on the barrel. For reference, I always have the shotgun out in the orchard with me getting wet, etc. Wiped down occasionally.

Started using Ballistol and was quite surprised that no rust showed up under the same elements and duration and handling.

My HK, Beretta, 1911 get a good wipedown with Ballistol now, even the magazines inside and out.

Perfect for my knives.

I wish a wise old man told me to use it when I was young.

Hey guys. Gunny Glide. I used to use Go Juice. Gunny Glide is where it's at. It's not your typical lubricant. It's a graphene based lubricant, graphene being a single chain of carbon atoms. Graphene has the highest lubricity of any single material and is 200x stronger than steel. The graphene burnishes into the 2 moving parts and creates a brand new interface between the two moving parts. The action continues to improve over time, where as traditional lubricants dry out and wear off after a few days. Gunny Glide. Trust me.

Back